• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mortgage the future?

HawkItus

I see a few deals out there Sund could do that would put us in position

to challenge for a title this year, but we would mortgage our future and be in cap hell for the next 3 years. These are by no means guaranteed title moves, but we'd be close considering who we'd have to beat in the east to get their. Would you mortgage our future for a 1 year shot if you were Sund?

to challenge for a title this year, but we would mortgage our future and be in cap hell for the next 3 years. These are by no means guaranteed title moves, but we'd be close considering who we'd have to beat in the east to get their. Would you mortgage our future for a 1 year shot if you were Sund?

I was thinking about this issue this morning. Upon reflection and looking at the talent on the team, I now think it would be a big mistake to trade this year's 1st round pick. One of the biggest problems with the team is lack of quality depth. Mid-teen and early 20 picks are where you build team depth. The question for Sund is, does trading future team depth for a high-priced, but over the hill vet, make sense. The vet player, Brad Miller for example, may help get the team to the second round, but he's not going to get us into the finals. Thus, you trade for a little success now, but the future doesn't look so bright.

History has shown that you can get very good players in the latter half of the first round, so I am inclined to keep the pick and let this team mature.

It would depend on the deal. Boston did the very thing you are talking about and it worked for them. I think to even consider such a deal we would have to be looking at receiving an elite big man in return and there are only a few of those. If you are telling me we coud get Tim Duncan for Horford (or Smoove) and filler, I'd probably do it. If you are talking about getting a solid but not elite level big, no go for me.

• Moderators
It would depend on the deal. Boston did the very thing you are talking about and it worked for them. I think to even consider such a deal we would have to be looking at receiving an elite big man in return and there are only a few of those. If you are telling me we coud get Tim Duncan for Horford (or Smoove) and filler, I'd probably do it. If you are talking about getting a solid but not elite level big, no go for me.

That is true. However, there are no elite bigs who are realistically available. KG was realistically available last year - Minnesota basically had to deal him.

In contrast, the Spurs have championship aspirations.

• Premium Member
I was thinking about this issue this morning. Upon reflection and looking at the talent on the team, I now think it would be a big mistake to trade this year's 1st round pick. One of the biggest problems with the team is lack of quality depth. Mid-teen and early 20 picks are where you build team depth. The question for Sund is, does trading future team depth for a high-priced, but over the hill vet, make sense. The vet player, Brad Miller for example, may help get the team to the second round, but he's not going to get us into the finals. Thus, you trade for a little success now, but the future doesn't look so bright.

History has shown that you can get very good players in the latter half of the first round, so I am inclined to keep the pick and let this team mature.

There's some serious interest in:

Stephen Curry

Ty Lawson

Jeff Teague

Patrick Patterson

Hasheem Thabeet

(In no particular order)

But I expect all of them to be gone before we pick.

In this draft... with the exception of Patterson and Thabeet, I think you can find something similar to what's available in the 2nd round.

Moreover, after listening to Sund, I don't think he values the 1st rounder that much. Let's face it, his track record with first rounders kinda sucks.

I'd wait for the offseason and re-evaluate.

I would package the first round pick for the right vet IF the guys we want are off the board when our pick comes up. I definately would not trade it for an expensive over the hill vet like Brad Miller but a vet who is 28 or 29 who has that vet savy to be a major contributor from day #1 and is still virtually in their prime.

We have seen what Flip Murray's veteran savy has meant for this team. Without his spark off the bench and vet savy we would probably not be a .500 club.

After watching Woody refuse to play rookies like Law and Solo uneless he is forced to play rookies (Chillz and Smoove's rookie years due to lack of the veteran depth) I believe a vet who is 28-29 is the way to go.

Whether the right vet is available or not is yet to be determined.

For a 1st rounder we should be able to get a vet better then Flip and much better then Mo. Maybe we could package Mo (deal expires for the 2010 spending spree) with the 1st for a major up grade at bench wing or even a upgraded center if we are lucky............it all depends on who is left when our pick comes up.

• Moderators

If we trade our first rounder, I would like it to be part of one of those deals:

(a) trade it for a young and rising star (JJ)

or

(b) trade it for an established vet who will be at an MVP candidate level and then an All-Star level for the next 4 years, minimum (Garnett)

I don't want to see us trade to get Delk/Rodgers or Wilcox or something like that where we know we aren't getting someone who is young enough or good enough to build around.

If we trade our first rounder, I would like it to be part of one of those deals:

(a) trade it for a young and rising star (JJ)

or

(b) trade it for an established vet who will be at an MVP candidate level and then an All-Star level for the next 4 years, minimum (Garnett)

I don't want to see us trade to get Delk/Rodgers or Wilcox or something like that where we know we aren't getting someone who is young enough or good enough to build around.

The Hawks are really going to have to tank in grand fashion to get a pick high enough to get anything of value in return. A late lottery or later pick won't get you a KG - even with one of Smoove, Marvin or Horford thrown into the mix.

The Hawks are really going to have to tank in grand fashion to get a pick high enough to get anything of value in return. A late lottery or later pick won't get you a KG - even with one of Smoove, Marvin or Horford thrown into the mix.

Agree 100% EDS! We have a core that is going to be competitive for a number of years and unless we get a true elite player/difference maker we stay pat.

I really think that even if Bibby goes elsewhere next year; we now have a "core" that other players will like being a part of. 4th in the NBA East beats the hell out of playing for another team that is in or near the cellar....

And man it is nice to be able to say that!

I think that would be an ill advised move . . . . . at least before we got a real coach. An Avery Johnson would make this a new team without such a drastic move.

Go ask Devin Harris or Jason Kidd how good a coach AJ is.

They will both tell you they would rather have Frank any day.

• Moderators
They will both tell you they would rather have Frank any day.

Frank seems very well respected. Given that he doesn't remotely resemble what you would think of as an NBA coach, he has to be good or he wouldn't have made it this long.

• Moderators
Frank is a very good coach. That team is really slim on frontcourt talent yet they remain respectable.

Two all-stars basically in the backcourt. The frontcourt is pretty awful, though.

Edited by AHF