• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Someone Tell Me Why Smoove Is Still Chucking 3's?

JackB1

The truth is that Josh Smith THINKS he's a good jumpshooter. This bears itself out in any quotes you read from the man pertaining to that tendency. He believes he can hit it, and never bothers to notice the statistical evidence toward the contrary.

I think the problem is that he realizes just how much of a freak athlete he is, so he refuses to be slotted as solely an interior player. Which is fine, because he can be extremely dangerous driving off the dribble when he's in control. But he still considers himself a hybrid forward and thinks he can be the type of guy who can spread the floor from the PF position.

He's in his fifth year, now, so it's time for him to start understanding what his weaknesses are, and work on minimizing those while taking advantage of his strengths.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The time for Woodson to bench Smoove after a 3pt attempt has come and gone. I want to see Smith avoiding 3's as much as anyone and it would be great if Woodson could do that but the time was during the first four years Woodson coached Smith. He never did it then, so why would Smoove respond positively to that now when he is a more established player?

This should have been addressed during those years when the team was so young and devoid of talent that Woodson couldn't have been expected to win.

Ding, ding, ding, ding!! Bob, tell him what he's won...

Smith and Joe got baited into doing what the knicks wanted. the hole damn team did.

oh well, he still wasnt used to conditioning so he was probably tired and didnt feel like driving. still no excuse but what i thought. i was like "damn, smith must be tired"

I thinks that is exactly what happened. They were taking it to the hole in the 1st quarter but seeing the knicks take all kind of playground shots got the us to play their style.

It was his birthday, he made his first attempt, and he was at home against a team that promotes high scoring game, the perfect storm.

JJ didn't help matters taking long jumpshots being 6'8" 240 and not in the lane against the front court of Al harrington and David lee for christ sakes.

If he is wide open he should take the shot. It is not like he dribbles at the top of the key and launches one like Gilbert Arenas, or stops and pops in the middle of a fast break. If he is standing in the perimeter and the movement of the ball leaves him open, he has to take it, otherwise the d can just collapse in the hole. Unlike Al Harrington, I like that Josh has the nerve to take the shot.

If he is wide open he should take the shot. It is not like he dribbles at the top of the key and launches one like Gilbert Arenas, or stops and pops in the middle of a fast break. If he is standing in the perimeter and the movement of the ball leaves him open, he has to take it, otherwise the d can just collapse in the hole. Unlike Al Harrington, I like that Josh has the nerve to take the shot.

If taking 3s is the right thing to do why is it that Boozer, Amare and Brand have only attempted a combined 3 three pointers on the season? After all they are much better shooters than Smith.

If taking 3s is the right thing to do why is it that Boozer, Amare and Brand have only attempted a combined 3 three pointers on the season? After all they are much better shooters than Smith.

Because smith isnt a PF. people only wants him to play smith at PF cause he cant shoot and shot blocking. and he isnt a PF. i dont care what you say. When he posts up he takes to long to get into a move.I HATE when he takes 3. i dont mind 2s but 3s piss me off. Smith plays better when he makes quick moves in the post and doesn't hesitate on jump shots. he is a forward NOT a PF and probably not a SF.

Im not making excuses but i learned to deal with. especially since smoove struggles in the begining of every season.

Edited by hoodstar

Because smith isnt a PF. people only wants him to play smith at PF cause he cant shoot and shot blocking. and he isnt a PF. i dont care what you say. When he posts up he takes to long to get into a move.I HATE when he takes 3. i dont mind 2s but 3s piss me off. Smith plays better when he makes quick moves in the post and doesn't hesitate on jump shots. he is a forward NOT a PF and probably not a SF.

Im not making excuses but i learned to deal with. especially since smoove struggles in the begining of every season.

So he isn't a PF because he takes too long on his post moves? Uh... ok.

The bottom line is that he is far more productive at the 4 than the 3. He is also far more productive posting up than shooting 3s.

The reason he is always open at the 3 pt line is because that is where the opposing team wants him to be.

• Moderators

If I am the opposing coach and that is your stand, here is my game plan:

"Leave Smith open at the 3pt line every time down the court until he hits three in a row. Then wait a few minutes and leave him wide open again. When he shoots 30% from the floor, that is an TS% of 45% which is terrible and we want to see that happen."

Woodson should not be running an offense that has him primarily hanging out outside the 3pt line on offense.

When the D backs off him, it means that he can get a running start to beat his defender and Marvin, Bibby and JJ can all be outside the arc on the perimeter giving him plenty of room to beat his player or dish to a wide open true perimeter shooter.

Edited by AHF

Josh Smith can make the trey, but it's not the in the best interest of the team for obvious reasons: 1) he can make the 3 but doesn't that he should take it (1 out of 5 times) 2) there are many other players on the team can make the 3 which is in the best interest of the team.

Although most of the time Josh only takes wide open three pointers with less than 5 secs on the clock... 5 seconds is a lot of time to drive to the hole and make something happen... or just pass it to someone else to take the three.

Josh Smith can make the trey, but it's not the in the best interest of the team for obvious reasons: 1) he can make the 3 but doesn't that he should take it (1 out of 5 times) 2) there are many other players on the team can make the 3 which is in the best interest of the team.

Although most of the time Josh only takes wide open three pointers with less than 5 secs on the clock... 5 seconds is a lot of time to drive to the hole and make something happen... or just pass it to someone else to take the three.

he shouldn't be standing outside the 3 pt line in the first place. He should be moving without the ball, looking for openings inside. There is no reason for him to be standing outside the 3 pt line in the half court set.

• Premium Member

Some interesting stats about Smith from 82games.com:

http://www.82games.com/0809/08ATL10.HTM

34% of his shots are in the first 10 seconds of the shot clock, with a majority of them being assisted. I think many of those would be on fast-breaks, which would explain the 79% success rate.

Only 9% are in final 3 seconds of the shot clock, but at a 50% clip. That's not bad.

His success rates on 11-15 seconds and 16-20 seconds - 26% and 35%, respectively - are atrocious. He needs to be setting screens during that time...

josh smith taking 3's is not that big of deal, as long he doesn't take 5 every night. i have said before josh should take 162 threes a year, that's 2 a game (if he played every game), it keeps the defense honest. he's not a great shooter but he does make some big ones, so it would be foolish to tell him to stop shooting them. i don't even josh has taken 162 three pointers in one year in his career (I may be wrong, dont feel like checking), so it sounds like complaining just to be complaining to me.

josh smith taking 3's is not that big of deal, as long he doesn't take 5 every night. i have said before josh should take 162 threes a year, that's 2 a game (if he played every game), it keeps the defense honest. he's not a great shooter but he does make some big ones, so it would be foolish to tell him to stop shooting them. i don't even josh has taken 162 three pointers in one year in his career (I may be wrong, dont feel like checking), so it sounds like complaining just to be complaining to me.

How does it keep the defense honest? They will leave him wide open all day behind the line. His defender can sag off and help on other guys. The defense is playing 5 on 4 when Smith is behind the line.

When Smith is standing behind the line or actually taking a 3 the following things aren't going to happen;

-the defense doesn't have to guard him so they can focus more on other guys.

-he isn't hitting the offensive glass.

-he isn't scoring inside.

-he isn't getting to the foul line.

-he isn't collapsing the defense, making it easier for other guys to get open 3s.

All of that is in addition to the fact that he sucks as a 3 pt shooter.