• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hmmm... does Andre Miller become the UFA target instead of Bibby now?

sturt

I cant see us getting him cause of his age but maybe so. But then again why do we want him so bad.....Woody wouldnt know how to use him cause he's a true pg like bibby so why get him or any other true pg if we are still going to be running that woody's iso offensive scheme?

• Premium Member
He is the consumate "traditional" and veteran kind of point guard that many seem to believe we need. And would he be cheaper than Bibby?

Thoughts?

Miller's agent was holding the 76ers hostage at 10 million+. YOu noticed that Philly got a PG in the draft to go along side Louis Williams. The market is going to do a lot of dictating to Andre Miller. Nobody has forgotten that he is 33-34 years old. He might be able to pull a Bobby Jackson and play for 2 more years in a system where he's grooming some young PG (Like ours).

The Key is that we're not overpaying anybody at the PG spot. I would like Miller or Kidd but If I'm Sund, I have a limit at 7 per for these guys.

Under new set of circumstances (Crawford, Teague, maybe re-signed Flip) our back-court is stacked with people who can assault the hoop from all-over... so scoring is no longer a back-court issue!

Having said that, I definitely realize that veteran leadership, ball-handling and passing become our priority! That's where Dre comes into the picture! I also think he's much better fit with Hawks right now, than Bibby is!

I think he's a bit older than Bibby, and he's not a shooter, so I do believe that his price will be lesser than the price of Bibby... and I would realy like to see Dre as a Hawk... running this team and leading (by example and vocaly)! His veteran leadership would be great for our young team!

:beer: Cheers to that!

• Premium Member

Yeah... for all the reasons that T21 just elaborated, I'm thinking Miller should probably be the target now instead of Bibby. His age, as Dies just intimated, actually works in our favor if we're committed to developing Teague as our PG-o-da-future. One would have to expect that he would accept at least one less year on his contract than Bibs, and even at his age, someone correct me if I'm wrong, he's definitely the better defender of the two.

Yeah... for all the reasons that T21 just elaborated, I'm thinking Miller should probably be the target now instead of Bibby. His age, as Dies just intimated, actually works in our favor if we're committed to developing Teague as our PG-o-da-future. One would have to expect that he would accept at least one less year on his contract than Bibs, and even at his age, someone correct me if I'm wrong, he's definitely the better defender of the two.

I would prefer to keep Bibby. Since he's arrived he's been a leader for this team. He's developed a chemistry with our young studs, and been that one constant veteran the last year and a half. Were already bringing in two new faces in Crawford and Teague to throw in the mix to gel, let's not add another. Bibby may not want to stick around because of his new back court mates, but it's willing to at the right price, it's a no brainer to me.

It seems that most of Sund's elements have had one thing in common, 3pt shooting. Flip, Mo, Teague, Crawford are all (to one degree or another) shooters. Also, he told Marvin he wouldn't play if he couldn't shoot the 3. So whether he should or not, I don't think Sund will target Miller.

It seems that most of Sund's elements have had one thing in common, 3pt shooting. Flip, Mo, Teague, Crawford are all (to one degree or another) shooters. Also, he told Marvin he wouldn't play if he couldn't shoot the 3. So whether he should or not, I don't think Sund will target Miller.

Well, think about it? You've said it yourself!

Somebody has to actually run our offense! That's where Dre comes in! I wouldn't mind keeping Bibby, but I believe Dre will be much cheaper, plus he's a true leader!

Dre is another quiet guy like Joe. He may be a leader but he is not going to tear into or get loud with guys on the court or locker room. Bibby has just as good leadership skills and is a good contrast to Joe with his vocal style. Miller doesn't fit for us because the two things he's known for that separated him from Bibby, his defense and penetration, dramatically tailed off towards the end of last season. He's definetly showing his age and outside of posting smaller guards doesn't bring any skills to fall back on.

I think what Andre lacks in shooting, he more than makes up for with his true pg skills. Bibby can shoot but he is not a great point guard. Give me a guy who can really run a team at the point anyday over a guy who is a good shooting ballhandler.

I don't consider Miller a great point guard either. IMO, both have their strengths and weaknesses. Both bring different things to the table. Why not stick with the guy that's been here to work the other two guards, new to the team, into the mix? Adding three new guards to this team will take a learning curve with the system and the other players on the team.

I do think that Miller, overall, is a better player...but chemistry and knowing your team is so important.

I don't consider Miller a great point guard either. IMO, both have their strengths and weaknesses. Both bring different things to the table. Why not stick with the guy that's been here to work the other two guards, new to the team, into the mix? Adding three new guards to this team will take a learning curve with the system and the other players on the team.

I do think that Miller, overall, is a better player...but chemistry and knowing your team is so important.

Good points about the chemistry. I just don't agree that Miller is not a good/great point guard. Great may be too strong but this guy has consistently put up high assist #'s wherever he has gone. I know it's oversimplifiying it but more often than not, a guy who averages 8 assists or more most years is a pretty darn good point guard. With a shooter like Crawford, Joe and even Mo when he is open, I don't think we'd miss Bibby's shooting that much.

Well, think about it? You've said it yourself!

Somebody has to actually run our offense! That's where Dre comes in! I wouldn't mind keeping Bibby, but I believe Dre will be much cheaper, plus he's a true leader!

It should be obvious by now that as long as Mike Woodson is the head coach in Atlanta, the offense will be run through Joe Johnson. The primary responsibility of a point guard in this style is to get the ball over half court, into the hands of Joe Johnson, and to position himself on the perimeter ready to catch and shoot the ball if it comes back to him. The ability to shoot and score is the number one characteristic Mike Woodson looks for in a point guard.

I think what Andre lacks in shooting, he more than makes up for with his true pg skills. Bibby can shoot but he is not a great point guard. Give me a guy who can really run a team at the point anyday over a guy who is a good shooting ballhandler.

You and I may prefer to have the true point guard, but it is obvious that Mike Woodson prefers the combo guard as a lead guard. A guy like Andre Miller would essentially make the Hawks offense a four man system because he's not much without the ball in his hands. I don't see Mike diminishing Joe's role any in the coming years, and as long as Joe is around, the offense will be run through him.

It should be obvious by now that as long as Mike Woodson is the head coach in Atlanta, the offense will be run through Joe Johnson. The primary responsibility of a point guard in this style is to get the ball over half court, into the hands of Joe Johnson, and to position himself on the perimeter ready to catch and shoot the ball if it comes back to him. The ability to shoot and score is the number one characteristic Mike Woodson looks for in a point guard.

You and I may prefer to have the true point guard, but it is obvious that Mike Woodson prefers the combo guard as a lead guard. A guy like Andre Miller would essentially make the Hawks offense a four man system because he's not much without the ball in his hands. I don't see Mike diminishing Joe's role any in the coming years, and as long as Joe is around, the offense will be run through him.

As long as the offense goes through JJ the Hawks will lose in the playoffs. The front court needs to take more of a role in scoring plus rebounds,block shots. I don't care what the reg season stats were in the playoffs Cleveland showed that the Hawks lack a front court that can rebound,block shots and score. I know we had injuries but even with Marvin and Horford instead of losing by 20+ it may have been 10 points each game, big deal. We really need Miller which hopefuly helps the spacing of the players. Watching the Hawks vs Cleveland spacing of the Hawks players on offense was terrible. I already know what we get with Bibby, a guard who plays poor defense, looks to shoot first and is up and down on his shot. We need a point guard to get all players involved in scoring.I would rather have that than Bibby shooting bricks and sometimes getting on a hot streak. Give Bibby's shots to Marvin, Horford,Smith and JJ. JJ isn't the player a Lebron or Kobe does for their team. If JJ is off in his game the whole team is sunk. Lebron and Kobe can drive to the basket if they miss their outside shot.

. I don't care what the reg season stats were in the playoffs Cleveland showed that the Hawks lack a front court that can rebound,block shots and score. I know we had injuries but even with Marvin and Horford instead of losing by 20+ it may have been 10 points each game, big deal.

The thing is scout5...we may be able to advance just by treading water. The danger I see is the teams chasing us. All the top teams (Boston/CLE/ORL) are chasing older guys who are injury prone. Our young guys are improving and heal faster. :idea: