• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

(Almost) All in! -- New Sekou

Swish

Joe Johnson and Mike Bibby haven’t shared space on a basketball court since May, when the Hawks’ season came to a crashing end in a Game 7 loss to the Boston Celtics.

Sure, they’d spoken a few times and even saw each other out Friday night in Atlanta.

But until Monday they hadn’t worked together on the court in months.

Easing back into the routine, however, proved to be no problem, Johnson said.

Long post with Speedy blurb further down.

click

• Admin
If Wafer is a player it changes for Acie. Flip is likely a better PG than Acie right now. If Von can back up Joe, Acie will be challenged.

How about Acie and Zaza for Chris Wilcox?

Flip is really not much of pg. He is more of sg. He is better at scoring and penetrating. He is not much of a passer. He is a decent ball handler though.

• Moderators
If Wafer is a player it changes for Acie. Flip is likely a better PG than Acie right now. If Von can back up Joe, Acie will be challenged.

How about Acie and Zaza for Chris Wilcox?

I think you are making too much of this. Flip is not a PG and isn't the long-term solution. We drafted Acie to be our post-Bibby PG. He remains the guy who will likely fill that role. Last season, he came in with a reputation as a standout scorer and questionable distributor. He showed better-than-expected passing and penetration skills and was much worse than expected shooting the ball. If he can correct his shot, he should be able to be a major part of the rotation right away. In either case, we need Acie or someone else on the roster to take over the PG spot at some point not too far off in the next few years. Unless you are getting someone like Paul in the draft, our team will be sufficiently advanced that we will not want to get someone like Rajon Rondo as a rookie or Mike Conley as a rookie. You'd much rather have someone who has been brough along and can step in and contribute right away. We need to do what is necessary to prepare Law for that transition. I would not consider dealing him for a disposable player like Wilcox who would be the third best PF on our team.

If Flip has to play any kind of significant minutes at PG, our season is done. We might as well tank if that is the case.

• Moderators
If Flip has to play any kind of significant minutes at PG, our season is done. We might as well tank if that is the case.

The same goes for Wafer playing significant minutes at SG. He can shoot but can't guard anyone.

• Moderators
When did Wafer and Delk come into the picture? Are the Hawks interested in either or are they just getting work?

I think Delk is retired at this point and probably just playing for fun. Maybe he is contemplating a comeback, but he has played overseas the last few years so it probably wouldn't be in the NBA even if that were the case.

• Premium Member
I think Delk is retired at this point and probably just playing for fun. Maybe he is contemplating a comeback, but he has played overseas the last few years so it probably wouldn't be in the NBA even if that were the case.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that.

I think Delk is looking for third PG status... He will fight with an injured Speedy. Delk is a good distributor. He's just not a scorer (similar to Speedy). Wafer is probably a guy trying to stay in shape.

• Admin

I think Delk is looking for third PG status... He will fight with an injured Speedy. Delk is a good distributor. He's just not a scorer (similar to Speedy). Wafer is probably a guy trying to stay in shape.

We don't need another pg. We have plenty. We have Acie and Speedy and if one of them is hurt then the third pg will be Flip who is also our backup sg. JJ also can play some pg if necessary. Our focus needs to be on another big man.

But Delk can score. Dude dropped 50 in the NBA. Then again, I've seen AJ score 40+, in the playoffs no less. Still, Tony can play. Why would he ever sign with us again, though? We jerked him around and didn't play him. I guess if there are no other options... we are still technically an NBA team, so...

• Moderators
But Delk can score. Dude dropped 50 in the NBA. Then again, I've seen AJ score 40+, in the playoffs no less. Still, Tony can play. Why would he ever sign with us again, though? We jerked him around and didn't play him. I guess if there are no other options... we are still technically an NBA team, so...

Woody sat him on the bench 3 years ago when we had no good PG options. Why would he want to play him now that we have much better PGs? I mean, I would love to see Delk play again but the guy has been an assistant coach for the last year for a reason.

• Admin
Woody sat him on the bench 3 years ago when we had no good PG options. Why would he want to play him now that we have much better PGs? I mean, I would love to see Delk play again but the guy has been an assistant coach for the last year for a reason.

We don't need him.

• Premium Member

I'm intrigued by Wafer. He's always been a good shooter/scorer but seemed a tad undersized at the SG spot. he can certainlt stretch the court for us. But we already have Mo to do that now, so I don't see any other purpose of signing him except depth.

Tony Delk? Hasn't he always been much more of a shooter than a distributor?

Well we have Evans and Flip as well as Gardner at the SG backup position.

We need a backup PF or C. We are fine at the guard position and we have depth there. Its up front that we need some more depth.

We know not what a Gardner, Morris, a Hunter, a Law and/or a Speedy(health-wise) will bring. We know about Jeremy, and Mario(It ain't much). So Wafer is welcomed.

Depth ain't bad.

In fact, we don't even know if Mario or Jeremy will be in camp. We have 14 signed and I expect 3-4 more to be in camp.

All said, yeah we need another big.