• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks moves vs. Everybody else's.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Let's be honest. Have we really made a big splash or is Sund doing what he can to keep things "regular".

1. We got the same coach.
  2. We got the same cast of players with Teague replacing Acie and Crawford replacing Flip. I only say it like this because of playing time, not ability.
  3. We got the same mess up offense.
  4. We got the same mediocre defense.
  5. We haven't signed Zaza.
  6. We haven't signed any big of note.
  7. We're slobbering over a European C who plays like a European C.

WHILE...

1. Boston got Rasheed Wallace.
  2. Orlando got Vince Carter.
  3. Cleveland got Shaq.

I'm not saying that those moves are great moves, but those teams actually addressed needs.

1. Orlando got some experience. Plus Nelson is coming back.
  2. Cleveland got a dominant Big.
  3. Boston got some Depth.

Then there are some other concerning things:

Washington got Mike Miller and Foye.

Miami might get a big name.

Toronto is also looking for a few big names.

The question:

Is holding serve really keeping up or are we just trying to be a playoff team?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

I think Orlando took a step back with the losses of Gotart, Hedo and Lee. Hedo was their glue and Lee and Gotart provided depth.

I don't know if Shaq is a good thing for the Cavs or not. He will certainly slow them down and clog the lane. This takes a way a little bit of Bron's penetration.

Sheed is a nice addition for Boston but he is not the dominant player he use to be. The big thing for them is Garnett coming back healthy.

Hedo is a nice addition for TO but they also are about to lose Marion.

Washington made some nice offensive additions but they are going to be the worst defensive team in the league next year.

Miami still has not done anything and I have not heard of anyone coming there.

We are just finding our legs. We are finding our chemistry. We kept our team together and made some slight adjustments with Crawford and Teague. We are still in the improving stages and I think we will be even better next year. I don't think we need another star, we need another solid big for depth.

Sund is making moves to reach the playoffs; I don't think Atlanta will ever be interested in winning the championship. Until we get new owners, we will always be a average broke azz team. We signed three point guards who all do the samething. For the life of me It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out " this team would flourish with a faciliatator not a jumpshot jacker". I'm convinced that this entire organization is garbage. I Luv my Hawks, but ownership and management sucks. Don't even get me started on Woodrow.

• Premium Member

is that you Hotlanta19 eighty something?

All valid points though.

Let's be honest. Have we really made a big splash or is Sund doing what he can to keep things "regular".

2. We got the same cast of players with Teague replacing Acie and Crawford replacing Flip. I only say it like this because of playing time, not ability.

WHILE...

3. Cleveland got Shaq.

I'm not saying that those moves are great moves, but those teams actually addressed needs.

The question:

I'll look at the glass half full...

1. Woody - Bringing him back was a forgone conclusion. He's cheap. He's earned it. Yes, I believe that. Sund would be crucified for letting him go after what the Hawks have done the last two years. That being said, Woody is under the most pressure this coming year than he has had as a HC.

2. We may have the same cast as far as minutes, but to not factor in ability is wrong. Bringing in a 20 pt. a game scorer can help the team in many ways. Especially for our All-star. Crawford should ease JJ's minutes, as well as his scoring load. Jamal is an upgrade over Flip.

3. See #1

4. See #1

5. It's still early in the FA process. It appears Zaza isn't getting a whole lot of love from other teams, hopefully increasing our chances. Give it some time, and I bet Zaza will be back.

6. There's not a lot of "big" names out there. The ones, Shaq - Sheed - VC are veterans that are chasing rings. They're joining teams that were/are legit Championship contenders without them. We're not at that level to land those types of players, yet. But we're showing so far we still have a committment to build on the last two years.

7. David Andersen is a BIG. A huge need for this team. We have his rights, it's possible he may join the team. Of course were hopeful he will join the squad. It doesn't matter that he's European, he would fill a void that needs to be filled, plus adding depth.

Like stated earlier, Boston, Orlando, Cleveland are the cream of the crop in the East without adding the pieces they did. Washington was going to be a team to be reckoned with if healthy anyway, Mike Miller and Randy Foye don't instantly vault them into a top 4 team in the East. Miami and Toronto...."what if's" and "mights". Until they do, no need to lose sleep.

I'm happier holding serve, if that's the case, than taking a step back. We don't resign Bibby or bring Crawford over, I'd say we would be taking a step back. Not the case. Rick Sund should be commended for the job he has done thusfar dating back to last year. I'm very pleased with the moves he has made thusfar. Compared to our last GM, he's been the brightest spot in this francise in a long time.

• Premium Member
7. David Andersen is a BIG. A huge need for this team. We have his rights, it's possible he may join the team. Of course were hopeful he will join the squad. It doesn't matter that he's European, he would fill a void that needs to be filled, plus adding depth.

Be careful when referring to DA as a "BIG". Yes he's big but I don't know if he plays big. In fact everything I've read said he's pretty much a finesse player and I think the Hawks are at maximum overload with finesse players. If you keep Z and sign him, good but if Z walks I don't know if a 6'11" center that plays like he's 5'11" helps.

Be careful when referring to DA as a "BIG". Yes he's big but I don't know if he plays big. In fact everything I've read said he's pretty much a finest player and I think the Hawks are at maximum overload with finest players. If you keep Z and sign him, good but if Z walks I don't know if a 6'11" center that plays like he's 5'11" helps.

Incase you haven't noticed but perimeter bigs are all the rage now. Orlando has Lewis, Boston has KG and when he went down ran Scalabrine and Big Baby out there and now acquired 'Sheed, Cleveland has big Z, The Lakers have Odom and Pau, Chicago has Miller, Utah Okur, Portland has Aldridge, NOLA has West and Dallas has Nowitzki. Take note that these are all playoff teams and they all employ bigs that play like they're "5'11". Josh thinks he's a perimeter big but he really should be inside. Andersen would give us that weapon that every other team seems to be utilizing with success.

I agree having him in place of Zaza is not ideal but having him in addition to Zaza gives our offense more wrinkles than we've ever had before and spreads the floor, actually allowing for our guards to penetrate.

• Premium Member
Incase you haven't noticed but perimeter bigs are all the rage now. Orlando has Lewis, Boston has KG and when he went down ran Scalabrine and Big Baby out there and now acquired 'Sheed, Cleveland has big Z, The Lakers have Odom and Pau, Chicago has Miller, Utah Okur, Portland has Aldridge, NOLA has West and Dallas has Nowitzki. Take note that these are all playoff teams and they all employ bigs that play like they're "5'11". Josh thinks he's a perimeter big but he really should be inside. Andersen would give us that weapon that every other team seems to be utilizing with success.

I agree having him in place of Zaza is not ideal but having him in addition to Zaza gives our offense more wrinkles than we've ever had before and spreads the floor, actually allowing for our guards to penetrate.

Honestly I don't have a clues what DA can do. I call him a finesse player only because that's what someone told me. Maybe he has the ability to be both a bruiser and a scorer. Hopefully well get the opportunity to decide.

• Premium Member
2. We may have the same cast as far as minutes, but to not factor in ability is wrong. Bringing in a 20 pt. a game scorer can help the team in many ways. Especially for our All-star. Crawford should ease JJ's minutes, as well as his scoring load. Jamal is an upgrade over Flip.

No, it's not the same. IF you have a 20 point per game scorer who is a momentum shooter, you don't want him sitting on the bench. He will turn into a streak shooter quickly. Then everybody will be wondering... what happened to Crawford? Why isn't he producing? The answer would be because you took a tiger and put him in a cage and fed him daily... A tiger has to hunt!

• Premium Member
Be careful when referring to DA as a "BIG". Yes he's big but I don't know if he plays big. In fact everything I've read said he's pretty much a finesse player and I think the Hawks are at maximum overload with finesse players. If you keep Z and sign him, good but if Z walks I don't know if a 6'11" center that plays like he's 5'11" helps.

Exactly.

We're slobbering over a guy who's 6'11" but we have failed to look at his skillset. He's not a big, like we need. We need a big who will go in rebound, defend, set picks, and score. I would rather have Shelden than DA (if Zaza is gone) to be honest. At least with Shelden, I know he will get in there and bang. We don't need another guy standing on the perimeter.

No, it's not the same. IF you have a 20 point per game scorer who is a momentum shooter, you don't want him sitting on the bench. He will turn into a streak shooter quickly. Then everybody will be wondering... what happened to Crawford? Why isn't he producing? The answer would be because you took a tiger and put him in a cage and fed him daily... A tiger has to hunt!

You're right! I was agreeing with your inital post! I think Crawford needs more time than Flip received this past year.

• Premium Member

Uhm... Orlando has Howard.

Boston has KG. KG is more than a fineese Center. He can do the dirty work too. You don't get 12 reb per game by being a fineese guy.

The Lakers have Bynum.

Cleveland has Anderson.

Nola has Chandler.

Dallas has Damp.

You see everywhere you turn, there's a real big to counter the phony big. YOu're saying let's get a Phony big and be happy. We need a real big.

Sund is making moves to reach the playoffs; I don't think Atlanta will ever be interested in winning the championship. Until we get new owners, we will always be a average broke azz team. We signed three point guards who all do the samething. For the life of me It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out " this team would flourish with a faciliatator not a jumpshot jacker". I'm convinced that this entire organization is garbage. I Luv my Hawks, but ownership and management sucks. Don't even get me started on Woodrow.

Haha at least you aren't the crappy knicks no one will have to worry about them! I think Orlando is dumb for getting Vince Carter who's on the decline and giving up Lee who has so much upside. Hedo made the offense flow, but we'll see about orlando. They may have taken a half step back. I think Cleveland will be scary even w/o shaq again this season. Even with Garnett at 90% the Celtics are gonna be tough. Rondo is better, can penetrate at will and then you say out loud Pierce, Allen, Wallace, and Garnett. That's deep! I honestly feel since the Bulls did what they did in the playoffs just like the hawks a yr before, will be the hawks headache and on their heels. Rose is a beast. I agree with Diesel and Lacsho, they're the only two hawks fans not in denial

WHILE...

3. Cleveland got Shaq.

The question:

if we resign zaza and marvin we've gotten better....but the improvement isn't as much a step forward as the eastern conference big three.

For this offseason we are holding court. Maybe we've taken a small step forward. We pretty much need to wait for our moment and grab the right star. I think we could have had Carmelo or Gasol a couple years ago by trade, but we just have to get the right guy when the opportunity comes. We've got a lot of tradeable assets. At least we don't have cap killing contracts like Steve Francis, Grant Hill, etc.

For now we at least have a competitive team that has an opportunity to win every night and we should enjoy that.

Very good point. Lot of folks get caught up because players don't fit a mold, but the old molds have change. There are so many hybrids now and guys who play outside are very effective and bring a new dimension.

Atlanta has a couple of things going got it that Boston and Cleveland do not - a frontline that is 23 years of age. 3/5ths of the starting line up has a lot of room to improve, where Boston and Cleveland have more potential to lose their legs.

By that same token, 2/5ths of the starting celtics line up has a lot of room to improve. Rondo is 23 and Perkins is 24. Same for the Cavs, who in all likelihood will have 4 starters 26 and younger. People talk about shaq being old and all that, but they got him for basically nothing.

The reason places like Houston can attract top MLE guys like Ariza, even though they might have just lost Yao forever, and Atlanta can't, is very simple: ownership.

That is really the key if the hawks ever want to really compete.

I think Rick Sund is doing the best he can this offseason. It's clear to us that all the big name Free Agents out there aren't interested in playing for us. I think the best way to deal with that situation is to keep on winning and Rick Sund is making sure we do it by keeping things "regular". If we keep on showing that we can match up with the likes of Boston, Cleveland, San Antonio, Los Angeles Lakers, etc., then big name Free Agents will slowly immigrate to us.