• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvelous Marvin Williams-thoughts?

Swish

OK, now that MW has seriously produced at a high clip, what do you guys see/think of his development this year? Specifically, Diesel and Walter.

I think that this is exactly what we want and need from Marvin. If Marvin can regularly put up 20/10, to go with Josh's 17/10, Al's 12/10 or whatever and Joe and Bibby's scoring, We could truly be looking at the three seed, and depending on how we perform tonight, a realistic expectation of being better than even the Cavs.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see Marvin get the ball a little more in the O. I always post that in the chat room, especially when he is attacking the basket. I think Marv can do 20 and 10. He just needs Woody and Joe to push him. I hoping when Smoove comes back he just doesnt fall back into a "stand around" mode.

Diesel has been pretty quiet this year bashing Marvin so cut the man some slack. I think that his development has put more pressure on Smoove to stay near the basket and improve his post game instead of hanging around the perimeter trying to play a finesse game without the finesse skills. Marvin needs to get more touches as well.

Diesel has been pretty quiet this year bashing Marvin so cut the man some slack.

Really?

It's really a shame when you consider the people of that 2005 draft picked after 2...

Paul

DWilliams.

Bynum

Granger

Lee

Maxielle

Jack

Garcia

Ellis

In one way or another these guys are definitely better than Marv.

Then you have:

Webster

Felton

Villenueva

Diogu

Frye

Kleiza

Warrick

Head

in one way or another, you'd have a hard time convincing me that Marv was better than these guys.

He has been great but let's be real here Marvin putting up 20 and 10 is not happening . Especially when Al and Smoove are back @ 100 %... It would be nice though....

I don't know. It's all about touches. If Smith completely stopped the boneheaded jump shots and Al learned to pass out of the post, Marv's numbers would increase.

I think Marv needs to freaking ask for the ball. He is a team player and he doesnt need to be a star with Smoove, JJ, and Horf. He is a team player but how can we not give him the way he is stroking the three and attacking the basket. Woody has to see that. I think Marv goes for 20 and 10 tonight against the Cavs

I think Marv needs to freaking ask for the ball. He is a team player and he doesnt need to be a star with Smoove, JJ, and Horf. He is a team player but how can we not give him the way he is stroking the three and attacking the basket. Woody has to see that. I think Marv goes for 20 and 10 tonight against the Cavs

Marvin attempted 5 threes last night which would have been unthinkable on November 1. I think as time goes on he will get more looks.

As far as his rebounding goes i think 7 is doable, 8 might be a reach.

• Premium Member

I still don't get threads like this. Marv has played great the last two games, but his play was/is ALWAYS on him. Marvin had to be the one to step up, to improve his game/skills. We are way too focused on others players stepping back rather than Marvin stepping up. Whether it was Harrington, Chillz, or even Smoove, some here were always wanting other players to scale their respective games back to make Marv "look" better. It doesn't work that way. Marvin was the only person responsible for his production and sometimes passive play. Marv always had the skills and athleticism, he just didn't have the mindset. Now he seems to get it and he's playing like the player many thought he could become, and not a moment too soon because we NEED his production right now.

I still don't get threads like this. Marv has played great the last two games, but his play was/is ALWAYS on him. Marvin had to be the one to step up, to improve his game/skills. We are way too focused on others players stepping back rather than Marvin stepping up. Whether it was Harrington, Chillz, or even Smoove, some here were always wanting other players to scale their respective games back to make Marv "look" better. It doesn't work that way. Marvin was the only person responsible for his production and sometimes passive play. Marv always had the skills and athleticism, he just didn't have the mindset. Now he seems to get it and he's playing like the player many thought he could become, and not a moment too soon because we NEED his production right now.

I don't know about y'all, but I can't figure out what this dude is talking about. Read carefully and you may see what I mean.

• Premium Member
I don't know about y'all, but I can't figure out what this dude is talking about. Read carefully and you may see what I mean.

I'm just saying that Marv's production is on Marv and nobody else. I read a few posts in this thread that seem to suggest that if other players defer to Marv, he will be a better player. That's the same excuse people have been making ever since he got drafted.

I'm just saying that Marv's production is on Marv and nobody else. I read a few posts in this thread that seem to suggest that if other players defer to Marv, he will be a better player. That's the same excuse people have been making ever since he got drafted.

You could just as easily say the same thing about Horford.

If a pg comes down and takes a shot before anyone else touches the ball you can't really blame Marvin (or Horford) for not being more aggressive offensively. I think there is some fault on both sides.

If Marvin can regularly put up 20/10, to go with Josh's 17/10, Al's 12/10 or whatever and Joe and Bibby's scoring

Well, when Smoove and Horf are back, you can't expect that. There just aren't enough rebounds to go around. 8 per game though would be nice. I think Marvin can realistically average 18 and 7 this year, but he'll need to stay in attack mode.

What noone can deny (including Diesel and Walter), is that Marvin has been our most efficient offensive player this year. As I mentioned in another thread, he is our leader in FG%, FT% and 3P%. It doesnt take a basketball genius to know that, based on those stats, he should be shooting the ball more. He should take the 2nd most shots, only behind Joe. That will make our entire team better. Marvin is like the bizarro version of Flip or Salim.

Smoove, on the other hand, should assume the role left by Chill. High-energy guy who stays close to the basket for nifty finishes. He can do it, and it would make him a consistent 17/10/3 block type of player.

Joe just needs to keep doing him. It's been a pleasure to watch him this year.

Marvin has impressed me this year. If he stays aggressive and gets the touches when Smith gets back then he'll still have nice numbers but as far as efficiency goes he's looking like he should be a no.2 option. The thing is Marvin still has alot of potential still and you can see it when watching him. This year he's putting it all together and looking like the all-around player he was touted as when coming out of UNC.

Still I'd like to see him throw it down some more in traffic he has the hops just shys away from contact though he's a pretty big dude.

• Premium Member

Did you see the game last night? Have you seen any Hawk games this year? Our offense is 1-2 passes and shoot either from a post up play or isolation play usually involving Joe Johnson and one other player on one side of the court. And when Joe is out, it Murray taking over as chief ball hog. So how does Marvin see the the ball more if no one passes the ball on the side of the court that he is on? what do you envision Marvin doing? Not passing the ball to the guards after a rebound like Smith? The truth is most forwards get set up by the guards in this league! The Hawks just happen to do it less than most teams. Marvin might be the best shooter on the team and it is very bizarre to me for him to have teammates/coaching staff that do not understand this by now. The entire team and coaching staff should make a conscience effort to get the ball to Marvin Williams more when he is in a position to score period!