• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sekou Smith's lastest blog

laved11

No need for snap decisions

11:48 pm May 13, 2009, by Sekou Smith

The only thing that rages more than Josh Smith's emotions is his over-the-top talent . The Hawks would be wise to find ways to help channel that emotion in a positive direction.

HAWKSVILLE - Raise your hand if you thought we’d all end up here.

Go ahead, raise it up high. Let the rest of us see you. I need to make sure we count the hands.

Good. Now that the roll call is over, it’s time to get down the serious business that will be retooling this Hawks roster for next season. In case you missed it, nearly half the roster is going to be diving into the free agent waters this summer.

That means there’s a chance that the Hawks team you saw on the floor in the Eastern Conference semifinals against Cleveland will be no more as of July 1, the date the free agent negotiating season kicks off. That also means that the ball switches from Mike Woodson, Joe Johnson, Mike Bibby and Josh Smith’s court to that of Hawks general manager Rick Sund.

And judging by his 30-plus year resume in the league, Sund is well aware that now is not the time for snap decisions. Those are the things, as my guy Jeff Schultz alluded to his in his column from Game 4 of the Cleveland series, that can implode a franchise. Sund needs to do what his predecessor did not after last year’s Game 7 loss to Boston, and that’s take a week or so to decompress from this experience before coming to any conclusions about this team.

(Injuries to both Al Horford and Marvin Williams complicate any postseason studies into their performances, so basically all you can go off of is their healthy regular season work.)

We, on the other hand, don’t have to wait for anything to start making our assessments of what we saw, what we liked and disliked and what we think needs to be done to improve for the future (a wise . We can dive right in, as I know you have been doing for days. So without further ado, here is one thing that can’t wait:

Since he’s the one player Hawks fans ride worse than any other, it’s only fitting that we address Josh Smith first. No fewer than a dozen people came up to me in the minutes after the game to insist that he was the reason the Hawks lost yet another game. He wasn’t locked in on defense, I was told, and he was the one giving up all the big shots, and he let Anderson Varejao work him on the boards the entire series and that’s ultimately what cost the Hawks.

I’ve written it before and I’ll write it again, once again Smith serves as the easy scapegoat for the Hawks’ larger problems (their paper-thin depth, their flawed offensive scheme the wordsmith Mark Bradley nailed in his recent column and their inability to get ball pressure on the ball at the outset of offensive possessions, just to name a few).

In addition to outscoring all the Hawks other starters (26 to 25) in Game 4, Smith led the Hawks in scoring (17.1), rebounds (7.5), blocks (1.5) and steals (1.1, he tied with Flip Murray) in 11 postseason games. He only shot 42 percent from the floor and putrid 13 percent (2-for-15) from beyond the 3-point line. But he raised his dismal free throw shooting percentage from the regular season up 72 percent during the playoffs.

The point is, for every deficiency he has (and five years into his career, Smith, like scores of other pros in the same situation, still has plenty) Smith has a matching skill that can’t be overlooked. His mission this summer, forget about the 3-point line and hone the post skills that few teams can deal with. Take a page out of the book of New Orleans Hornets forward David West and come back with a money 16-footer that makes teams pay for leaving you open on the wing.

I place as much of the responsibility for that happening on Smith as I do his employers. There has to be some sort of marriage of philosophies this summer to make sure that he comes back next season a more polished player and one that fulfills his role as the Hawks’ truly most dynamic player.

We’re going to toss Bibby’s name around quite a bit in the coming weeks, so let me start by insisting that you consider what the Hawks looked like before he showed up and then compare that to what they looked like in his 130 games in uniform. It was a different world, folks. So keep that in mind this summer as the Hawks start weighing their point guard possibilities - and they are endless, what with the free agent market, the draft and whatever sign-and-trade possibilities might be out there.

Bibby’s status as an unrestricted free agent means he’ll have suitors other than the Hawks capable of presenting him with the opportunity to play at least three or four more years (Bibby’s been around for 11 years but just made 31 today). “The Hawks can get someone that’s a better defender and better distributor at that position, but I don’t know that they’re going to get a better shot maker or a better fit for their

Hey Hawks, what are you going to do with Mike Bibby?

team,” a scout friend told me via email earlier today when I inquired about his assessment of Bibby’s situation with the Hawks. “There’s not a team in the league that doesn’t need a guy who’s going to knock down the big shots he does. And the funny thing is, for all the talk about his big salary this year ($15 million in the final year of his deal), you know you’re going to get him for half that or even less on this next deal. He’ll actually be a bargain on his next deal, compared to what he was.”

Bibby is and remains the biggest question mark of the Hawks’ free agents. If you keep him, his successor has to be located immediately and then groomed (what the Hawks did the past two years with Acie Law IV was anything but grooming him) to eventually take over the starting job. If you decide against keeping Bibby, you almost guarantee that you’ll have to locate your new starter via some sort of trade. Because there is little to no chance of finding a point guard ready to be pressed into immediate starting service in the June draft, not where the Hawks are picking (deep in the first round at either 19 or 20).

The Hawks could pull a fast one and snag their point guard of the future and Bibby’s immediate replacement all at once. But as an Eastern Conference executive explained to me Tuesday morning, they’ll have to find someone else’s “garbage” (it wasn’t garbage in the sense you might think, he meant a guy that someone deemed expendable) and make him their own - sort of like what Cleveland did with Delonte West, who has blossomed into one of the league’s top young attack guards (a point guard in size but whatever he wants to be because of his tenacity and fearlessness). Guys that fit that mold to me, and I think there are plenty, including former Georgia Tech star Jarrett Jack, Lakers backup Jordan Farmar (he’s under contract for the next two years and under siege by Shannon Brown), Milwaukee’s Ramon Sessions (unrestricted free agent and ready for prime time) and Portland’s Sergio Rodriguez (still under contract for another year but clearly expendable with Steve Blake and Jerryd Bayless on the roster). There are

Might former Georgia Tech star Jarrett Jack be in the Hawks' future plans at point guard? We'll find out this summer.

also veterans like Philly’s Andre Miller (unrestricted), Chicago’s Kirk Hinrich (hefty salary for the next three years but absolutely expendable with Derrick Rose at the helm and Ben Gordon an unrestricted free agent), Charlotte’s Raymond Felton (restricted) and Utah’s Ronnie Price (unrestricted).

Again, the Hawks’ options are limitless, especially when you consider that basically half the players on their own roster are free agents of one form or another. But make no mistake, figuring out what to do at point guard remains the Hawks’ highest priority.

And there are several reasons why - the first being their utter refusal to draft the right point guard year after year during the previous regime. The most important, however, is that point guard play in the NBA has become the equivalent of quarterback play in the NFL. Either you have a veteran hand capable of orchestrating almost any situation, a guy that can make everything run smoothly (Kurt Warner anyone) or you have the young phenom (the Falcons’ Matt Ryan comes to mind) that simply will not be denied. If you get caught between those two extremes, you’re gambling with your team’s future.

If you don’t believe quality point guard play can make the absolute difference between mediocre and championship worthy, you should spend a few minutes reading one of the best stories I’ve read about that very subject (courtesy of Tom Friend of ESPN’s Outside The Lines). Seriously, if you don’t do anything else, read this story from top to bottom to see how the right guy at the most important position on the floor (or field) can make all the difference in the world for a team … sort of like Bibby did for the Hawks the last year and a half.

What really jumps out at me are three points that Sekou made. He mentioned the Hawks' lack of depth, Smith talked about the horrific offense where there are five versions of one-on-one and the lack of development from Josh Smith and Acie Law who has not been groomed to play even when Bibby and Flip are free agents.

All of that completely speaks to the Hawks' coaching or lack there of. Marvin Williams is a fine player, but is completely injury-prone and a coach has to prepare others to step in when you know he will break down during the season. (Not one year healthy). We watched D-Wade and LeBron get easy buckets off picks and running offensive sets, but Woodson sets Joe Johnson at the top of the key to play one-on-one.

I'm sick of hearing from coaches and front office that everything is fine and they are where they wanted to be. The fact is they blew up this team 10 years ago because we couldn't get out of the second round. We all watched this team go hot and cold and completely quit at times and the last time I checked, inconsistency is not the step before title contention. Woodson has to go first or else any other move you make is moot.

Holla!

"I’ve written it before and I’ll write it again, once again Smith serves as the easy scapegoat for the Hawks’ larger problems (their paper-thin depth, their flawed offensive scheme the wordsmith Mark Bradley nailed in his recent column and their inability to get ball pressure on the ball at the outset of offensive possessions, just to name a few)."

Good point here. Sund will be responsible for the first one this offseason but the other 2 are because of Woody and sadly I don't think it will improve with him as coach. We really need to find someone else!

I also like the reference to the Billups article at the end and highly recommend the read myself. I think the article doesn't show so much how important it is to have a point guard, but how important it is to have a leader on the team.

In addition to outscoring all the Hawks other starters (26 to 25) in Game 4, Smith led the Hawks in scoring (17.1), rebounds (7.5), blocks (1.5) and steals (1.1, he tied with Flip Murray) in 11 postseason games. He only shot 42 percent from the floor and putrid 13 percent (2-for-15) from beyond the 3-point line. But he raised his dismal free throw shooting percentage from the regular season up 72 percent during the playoffs.

Why don't we check the percentages of the other players on our team in the playoffs? Smith is absolutely NOT the problem of this team. Most of the time a Smith open jumper is the best option we have on offense. It's either that or JJ/Bibby/Flip take a contested jumper off the dribble, Horford/Zaza post up, or Marvin try to draw a foul. No option is a good one. We simply have no offense.

I have to admit that I don't know much about Sessions. When we played the Bucks he flat sucked. I do know that Milwaukee went wild after Mo was traded and Redd went down - all because of Ramon. He only shot 17% from three last year! ouch.

I wonder if Acie was given the reigns to a team like the Bucks the same way Ramon was how well he would do....

I like what he said:

Take a page out of the book of New Orleans Hornets forward David West and come back with a money 16-footer that makes teams pay for leaving you open on the wing.

But if you consider the flaws of each of our players that get so much attention, Smoove's shot selection and lack of inside play, JJ's iso, Al's lack of offensive game, Acie's lack of pt.

Everyone of these could be changed with a new coach. We aren't getting the most out of what we have and it concerns me that we are talking about changing players when we could change the coach and 'fix' some of these issues.

Why don't we check the percentages of the other players on our team in the playoffs? Smith is absolutely NOT the problem of this team. Most of the time a Smith open jumper is the best option we have on offense. It's either that or JJ/Bibby/Flip take a contested jumper off the dribble, Horford/Zaza post up, or Marvin try to draw a foul. No option is a good one. We simply have no offense.

It's a problem because he's our PF. PFs and Cs are supposed to shoot much higher percentages, because their shots are supposed to come closer to the basket. That's why offensively, Zaza is a problem. You can't have your center shooting in the low 40s, no matter how many offensive putbacks he gets via offensive rebounds.

When Smith was great, he was scoring because his shots were coming close to the basket. If he didn't score, he'd get fouled.

When Smith was bad, it was because he was settling for those outside jumpers in which you say was the "best option we have on offense."

Unless the shot clock is running down, he should ALWAYS look to take the ball to the hole for a closer shot.

Excuses cannot keep being made for this guy's outside shooting. He is one of THE WORST outside shooters in the league . . period.

It was amazing to be at Game 3, and literally hear the crowd moan and groan everytime Smoove took an outside jumper. EVERYBODY knows that he shouldn't be shooting from the outside.

Everybody.

Even the little kids at Philips know it.

Sekou is exactly right. If Smoove just started to hit 40% of his 16 foot jumpers, and completely abandon the 3-point shot ( like Marvin did after his first year ), he'd become a much more efficient player. Even if he gets the ball way away from the basket, he should look to get closer for a better shot.

Edited by northcyde

He's not going to abandon it, it's not that easy, he feels he can make that shot no matter what anyone else says. I think he could make the shot but needs to change his fundamentals completely and that takes time and confidence in his fundamentals. In fact, I look to what Brandon Jennings is doing in Europe as an example. Josh needs to be in a mature envrionment, in the NBA, the only one I can think of is San Antonio.

He's not going to abandon it, it's not that easy, he feels he can make that shot no matter what anyone else says. I think he could make the shot but needs to change his fundamentals completely and that takes time and confidence in his fundamentals. In fact, I look to what Brandon Jennings is doing in Europe as an example. Josh needs to be in a mature envrionment, in the NBA, the only one I can think of is San Antonio.

You're right. He's not going to abandon it, because I think he desperately wants to prove to people that he can make outside shots on a consistent basis. As far as changing his fundamentals, his shot is simply that Sam Perkins-like set shot. I don't ever think I've seen him take someone off the dribble, and pull up for a jumper. He has to be stationary and completely set, to take a jumper.

I'd much rather him take a closer in jumper, so that he could possibly get to the hole and get his own offensive rebound, or develop at least ONE go-to post move.

LOL . . actually, I'd rather him take people off the dribble, and go hard to the hole every single time, to either draw a foul, or dunk on somebody's head. He went hard like that on a few occasions in the Miami series, and it shocked the hell out of me. He should do it more often.

You're right. He's not going to abandon it, because I think he desperately wants to prove to people that he can make outside shots on a consistent basis. As far as changing his fundamentals, his shot is simply that Sam Perkins-like set shot. I don't ever think I've seen him take someone off the dribble, and pull up for a jumper. He has to be stationary and completely set, to take a jumper.

I'd much rather him take a closer in jumper, so that he could possibly get to the hole and get his own offensive rebound, or develop at least ONE go-to post move.

LOL . . actually, I'd rather him take people off the dribble, and go hard to the hole every single time, to either draw a foul, or dunk on somebody's head. He went hard like that on a few occasions in the Miami series, and it shocked the hell out of me. He should do it more often.

LOL... the last one isn't possible except on NBA 2k9. His first step is much too slow for that. Becuase of his small hands, he has to cockk the ball back to dunk it. No one in the NBA will let him slash in front of them to do that. Miami was playing stationary at times in that series. You could see they did whatever coach said instead of react.

LOL... the last one isn't possible except on NBA 2k9. His first step is much too slow for that. Becuase of his small hands, he has to cockk the ball back to dunk it. No one in the NBA will let him slash in front of them to do that. Miami was playing stationary at times in that series. You could see they did whatever coach said instead of react.

Have you seriously never seen Smith take someone off the dribble in the half-court or is that a joke?

Have you seriously never seen Smith take someone off the dribble in the half-court or is that a joke?

I watched Smith for the last 5 seasons. His first step is very slow, it ballhandling has improved but his first step is very slow. That's why it's tough for him to slash to the basket at a constant rate. If that's what you mean by joke. I don't really understand your rant, if there is something for me to understand.

I think Josh Smith should work out out of the triple threat more offen. It will be an adjustment but properly done, it might give him an extra step when driving. That's what JJ uses to create more space.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

I watched Smith for the last 5 seasons. His first step is very slow, it ballhandling has improved but his first step is very slow. That's why it's tough for him to slash to the basket at a constant rate. If that's what you mean by joke. I don't really understand your rant, if there is something for me to understand.

I think Josh Smith should work out out of the triple threat more offen. It will be an adjustment but properly done, it might give him an extra step when driving. That's what JJ uses to create more space.

Not a rant, a question -- hence the question mark; and you didn't answer it.

Not a rant, a question -- hence the question mark; and you didn't answer it.

Yes, I basically explained that he why couldn't do it consistency on a regular basis. Yes, I have seen him drive by defenders. More successfully this past season then any other season in his career.

Smith actually does take people off the dribble quite often. The reason he's inconsistent with it is because of the way the defense sags off. They give him 5 feet of room because he can't shoot so it's much tougher to beat them off the dribble. His first step is not that slow.

It's a problem because he's our PF. PFs and Cs are supposed to shoot much higher percentages, because their shots are supposed to come closer to the basket. That's why offensively, Zaza is a problem. You can't have your center shooting in the low 40s, no matter how many offensive putbacks he gets via offensive rebounds.

Smith shot almost 50% this year. He's shooting pretty well overall. He could definitely be higher, though. Noone shot well for us in the playoffs other than Bibby from three, everyone else's percentages sucked. I can pretty easily say he was our best player for the entire playoffs.

Excuses cannot keep being made for this guy's outside shooting.

And excuses cannot keep being made for the coach that doesn't tell him to stop. Him taking wide open jumpers is OBVIOUSLY part of the offense since it happens so often.

It was amazing to be at Game 3, and literally hear the crowd moan and groan everytime Smoove took an outside jumper. EVERYBODY knows that he shouldn't be shooting from the outside.

Everybody.

So why won't Woodson tell him to stop?

• Premium Member
Smith actually does take people off the dribble quite often. The reason he's inconsistent with it is because of the way the defense sags off. They give him 5 feet of room because he can't shoot so it's much tougher to beat them off the dribble. His first step is not that slow.

I agree with this.

It's also a significant part of the reason the lane is always jammed packed when JJ drives.