• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woody's offensive indictment...

AtLaS

Here's the worst part. Announcers who say that Woody has done a great job in gettign this team to the playoffs and gaining the tough attitude from the Boston series....

they act as if we have a bunch of middleschoolers on this team...as if because we are the atlanta hawks that us making the playoffs is insane and the coach must have been great to get them that far.....i'm sicking of people making generalizations and opinions based on the name on the front of our jeresey....

you know the first couple years we didnt make the playoffs, i heard noone say they were surprised we didnt make the playoffs..because other than this past decade, we were a perennial playoff team....

we have good young players on this team and we could have a bright future...we have flaws but every team does...every announcers praises woodson but then says our offense sucks...WHY DO YOU THINK OUR OFFENSE SUCKS?!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Mike Woodson is a terrible coach but so is Mike Brown, and the dude won a Coach of the year award, Doc Rivers was also consistently bad until he got a great team to coach... We are stuck with Woody but maybe we can be successful in spite of him.

At least that's what I tell myself.

Edited by Atlantaholic

• Moderators
Doc Rivers was also consistently bad until he got a great team to coach...

He did a fantastic job for part of his time in Orlando as well.

Check out the top 5 scorers on this team that he got to 41-41 listed by total points scored that season:

Darrell Armstrong

John Ameechi

Chucky Atkins

Pat Garrity

Monty Williams

How did he ever have them winning MORE games than the Hawks won last year?

Mike Woodson is a terrible coach but so is Mike Brown, and the dude won a Coach of the year award, Doc Rivers was also consistently bad until he got a great team to coach... We are stuck with Woody but maybe we can be successful in spite of him.

At least that's what I tell myself.

It would be hard to be a bad coach if you have Lebron.

• Premium Member
He did a fantastic job for part of his time in Orlando as well.

Check out the top 5 scorers on this team that he got to 41-41 listed by total points scored that season:

Darrell Armstrong

John Ameechi

Chucky Atkins

Pat Garrity

Monty Williams

How did he ever have them winning MORE games than the Hawks won last year?

Didn't remember that... I always thought of him as a rather poor coach. Having said that, I would trade Doc for Woody in less than a heartbeat... and always would have.

• Moderators
Didn't remember that... I always thought of him as a rather poor coach. Having said that, I would trade Doc for Woody in less than a heartbeat... and always would have.

In my mind, Doc is not a great x's and o's guy but is a great manager and great at getting guys to buy into the team structure.

Here is the description of that season from the Celtics bio:

Rivers, born on October 13, 1961, spent four plus seasons as the Head Coach of the Orlando Magic. In his first year at the helm in Orlando he led a team predicted by most to finish near or at the bottom of the league that included four starters who were not drafted. Rivers guided the team to a 41-41 record, and for his efforts, Rivers was named the 1999-2000 NBA Coach-of-the-Year.

When we were hitting, we were right in it. Then we went cold. I'm thinking an offensive scheme that takes it to that little orange thing called THE BUCKET would be so beneficial to our Hawks. Oh to have a coordinator that would realize that. . . . . .

Welp, Avery Johnson just picked apart Woodson's DEFENSIVE scheme. We never try anything different, we just switch everything and the Cavs are exploiting it, as expected.

Not to mention all we've done is run ISO's the entire game so far.

Did y'all see the play out of a TIMEOUT??? Joe dribbles for about 10 seconds and then takes a step-back fadeaway jumper. That's the definition of incompetence.

More gold...

I don't see any offensive plan or adjustments or real cohesion from the Hawks. They have to be the worst pick-play team in the playoffs by a wide margin--they really look like they have no idea what the picker is going to do, where he's going on the play.

Doc Rivers is all right. He got the Celtics to play defense, he ran a variation of the dribble drive offense (try to imagine Woodson ever doing something this different, even though Acie is the ideal kind of PG to run it), and they played as a team. Hats off to Doc.