• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Nique hating on Shareef?

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member
no matter what anyone's thoughts are on SAR, it is OBVIOUS that Dominique is a little too me-me on the mike. I don't like him as an announcer honestly, although the rest of the team (Verett, Rathbun, Skipper, Jerome) are fine by me. Dominique is not as humorous as Steve Smith, but more importantly he is not very humble.

It's like he's still trying sell himself as a player. We get it Nique, you were good, there is no reason to keep going at it. He is my favorite player of all time but I wish they would go with someone else because his personality rubs me the wrong way on the mike. He is also a little too homer-istic for the Hawks for my own good. I understand they are supposed to be homers but please lets not venture into the world of the celtics announcers. I'd rather them be partial on calls and players' abilities while at the same time rooting for the Hawks.

The worst was his shot at Doc Rivers. He said: "Boy...If I had a PG like that when I was playing, I would have won multiple championships"

he was talking about Chris Paul. If I'm Doc Rivers and heard that I'm taking it as a knock on my game.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Shareef was a mechanical post scorer that often got his shot blocked and he wasn't that great of a passer out of the double team. On the boards, he was a worse rebounder than his numbers suggest. He never made an impact on the defensive end either.

hotlanta1981,

I've never seen you write anything positive about anybody. Do you enjoy anything about the Hawks?

hotlanta1981,

I've never seen you write anything positive about anybody. Do you enjoy anything about the Hawks?

I think Shareef was probably a good guy. But as a player, are you going to disagree with what I said? Do I enjoy anything about the Hawks? Yeah, Deke was my favorite Hawk player. If the Hawks can manage a few road wins I think a decent playoff run could be a possibly. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

Shareef was a mechanical post scorer that often got his shot blocked and he wasn't that great of a passer out of the double team. On the boards, he was a worse rebounder than his numbers suggest. He never made an impact on the defensive end either.

Oh no. I am on this side? Ugh.

Anyways, my beef with Reef was that he never seemed to hustle. Ever. He'd drive the lane and get blocked or whatever, and then stand there either staring or bitching at the ref while play went on. 5 seconds later, here he comes, jogging down the floor.

I am sure he is a fantastic person and all, but he never was an impact guy on the court. I thought he could be, but he never looked like he had the determination. Kinda the same way I felt about Smith earlier this year. He just looked like he didn't care at times. He could never be the main piece on a team. Good second or third option, but you can never build around him.

hotlanta1981,

Just because you don't like the messenger doesn't mean the message is wrong. He's absolutely right. Anyone who thinks Reef was any good probably never played on a team. Reef was terrible in every sense of the word. He helped usher in the age of the crappy Hawks we know today. We were winners before he got here. hH was a loser of the highest order. Mainly because he didn't even realize just how terrible he was. It was all about his 20-10. Team goals, like winning a game, were incidental to his pursuit of 20-10. He was Charmin Ultra-soft. Dude sucked hard. Not a defensive bone in his body. He was truly one of the worst Hawks.

Shareef would have been a fine #2 guy on a team but did not have the skills or attitude needed to be a #1, IMO. On a solid team, you could have Shareef as a #2 and JT as a #3 or #4 guy but having them #1/2 (I can't credit Big Dog with being higher than a tepid #3) was not a good thing.

Shareef was a good scorer; a decent rebounder; and a modest defender. He never had an impact on the boards or defensive ends of the court and wasn't a dynamic scorer. Babcock and much of the fan base expected too much from him. I didn't doubt his effort or think he was selfish, though, and there is nothing that makes me wish him anything but the best going forward.

AHF, this doesn't happen often but i think I disagree with everything you've just said.

I disagree with the opinion that he could have ever been even a #2 on a winning team. His play destroyed offensive ball movement and the ball in his hands invariably led to a to or a missed brick. The only thing I liked about the guy was he had a decent face up j from around 17 ft. Guys like him can never be on a "solid" team. It's a virtual impossibility. How can you be solid with such a huge whole? There is a reason he was never on a good team. Basketball is by far the easiest sport for one player to raise the tides of all boats, so to speak. He ner did. Because he was a loser.

A good scorer makes baskets that mean something. Lots of people can score when they are given the majority of the chances.

I also disagree that you can be a modest defender and decent rebounder without making "an impact" as you say. If he were decent, it would have impacted us.

I do doubt his effort, both mentally and physically. Never saw the guy dive for anything.

I also think he was so ignorant of winning basketball, that he was selfish, he just didn't know it. His style of play helped nothing but his own averages. Which, is really bad in a team sport. As a Hawks fan, I don't really care what kind of person he is, he was a terrible basketball player. That trumps being a good guy, imo.

• Moderators
AHF, this doesn't happen often but i think I disagree with everything you've just said.

I disagree with the opinion that he could have ever been even a #2 on a winning team. His play destroyed offensive ball movement and the ball in his hands invariably led to a to or a missed brick. The only thing I liked about the guy was he had a decent face up j from around 17 ft. Guys like him can never be on a "solid" team. It's a virtual impossibility. How can you be solid with such a huge whole? There is a reason he was never on a good team. Basketball is by far the easiest sport for one player to raise the tides of all boats, so to speak. He ner did. Because he was a loser.

See that is where I fundamentally disagree. I think as a #1 option he was a loser but that he could have been a useful player with the profile of a secondary scorer on a good team. For example, if Bynum stayed healthy and you replaced Gasol with Shareef in his prime at PF, I think Shareef would be fine as a second option and that the Lakers would win a ton of games.

A good scorer makes baskets that mean something. Lots of people can score when they are given the majority of the chances.

With Shareef as the #1 option, his scoring will never be meaningful because they team will never win enough to make the scoring meaningful. He is a poor #1 option.

I also disagree that you can be a modest defender and decent rebounder without making "an impact" as you say. If he were decent, it would have impacted us.

I don't think he was an impact rebounder despite the fact that he grabbed a lot of rebounds. The guy wasn't rebounding like Josh Smith in January - February. He was grabbing some boards. But I don't think he was ever physical or effective enough on the boards to be an impact guy. Defensively, he was soft but not a total waste.

I do doubt his effort, both mentally and physically. Never saw the guy dive for anything.

I'll agree to disagree with you on that one. Watching him, I did not get the impression he was mailing it in. Just that he wasn't up to the task of being the #1 option.

I also think he was so ignorant of winning basketball, that he was selfish, he just didn't know it. His style of play helped nothing but his own averages. Which, is really bad in a team sport. As a Hawks fan, I don't really care what kind of person he is, he was a terrible basketball player. That trumps being a good guy, imo.

I saw Reef as being like a better version of Zach Randolph in this regard. He wasn't as bad as Zach and did what was asked of him, but he was never someone who was going to be a point forward or really set up plays for others. This is a big part of the reason he should not have been a #1 option.

I am getting tired of 'Nique with each passing game. Probably the least insightful, educational, and grammatically correct analyst you can find. Aside from Stinger's voice, I'd much rather have him calling the games, as Rathburn would probably agree. All things considered, I am indifferent towards Shareef. I wouldn't discuss him negatively nor positively.

Edited by benhillboy

In last nights game Bibby made a hard play-of foul under the basket stopping a sure 2 points from a much taller player and fouling before the shot. Well Nique, in all his glory, had this to say..."Bibby shouldn't have fouled in that situation. He should have conceded the points. No need to pick up your third fould there." What!?!? Bibby shouldn't pick up his third fould in already the third quarter?!? We should "concede" points instead of letting them take it out on the side?!?! WTF?!?! Put down the mic Nique. This is exactly why I don't like my favorite players having anything to do with the public. Luckily Smitty is pretty good at it.

Edited by Dsinner