• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sekou on Bibby

Frenzy

Well if we dont resign Bibby there is a bright side. If I go to the draft with my son again next year we wont have to wait as long for the Hawks pick. We will all get to see Nique in Secaucus with his rabbits foot and who knows we may get lucky. We will have plenty of $$$ to spend next year in FA after Joe bolts.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Bibby is a OK player but to suggest that he's a must-have is just crazy. If you sign him then you're giving Woody a green light to ruin Teague.

Why the Hawks aren't willing to take a step back in order to take 3 steps froward baffles me. With Bibby you were BARLEY the 4th best team anyway. Yes signing him makes the Hawks better in the short term but is it worth Woody screwing up another young player's psyche?

Enough of all the spoon feeding stuff. Say goodbye to the Bibby stopgap and take the Matt Ryan (Falcons on the mind) approach with Teague and let the young buck learn it on the court.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Anyone remember what this team was like before we got Bibby?

Obviously not. Someone mentioned that we are ignoring the impact Mike Bibby has had on this team. Uh, no we aren't. Bibby's impact on this team can easily be seen in this team's record before Mike Bibby and its record with Mike Bibby.

The last time the Hawks took a step back in an attempt to take 3 steps forward in the future, it took them 10 years to get back to the playoffs.

• Premium Member
Obviously not. Someone mentioned that we are ignoring the impact Mike Bibby has had on this team. Uh, no we aren't. Bibby's impact on this team can easily be seen in this team's record before Mike Bibby and its record with Mike Bibby.

The last time the Hawks took a step back in an attempt to take 3 steps forward in the future, it took them 10 years to get back to the playoffs.

My concern has more to do with Woody than Bibby.

• Premium Member

I believe having a PG of Bibby's caliber is critical. He is a terrific passer, an excellent long-range shooter, and he plays within himself. Then, there are the intangibles--the respect his teammates have for him and his authority on the court, which seem to make a synergizing difference beyond any individual stats in the boxscore.

I do not believe it is critical to have Bibby over Kidd or Miller or perhaps others.

But it is particularly expedient because of the CBA.

So, again, as long as we don't overpay for him, okay. A part of me would still like to sign Royal Ivey, though, just to have that PG on the roster that actually has defense on his resume... something that is a total void otherwise.

Man, is Sund is decidedly different from Knight or what?

Nice hear there was some real communication on Day #1.

Never heard this out of BK. BK may have been doing it may never let the media in.

Sund knows when and what to say to the media without showing his poker hand.

• Premium Member
Nice hear there was some real communication on Day #1.

Never heard this out of BK. BK may have been doing it may never let the media in.

Sund knows when and what to say to the media without showing his poker hand.

Sund is much better with the media. BK was a bit of a basketball snob. Bk always came with that well I played the game attitude and it really seemed to irritate the local media.

Christ Almighty I hope this is true.

To many of you - of course Bibby is not a long-term solution. But the guy runs the offense well (which Woodson does not). This team is honestly lost without him on the floor.

Exhibit 1782745387 was the Clippers game at home last year when Bibby was injured.

yeah that game had nothing to do throwing out a cold Acie who hadn't even been getting backup minutes and a Clippers frontcourt that was hitting every shot under the sun, huh? how about the other game Bibby was out and we beat Denver and it looked like we didn't need him at all. Woodsons vet guard dominated offense doesn't help us at all. That's why when Joe was out those 2 games we won both and guys like Marvin had big games.

• Premium Member
Did we get better because of Bibby or in spite of?

The results were so markedly different between one half of the season and the other, I'm not sure how you make that argument effectively.

I believe having a PG of Bibby's caliber is critical. He is a terrific passer, an excellent long-range shooter, and he plays within himself. Then, there are the intangibles--the respect his teammates have for him and his authority on the court, which seem to make a synergizing difference beyond any individual stats in the boxscore.

I do not believe it is critical to have Bibby over Kidd or Miller or perhaps others.

But it is particularly expedient because of the CBA.

So, again, as long as we don't overpay for him, okay. A part of me would still like to sign Royal Ivey, though, just to have that PG on the roster that actually has defense on his resume... something that is a total void otherwise.

throwing the occasional lob to one of the highest flyers in the league doesn't make u a great passer.

• Premium Member
throwing the occasional lob to one of the highest flyers in the league doesn't make u a great passer.

I'd agree with the statement.

Which is why I called him a terrific passer. I've seen more than that. It's just that the highlights will always show the lobs to Smoove, and not so much of the other. And further, being a terrific passer isn't just a matter of how slick the pass is, but should include making the right pass to the right player at the right time even if it isn't no-look.

I'm not a Bibby advocate, but I appreciate him for what he is. If not for the CBA, though, I honestly think we could do better with Miller, mainly b/c Miller has proved capable of playing adequate D most nights.

The results were so markedly different between one half of the season and the other, I'm not sure how you make that argument effectively.

We were 8 games under before and after Bibby in 08. He averaged about 10pts and 3 asts...in the playoffs that year. I believe the natural development of our young guys, led to this years improvement...more than Bibby.

And he was on the bench in the 4th quarter mostly, during this years playoffs...with Flip running the show. If he's that valuable, make him an assistant coach. At least his view of the game, wouldn't change.

• Premium Member
We were 8 games under before and after Bibby in 08. He averaged about 10pts and 3 asts...in the playoffs that year. I believe the natural development of our young guys, led to this years improvement...more than Bibby.

And he was on the bench in the 4th quarter mostly, during this years playoffs...with Flip running the show. If he's that valuable, make him an assistant coach. At least his view of the game, wouldn't change.

I believe you were responding originally to the comment "Anyone remember what it was like before Bibby?" I was only pointing out that, for the 07-08 season, the difference was marked.

I do not argue that our other guys have developed and that that's made a big difference. I also don't argue that if he were that vital, he'd be playing more in the 4th quarter and have made a bigger difference in more playoff games. But, otoh, he remains the most expedient option right now as far as any of us can tell w/o having a hidden mic tapping Sund's phone.

I believe you were responding originally to the comment "Anyone remember what it was like before Bibby?" I was only pointing out that, for the 07-08 season, the difference was marked.

I do not argue that our other guys have developed and that that's made a big difference. I also don't argue that if he were that vital, he'd be playing more in the 4th quarter and have made a bigger difference in more playoff games. But, otoh, he remains the most expedient option right now as far as any of us can tell w/o having a hidden mic tapping Sund's phone.

I love Bibby. Let me get that out of the way, first. Then again, simply saying "we got better because of Bibby" is kind of a false dichotomy, IMO. We got better because we got a point guard. It may be that had we gotten an even better PG, we would have improved even more!

That said, Bibby at a reasonable contract is a great move for the Hawks. Consistency, the gelatin of an NBA team, is rare and powerful.

With Bibby you were BARLEY the 4th best team anyway.

Mmmmm, barley.

Edited by drzachary

• Premium Member

And this notion about Bibby being a good locker room presence is a Joke. Bibby openly said things to Coach Woodson that would have gotten Smoove a 5-game suspension. You really want your young players seeing that behavior?

I'm sure Woody deserved a to be cussed but to do it and be caught on tape doing it is a huge no-no especially by a supposedly team leader.

• Premium Member
I love Bibby.

That said, Bibby at a reasonable contract is a great move for the Hawks. Consistency, the gelatin of an NBA team, is rare and powerfuil.

Mmmmm, barley.

Mmmmmmm powerfuil

Edited by NineOhTheRino

I love Bibby. Let me get that out of the way, first. Then again, simply saying "we got better because of Bibby" is kind of a false dichotomy, IMO. We got better because we got a point guard. It may be that had we gotten an even better PG, we would have improved even more!

That said, Bibby at a reasonable contract is a great move for the Hawks. Consistency, the gelatin of an NBA team, is rare and powerful.

Mmmmm, barley.

I think this post gets the "Captain Obvious" award. Bibby is decent, not great, so obviously a better point guard would have led to even more improvement.