What Kind of Minutes Will Teague Get Now?

BusBoyIsBack

I think Teague has a few things going for him that Acie didnt:

1) He can shoot (most important);

2) He's the change-of-pace guard that the Hawks need in a backup (think Monta Ellis style; Acie was more of a Cassell/Billups but without the shot);

3) We can take our time with him if need be (Bibby and Crawford can both run the point);

4) He has an established and respected Vet in front of him (Acie never had that; I think Bibby will help Teague quite a bit (just not defensively lol)).

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Teague has a few things going for him that Acie didnt:

1) He can shoot (most important); Acie could too coming out

2) He's the change-of-pace guard that the Hawks need in a backup (think Monta Ellis style; Acie was more of a Cassell/Billups but without the shot); actually Acie was that also. He was usually the fastest player on the court when he played

3) We can take our time with him if need be (Bibby and Crawford can both run the point); lol isn't that what Woody was doing with Acie?

4) He has an established and respected Vet in front of him (Acie never had that; I think Bibby will help Teague quite a bit (just not defensively lol)). um Bibby was here the last 2 years while Acie was here

alot of these is just reasons for Woody not to play Teague

Edited by Cwell

alot of these is just reasons for Woody not to play Teague

Some of you guys are really stretching here. Acie was a very good prospect coming out of college. Do you know how many very good prospects coming out of college crap out in the pros? There are too many to count.

When Acie got to the league, he struggled with his jump shot and injuries. Once the injuries piled up, he struggle with his confidence. Mike tried to get him on the floor, but it seemed like everytime he did, Acie would get hurt again. I guess it is Mike's fault that Acie couldn't stay healthy.

Some of you guys are really stretching here. Acie was a very good prospect coming out of college. Do you know how many very good prospects coming out of college crap out in the pros? There are too many to count.

When Acie got to the league, he struggled with his jump shot and injuries. Once the injuries piled up, he struggle with his confidence. Mike tried to get him on the floor, but it seemed like everytime he did, Acie would get hurt again. I guess it is Mike's fault that Acie couldn't stay healthy.

No but what is Mike's fault is that, since the injury, every time Acie had a decent game he got absolutley no playing time the following game. Even a few DNP's after very good games. How the hell is he suppose to get some confidence playing with a coach like that?

Sure Acie blew some chances, but for the most part he was never rewarded after good performances.

What i'm saying is that u can't say Teague has that advantage when hasn't played NBA yet to show that he'll stay a confident and great scoring player. and Acie's injuries were bad but that have been wayy over blown. He was healthy most of time and he still got DNP-CD's

1. Acie was never a "shooter." He is a scorer, but he struggles to finish at the rim in the NBA (which really takes away from his effectiveness).

2. Acie was never a change-of-pace guy. And while I admit Acie could get to the rim quite well, he is nowhere near as quick as Teague (just wait).

3 and 4. Actually, when we got Acie, our other PGs were Speedy, AJ and Lue. So no, we did not have the luxury of letting him develop behind an established vet. When we finally got Bibby, it almost seemed like Acie was a lost cause on this team (mainly because he couldnt shoot worth a d*mn).

I liked Acie, he just didnt fit here (again, we needed a shooter, which he is NOT).

1. Acie was never a "shooter." He is a scorer, but he struggles to finish at the rim in the NBA (which really takes away from his effectiveness).

2. Acie was never a change-of-pace guy. And while I admit Acie could get to the rim quite well, he is nowhere near as quick as Teague (just wait).

3 and 4. Actually, when we got Acie, our other PGs were Speedy, AJ and Lue. So no, we did not have the luxury of letting him develop behind an established vet. When we finally got Bibby, it almost seemed like Acie was a lost cause on this team (mainly because he couldnt shoot worth a d*mn).

I liked Acie, he just didnt fit here (again, we needed a shooter, which he is NOT).

I never said he was a "shooter" I said he could shoot and that's what made him effective in college. Teague may time quicker or be quicker but doesn't mean that Acie couldn't be a change of pace guy. When compared to Bibby and Flip he WAS a change of pace lol. I agree with everything else though

Edited by Cwell

I never said he was a "shooter" I said he could shoot and that's what made him effective in college. Teague may time quicker or be quicker but doesn't mean that Acie couldn't be a change of pace guy. When compared to Bibby and Flip he WAS a change of pace lol. I agree with everything else though

So what do you call someone that can shoot?

So what do you call someone that can shoot?

are u serious? When I think of a shooter I think of PURE shooters like Mike Bibby, Ray Allen, Reggie Miller types. Someone that can shoot is just a capable jump shooter. Acie was a capable shooter coming out and was a true threat from out there. U don't hit the big shots he did without being able to shoot.

are u serious? When I think of a shooter I think of PURE shooters like Mike Bibby, Ray Allen, Reggie Miller types. Someone that can shoot is just a capable jump shooter. Acie was a capable shooter coming out and was a true threat from out there. U don't hit the big shots he did without being able to shoot.

You're not answering the question. What do you call someone who can shoot?

I never said he was a "shooter" I said he could shoot

• Moderators
You're not answering the question. What do you call someone who can shoot?

I think he actually did answer this:

Someone that can shoot is just a capable jump shooter.

"A capable jump shooter" is the answer.

1. I am missing the cause for all of this bashing of Acie Law's game. The idea of he couldn't shoot shocks me. When did we find out he couldn't shoot... the first or second year? I tell you, when you average four shots a game, your average can get pretty low.

2. Acie is not a change-of-pace guy? What the heaven kind of pace are we changing from in Woody's "offense?" There is no pace to his offense and I guess Acie doesn't fit in with our pot-luck style of standing around.

3. Lost cause?!!! I refer back to No. 1... in the first or second year he was here?

I'm not saying losing Law and gaining Teague was the right or wrong move, but how the heaven do we know. These two years is not what I call giving anyone a chance. Watching Rajon Rondo and Rodney Stuckey go through turnovers and playing time before becoming productive starters is what I call giving someone a chance. But saying Teague is going to be so much better is asinine, because we simply don't know.

Holla!

Edited by laved11

• Moderators
That's a new one for me. I've always heard that someone who can shoot is called a shooter.

I understand the distinction he is making. You don't use the term "shooter" to describe someone like Al Horford or Delonte West (who are both very capable shooters) in the same way that someone like Reggie Miller is called a "Shooter," which is meant to imply superior range and perimeter shooting ability.

Jeez I forgot how sensitive people can get if they perceive you to be "hating" on their guy.

Again, I always liked Acie (and I think he will do a lot better on a team that isnt so desperate for outside shooting the way we are).

But come on, did you see Acie try to shoot the last couple of seasons?? Dude struggled.

Jeez I forgot how sensitive people can get if they perceive you to be "hating" on their guy.

Again, I always liked Acie (and I think he will do a lot better on a team that isnt so desperate for outside shooting the way we are).

But come on, did you see Acie try to shoot the last couple of seasons?? Dude struggled.

and did u see how many shots he took? exactly. He rarely took shots and this year he showed some improvement from his rookie year. He was knocking down corner 3's when he had the chance. Woody had him standing in the corner so much the only shot he could get was the corner 3.

Repition in game situations make u better. I pretty sure he drained his practice shots but practice means nothing when u don't get opportunities to show it. I'm pretty sure Roddy White stayed with jug machines in practice but when he only got thrown at 2-3 times a game he had the case of the dropsies. When he finally got the chance to catch alot of balls he became more confident and his stats went up and his drops went down. He didn't forget how to catch and Acie didn't forget how to shoot. He was shooting over 50 percent from 3 in the pre-season when he got the chance to keep putting shots up.

Woodson is practically under a mandate to play JT. Notice all the information coming out of the Hawks F/O before the draft. All we heard about was how much more involved Woodson was in player evaluation and selection. This means Woodson now has to put Teague on the court. Sund isn't going to tolerate Woody not playing his first pick as Hawks GM.

Sund is going to hold Woodson accountable for his actions (finally) and I hope the ASG backs Sund up with that decision.

So my guess is that JT gets between 10 and 16 a night depending upon matchups and how quickly he's developing.

I agree that Mo is the odd-man out in the rotation- which is fine by me.

I hope you're right. I'm certainly looking forward to watching this kid play. However, I think the whole thing about Woodson being under a mandate to play JT is far from the truth. I heard Sund on an interview where they asked him a question regarding JT's playing time for next season, and he made it clear that his playtime is going to depend on JT and Mike Woodson. Sund also made it a point to say that it is not his job to run the team which is why he has Mike Woodson as head coach.

I know we will bring this guy along slowly but I hope he doesn't get Mario West minutes now that we have Bibby and Crawford in front of him

As of right now I would say it's really hard to say how much playing time JT will get next season. We all know how Woodson feels about playing rookies, and now that is sure Bibby will be back and Crawford playing the 6th man things are not looking well for the young rookie. However, ultimately it's going to be up to JT and his abilities to determine how much play time he will get.... Playing under Woodson, he better come out swinging

I would not judge Teague by what happend to Acie. For one I think it's unfair to characterize Woodson as a guy who does not play rookies. He has played most of the rookies that have been drafted since he got here a fair amount: Josh Smith, Childress, Marvin, Salim, Horford, and even Shellhead got PT. Is it possible/fathomable that maybe Acie didn't earn the minutes? I hope Acie goes on and has a nice career, but there is still a possibility that he just does not have a pro game. It will be interesting to follow him and watch his progress.

To me it's kind of hilarious to watch the responses from Teague's interviews. It sounds the same every year. This guy really sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders kind of talk. I'm going to reserve judgement on Teague, and have no problem with making him earn his PT. One thing I disagree with is the notion that Woodson will refuse to play him regardless of how good he is.

I would not judge Teague by what happend to Acie. For one I think it's unfair to characterize Woodson as a guy who does not play rookies. He has played most of the rookies that have been drafted since he got here a fair amount: Josh Smith, Childress, Marvin, Salim, Horford, and even Shellhead got PT. Is it possible/fathomable that maybe Acie didn't earn the minutes? I hope Acie goes on and has a nice career, but there is still a possibility that he just does not have a pro game. It will be interesting to follow him and watch his progress.

To me it's kind of hilarious to watch the responses from Teague's interviews. It sounds the same every year. This guy really sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders kind of talk. I'm going to reserve judgement on Teague, and have no problem with making him earn his PT. One thing I disagree with is the notion that Woodson will refuse to play him regardless of how good he is.

Me too. If the guy comes out like gangbusters and proves his worth, Woodson better play him.