• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks - Marvin close to a deal!

T21

According to Hoopsworld...

Here's the article:

"Marvin Williams Gets His Deal

As soon as Mike Bibby was inked the Atlanta Hawks turned to free agent priority number two, small forward Marvin Williams. Sources close to the situation have told HOOPSWORLD that Williams is close to multi-year deal with the club that drafted him second overall.

Williams' camp would like to see something in the $40 million range, and the Hawks' initial offer was reportedly around $37.5, meaning the two sides were never really all that far off and something should be done soon.

Flip Murray, another Atlanta free agent, is not expected to return to Atlanta, however. The Hawks just had too many free agents to try and retain, and the most recent rumblings are that Murray is close to a multi-year deal of his own with a different team".

• Like 2

Awesome News !

Its great for the league to see that the player that come to Atlanta, like it here, and the team treats them all so fairly with quick negotiations and reasonable offers........................while at the same time not being stupid.

(I think Sund 'soff season last year if paying off this year. Agents know they can't trick him into over spending. He will wait out unreasonable demands with patience (as he did Smoove last year). He will offer the players, he wants to keep, their fair American market value. (What goes on in foreign markets where they are no cap rules is beyond his control).

Edited by coachx

If they announce a signing before the 15th of next week they'll lose alot of their Childress leverage.

I am glad Marvin is signing a reasonable deal though, which may look like a steal a year or two from now.

I agree with your take on Marvin! I realy like the kid and I think he'll turn out just fine (he's just 23)! He's already very solid SF, who improves year-in-year-out!

I don't think Hawks seriously contemplated bringin' Chillz back (Marvin was always priority number1)... plus, the only thing left to be done is acquiring another big to strenghten our front-court rotation!

P.S. Even few years ago I wrote that Hawks were goin' to have to choose between 2 of 3 (Smith, Williams, Chilldress)... and most of us certainly knew what was eventualy goin' to happen. That's just the way things work...

• Like 1

• Premium Member

That is excellent news! I think it actually helps our leverage with Childress since we can say that we don't need him. If we get Marvin for 40 or less I'd be thrilled as long as it's for 5 years.

It would be a steal!

• Premium Member

Williams' camp would like to see something in the $40 million range, and the Hawks' initial offer was reportedly around $37.5, meaning the two sides were never really all that far off and something should be done soon.

That's actually kinda funny to me. Great news that Marvin doesn't overvalue himself.

Flip Murray, another Atlanta free agent, is not expected to return to Atlanta, however. The Hawks just had too many free agents to try and retain, and the most recent rumblings are that Murray is close to a multi-year deal of his own with a different team".

Good for Flip. I hope it's a WC team.

• Premium Member
Chatter on a done deal for Marvin is not right. Sides are still apart. No deal done yet.

From Sekou's twitter.

I have to be honest. At this point, I don't really trust Sekou more than anyone else. After his comment that Zaza was getting a "significant" raise, I think his so-called sources are agents.

That's actually kinda funny to me. Great news that Marvin doesn't overvalue himself.

Good for Flip. I hope it's a WC team.

I think the lack of immeadiate demand for Marvin may have something to do with how he views his situation out on the RFA market. I guess teams weren't willing to overpay to get him. And the two teams that I thought would get him, both made major moves involving other players ( Detroit and Toronto ).

As for Flip . . watch Flip end up in Miami.

From Sekou's twitter.

I have to be honest. At this point, I don't really trust Sekou more than anyone else. After his comment that Zaza was getting a "significant" raise, I think his so-called sources are agents.

A 19% raise is significant to me.

• Premium Member

Sorry to repeat myself, but similar to what mrh said, I really was/am hoping that Marvin has more expectations of himself than to accept $8 mil/per for 5 years... otoh, if the deal is for 4 years, I hate to see Sund give him $10 mil at this stage. So, I'm just not very happy with either scenario, which is why I'd advocated a 2 year deal earlier.

I trust Sekou with these topics on the Hawks players. He is usually right on the money. He makes espn look silly. Flip may be headed home to Philly.

Edited by NJHAWK