• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Georgia vs Alabama

DrReality

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Radio made the point today that GA has better depth that Ala and that should make a difference the later we get in the game. If we can execute our offense and mix it up I think we can beat them by 7 or more.

I doubt there is a team in the country with better depth than Georga. Even after losing their best defensive and offense linemen.

I take back what I said about Mark the coach.

He has an overrated and undisciplined team.

Roll Tide! Alabama was more physical from the start. They had 3 scores before Georgia got their 2nd first down. Nick Saban demands excellence from his players and staff. Mental errors and lapses in judgement will not be tolerated. That's why Bama has less penalties all season than Georgia did last night, or any night for that matter.

Georgia is undisiplined and has been for some time. Richt is not a very good coach, imo. He's like 8th or 9th in the conference to me. I may be stretching that, but I'd take Houston Nutt or former Rams head coach and Falcons defensive coordinator Rich Brooks ahead of him easily. Who couldn't recruit at Georgia? They have, arguably the nicest facilities in the country as well as a 90,000 seat stadium and a great campus, pretty girls, etc. He recruits less than reputable players and then lets them run wild. On and off the field. Personally, I don't see how Georgia is really any better than with Donnan. Perception is often at odds with reality. Tennessee is down and the title season notwithstanding, Florida is not what they were with Spurrier. Disciplined or not though, Georgia was never in this game and wasn't going to be. Alabama has many weapons and a senior qb that is well protected. That's tough to beat when you throw in a talented defense led by Saban. It's a long season. The SEC is like the NFL now. These two teams could meet again. Or, one or both may fall. You have to bring it every week in this conference. Personally, I hope the Tide makes it, although I fear they can't run the gauntlet of Tennessee, LSU and Auburn. There's also Ole Miss and Miss St. So, we'll see. For Bama's sake though, I hope the Dawgs make it, too.

Edited by TroyMcClure

Florida is not what they were with Spurrier?? They just won the national title 2 yrs ago.

Yeah, that's what I said. Steve Spurrier never won less than 9 games and won ten or more 9 times. Included in that is a six year run of double digit victories. They have exactly one 10 win season since he left.

• Moderators

1 - UGA is never going to dominate until they get their OL to be an asset rather than a liability. Success in football starts in the trenches and UGA has a problem with their OL nearly every year. That is the single biggest recruiting problem for UGA, IMO.

2 - We just got our butts kicked on Saturday. There were some individuals issues that could be tweaked but Alabama was simply the more poised, more prepared team. That was a true low moment for Richt and his staff.

3 - IMO, we are better off with Richt than with Donovan. Look at where UGA has finished in the SEC East, the SEC, and nationally under each coach and Richt holds every advantage.

4 - That said, he still has some serious work to do with this team in terms of reigning them in. The penalties are out of control right now and the sheer number of them is making the refs more comfortable calling more marginal penalties which only compounds the problem. If UGA didn't already have the reputation for excessive penalties, things like the "jumping" and "tripping" calls last week probably don't get made and the "roughing" personal foul that led to UGA losing the early recovered fumble definitely doesn't get made. When you have the reputation for penalties, the refs give the other team the benefit of the doubt on those and that can be an absolute back breaker. Penalties have not made the difference in any game yet - just been factors - but they could very well be the difference in a closer game.

5 - As for waiting for Georgia Tech to beat the brakes off the dogs, I wouldn't hold your breath. Tech has been waiting for that for nearly a decade.

The one silver linning in that misserable performance is that UGA still has a chance to win the SEC East and then replay 'Bama in the SEC title game. By that time the O-line should be better.

That said, I was disgusted by that game. How do you lay an egg like that with all that was on the line. The guys were too pumped up possibly. But, I guess it really came down to the fact that 'Bama has possibly the most dominant d-line in the country. The Tide now have to be considered a serious contender for the BCS championship.

Congrats to the Tide, their fans, and their school.

Roll Tide! Alabama was more physical from the start. They had 3 scores before Georgia got their 2nd first down. Nick Saban demands excellence from his players and staff. Mental errors and lapses in judgement will not be tolerated. That's why Bama has less penalties all season than Georgia did last night, or any night for that matter.

Georgia is undisiplined and has been for some time. Richt is not a very good coach, imo. He's like 8th or 9th in the conference to me. I may be stretching that, but I'd take Houston Nutt or former Rams head coach and Falcons defensive coordinator Rich Brooks ahead of him easily. Who couldn't recruit at Georgia? They have, arguably the nicest facilities in the country as well as a 90,000 seat stadium and a great campus, pretty girls, etc. He recruits less than reputable players and then lets them run wild. On and off the field. Personally, I don't see how Georgia is really any better than with Donnan. Perception is often at odds with reality. Tennessee is down and the title season notwithstanding, Florida is not what they were with Spurrier. Disciplined or not though, Georgia was never in this game and wasn't going to be. Alabama has many weapons and a senior qb that is well protected. That's tough to beat when you throw in a talented defense led by Saban. It's a long season. The SEC is like the NFL now. These two teams could meet again. Or, one or both may fall. You have to bring it every week in this conference. Personally, I hope the Tide makes it, although I fear they can't run the gauntlet of Tennessee, LSU and Auburn. There's also Ole Miss and Miss St. So, we'll see. For Bama's sake though, I hope the Dawgs make it, too.

Richt not better than Donnan is just a ridiculous statement. Jim Donnan was a clueless buffoon that constantly finished with 7-4 records with top talent and could never get it done in big games. Since Richt has arrived, we have 2 SEC titles (3 appearances in the SECCG), and 2 BCS bowl wins (3 appearances). Georgia was supposed to have a down year last season and finished #2 overall in the final AP poll.

My problem is with our defensive coordinator Willie Martinez. He consistently sticks to the "bend but don't break" scheme and I hate it. JPW was roasting marshmellows behind that line on Saturday and we weren't trying to blitz at all. Give a QB that much time and you'll pay for it most of the time. What I would do to have Brian Van Gorder back.

Most of what you say about the actual game is correct though, it's ridiculous that we gave Alabama the first 10 points and all the momentum with penalties, even though I disagree with the first RTP call. If that call isn't made, Georgia gets the ball and all the momentum and it's a completely different ball game. Regardless, Alabama definitely has us destroyed up front and that was the difference in the game. But, I would LOVE to see them in the SECCG for a rematch.

1 - UGA is never going to dominate until they get their OL to be an asset rather than a liability. Success in football starts in the trenches and UGA has a problem with their OL nearly every year. That is the single biggest recruiting problem for UGA, IMO.

The OL was good last year and they'd be better this year if not for Sturdivant going down. I don't think a lot of people realize just how good and important he was. Not only was he the LT, but now with him gone the entire OL has to be shuffled. The OL didn't play terrible either way. Definitely not a liability. Jones actually held his own against "Mt. Cody." The same thing goes for Jeff Owens. He's a monster in the middle of the DL and losing him was just has impactful.

Next year barring more major injuries the OL should be very good. Don't forget how young they are.