• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What if Speedy comes back healthy?

dakast

IF Claxton can stay healthy, and that's one monumental IF, then that means Bibby will 100% be traded by the deadline. If not, it means that Claxton will be the #3 PG behind Bibby and Acie. Then again, Woodson would invent some way to give Claxton more PT than Acie...

It really means Law would have time to find his game, while on the bench. Bibby will be the starter and I suppose he will be as good as he always have been ( which is pretty good). Speedy healthy gets the back up role without a doubt.

So far he has been healthy this summer.

I heard the interview with Rick Sund this morning on 680 (replayed from yesterday), and it sounds like Sund wants to get a good read on Law.

My take is that Sund would like Law to really step it up this season so that he can move Bibby to fill out the roster. However, I don't think Sund is convenced, yet, that Law can be the PG of the future.

Claxton's health is immaterial in many ways. IMO, you have to treat Claxton like you treat Mike Hampton. You play it game by game and see what happens. After 30 consecutive healthy games, then maybe you start to believe that Claxton can be a contributing member of the team, until then you don't count on him at all.

A healthy Claxton, however, makes the Hawks better. With Claxton healthy Law can spend a lot of time at the 2. IMO, Law at the 2 would really help him develop his offensive game. The NBA is starting to see more and more undersized SGs, so Law can be very useful against these sorts of guys (Gordon, Terry, Redd, Jones, etc), as Law can guard them.

Claxton's health is immaterial in many ways. IMO, you have to treat Claxton like you treat Mike Hampton. You play it game by game and see what happens. After 30 consecutive healthy games, then maybe you start to believe that Claxton can be a contributing member of the team, until then you don't count on him at all.

A healthy Claxton, however, makes the Hawks better. With Claxton healthy Law can spend a lot of time at the 2. IMO, Law at the 2 would really help him develop his offensive game. The NBA is starting to see more and more undersized SGs, so Law can be very useful against these sorts of guys (Gordon, Terry, Redd, Jones, etc), as Law can guard them.

If Speedy plays 30 consecutive games he will have contributed, mightily. As far as moving over as sg, that be Bibby.

If Speedy plays 30 consecutive games he will have contributed, mightily. As far as moving over as sg, that be Bibby.

Bibby at SG, that would be a disaster. The dude can't guard PGs him on SGs would be horrible. But, in many ways that's an academic discussion as defensively Law can be the 2 and Bibs the 1, while on offense those roles are reversed.

Nontheless, a Bibs/Law backcourt should be tried throughout the early part of the season.

Agree w/ fros and lunar.

Assume that Claxton is going to go out at any point.

Considering that Bibby and Acie seem injury prone as well, hopefully a "healthy" speedy means we will have at least two point guards on the roster at any given time.

As far as moving to SG, I guess Acie would be an off the ball candidate because it is simpler to learn. Claxton played off the ball quite a bit with Paul in NOH. Bibby has never played any minutes a SG in his entire career, he is a scoring point guard but definitely a point guard.

Speedy can comeback and have a great year off the bench. Acie could show the potential of being the team future at Pg. Neither of those scenarios will lead to Bibby being traded. Bibby is in this thing for the entire season. Only way I see the Hawks trading Bibby is if the team isn't in playoff contention by the trading deadline. Then it will come down to what teams are offering us. We seem to always get offer garbage for players we try to trade at the deadline.

• Premium Member

Law isn't athletic enough and doesn't have the perimeter shot to play at the 2. Bibby can't guard a damp stick at PG, much less SG. Claxton is as tall as my wife.

Hence the need for a combo guard (preferably a young one with decent upside).

Bibby's contract may be the most valuable asset he brings to the table next year.

You know we can get something for a big fat expiring deal.

The Hawks didn't do anything last season until they brought in Bibby. I find it interesting to see everyone want him traded at the deadline. Acie hasn't proven jack squat and Speedy is a wet papertowel ready to fall apart.

Bibby's contract may be the most valuable asset he brings to the table next year.

You know we can get something for a big fat expiring deal.

Especially with such a potentially deep FA class.

Edited by EazyRoc

• Premium Member
I heard the interview with Rick Sund this morning on 680 (replayed from yesterday), and it sounds like Sund wants to get a good read on Law.

My take is that Sund would like Law to really step it up this season so that he can move Bibby to fill out the roster. However, I don't think Sund is convenced, yet, that Law can be the PG of the future.

Sund is right about Acie. Folks he played in the dang rookie league this summer and still shot like .380. He has to step up and play this year and he is a long way from Bibby right now.

Law might become a Vinnie Johnson type player that used to play for Detroit and that would be great, but he is not a pg.

Well if speedy is healthy i see Acie and Speedy pretty much alternating playing off the bench, some games acie will play more, some guys speedy will play more but i think speedy will get the majority of time off the bench. I dont think woody cares about devolping Acie when he just wants to win and he prefers vets. None of our PGs can play SG and i dont even wanna attempt to develop Acie at SG, he far better suits PG (but he needs to improve his playmaking and passing).