• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Gerald Wallace to be traded

pimp

Nov 07, 2008 5:16 AM EST

Could Gerald Wallace's time in Charlotte be up?

According to a report published by NBA website Pro Basketball News, multiple sources have confirmed that Wallace being shipped out of the Bobcats camp is imminent, though the destination is unknown.

Both Golden State and New York were mentioned - with Al Harrington and Eddy Curry possible pieces of a multiple team deal, with Charlotte also disappointed in pair Raymond Felton and Adam Morrison.

Via Pro Basketball news

• Moderators
I wouldn't hesitate to give up Marvin for Gerald Wallace. I'm shocked that they are looking to trade him. The problem is that they'd have to take Speedy (or we'd have to include Z which no way I'm doing) in order for the salaries to work.

If they are looking to shed salary, they would definitely think about Marvin/Speedy for Wallace, IMO.

• Admin

I would do a Marvin/Speedy/2nd rounder for Wallace

He would be a good fit here with his D and his ability to do some work at the PF. He plays multiple positions. Speedy only has only extra year on his contract after this one and Marvin is another UNC alum.

That franchise is really screwed up. Wallace is one of the few players they have that actually produces. He has given us all kinds of problems.

I agree. GW has added a perimeter game to go with his slashing and defensive game. I've been a Marvin supporter since Day 1 but I've liked GW since his early days in Sactown and I'm drooling thinking about him on our squad. Fat chance.

Not to mention Wallace's history of concussions. As hard and reckless as he plays, he's one fall from never seeing the court again. (which with our history, he'd fall, suffer a concussion, never play again, and break Joe's leg in the process).

I think I'll stick with our current squad. The thought alone has got me cringing.

• Premium Member
Not to mention Wallace's history of concussions. As hard and reckless as he plays, he's one fall from never seeing the court again. (which with our history, he'd fall, suffer a concussion, never play again, and break Joe's leg in the process).

I think I'll stick with our current squad. The thought alone has got me cringing.

I say let the doctors do their job.

If we can trade Marvin/Speedy for Wallace, we'd be foolish not to.

He's a bonafide 20 ppg player who plays tenacious defense and who thrives in a run and gun game.

While I agree we´d be a better team after a Marvin/Speedy for Gerald trade, my one worry would be adding another guy who can´t shoot so well from the outside (even though he has gotten much better at it).

Still, we´d be downright scary athletic, and ridiculous on the defensive end.

Also, I think his contract is very reasonable for what he brings.

All said, I think that trade puts us as the bona fide 3rd or 4th best team in the east, behind Boston, Detroit, and maybe Cleveland.

• Admin
While I agree we´d be a better team after a Marvin/Speedy for Gerald trade, my one worry would be adding another guy who can´t shoot so well from the outside (even though he has gotten much better at it).

Still, we´d be downright scary athletic, and ridiculous on the defensive end.

Also, I think his contract is very reasonable for what he brings.

All said, I think that trade puts us as the bona fide 3rd or 4th best team in the east, behind Boston, Detroit, and maybe Cleveland.

We actually have a lot of shooters this year already.

It would never happen anyway...most teams will not trade within their own division.

• Premium Member

It would never happen anyway...most teams will not trade within their own division.

I think it would be strongly considered. Think about that.. why don't most team trade in their own division? Make a divisional foe stronger. Well, If They're looking to trade Wallace anyway, They get back a UNC grad (gotta help with the fans) who is showing great potential (former #2 pick overall).

• Admin
I think it would be strongly considered. Think about that.. why don't most team trade in their own division? Make a divisional foe stronger. Well, If They're looking to trade Wallace anyway, They get back a UNC grad (gotta help with the fans) who is showing great potential (former #2 pick overall).

...its not that I want to get rid of Marvin but I love Wallace's game. He would be a great addition.

I am surprised Charlotte doesn't support NBA. It didn't support the Hornets either.

• Premium Member
...its not that I want to get rid of Marvin but I love Wallace's game. He would be a great addition.

I am surprised Charlotte doesn't support NBA. It didn't support the Hornets either.

I think they supported the Hornets when it was Lonzo, LJ, and Bogues. The problem is FAcy happens. you can't loose players who the fans follow and expect to have a fanbase.

What needs to happen in Charlotte is that they get some homegrown talent (Marvin or Hansborogh).. OR they get an ultra talented player out of the draft and he endears himself to the city. When Charlotte has a high pick, they have to pick the most explosive player and not the player that fits...

yeah im from Virginia beach, Virginia and tons of people in VA followed the Hornets because of ZO(from Indian river HS) and JR Reid( from Virginia beach). They need to move the Bobcats to the Hampton Roads area.

While I agree we have some shooters off the bench, I do value the shooting Marvin gives us in the starting lineup next to Smoove and Horf (2 guys who cant shoot from the outside). Ive always been a little leery of putting a non-shooter at the 3 next to Smoove and Horf.

But still, I do that trade in an instant. We´d be so scary athletic and fun to watch. I honestly think we could contend with a Bibby-Joe-Gerald-Smoove-Horf lineup.

While I agree we have some shooters off the bench, I do value the shooting Marvin gives us in the starting lineup next to Smoove and Horf (2 guys who cant shoot from the outside). Ive always been a little leery of putting a non-shooter at the 3 next to Smoove and Horf.

But still, I do that trade in an instant. We´d be so scary athletic and fun to watch. I honestly think we could contend with a Bibby-Joe-Gerald-Smoove-Horf lineup.

Offense

Wallace is a good 3pt shooter but his mid-range game is awful. If the Marvin we've seen this year is the Marvin we'll have from now on then we'd be equal in the 3pt department but deficient in mid-range shooting. Wallace is significantly better at driving to the basket under control and finishing. We also have to think about our team shooting, which really depends on which Bibby we have out there. If we have the Bibby that makes defenses pay then we'd have plenty of shooting, otherwise if it's the brick master Bibby then we'd struggle because the other team would sag into the paint even more than they have already this year and force us to try and be a perimeter team.

Defense

On the perimeter they are pretty much equal. Wallace is better at blocking shots. Wallace would give us a little bit more of a fear factor for opponents with his shot blocking and athleticism in the same way that Smoove does.

Intangibles

Wallace is 26 and has a history of concussions. Marvin is 22 and for all the awkward falls he takes has been relatively healthy other than some minor nagging injuries.

Salary

I can't imagine we'd pay Marvin more than 9.5 per but we'll probably be in that neighborhood, minus maybe 1-1.5 million but we would have the comfort of knowing Wallace is locked up for several more years. Assuming that Marvin only gets 7.5 next year we would save about 3.5 million by including Speedy in the deal, which should help us in FA next season.

All in all I think that I would have to do this deal and hope Wallace stays healthy and doesn't hurt our chemistry.