• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Yahoo.com: Marvin Williams resigns with Atlanta

MrNique

5 years 40 million? I wonder if Rick Sund came on here and voted in the "Is Marvin Williams worth 8 million" poll. I guess it doesn't matter since we know his answer :)

If those are the actual numbers then Sund did a great job and I hope that this deal starts low and increases each year that way we have a little extra breathing room under the luxury tax this year although I suspect that it will be a flat 8 million per year deal.

I guess that 2.5mill was trivial after all. Wasn't there a thread about betting that Wally Z would get a deal before Marvin?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Smoove is worth $58M but Marvin is not worth $40M because Smoove scored 1.7 more ppg, grabbed 1 more rbg, got 1 more bpg and 1 more apg? Yeah, right! :questions:

LOL...That was good Trace!

Marvin is worth 40...Smoove is a PF...1 more rebound is barely enough and 1 more block should be expected. The other two stats are worth 18 mill more I guess in the eye of the beholder...

We have our core for another season. Lets get that needed big as everyone here knows...our 3rd big will eventually become our 2nd option big due to a injury or injuries sometime this coming season...

Edited by Buzzard

The Marvin hate on HS has reached the level of buffoonery

Right?

He's 23 and he's gotten better every year. If he wouldn't have been injured for the last 1/3 of the season, there would be less complaining about him.

I like the deal. Seems reasonable. Although now everything he does wrong on the court will have a tread started. Ugh.

If Teague becomes a good NBA PG, we have significantly upgraded over last year. The only thing I worry about is will Crawford have the same killer attitude that Flip had? Guess time will tell!

I like the deal. Seems reasonable. Although now everything he does wrong on the court will have a tread started. Ugh.

If Teague becomes a good NBA PG, we have significantly upgraded over last year. The only thing I worry about is will Crawford have the same killer attitude that Flip had? Guess time will tell!

I think he will have a more extreme killer attitude than Flip, maybe even to a fault. And by 'killer attitiude', I mean, "a frequent ball hog who will try to score no matter what" (kinda like Flip).

I wonder how does his money look by the years... does it starts out low and goes up each year.... or is it just 8 mil each year. Anyways. PROPS TO ASG for not over spending.

The future is bright for the Hawks.

I know some of you want them to get a Joe Smith but they are doing one thing very well right now and that is learning how to spend their money. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

This will keep them balance and in the payoff run each year!

Edited by Brotha2ThaNite

• Premium Member

Guys, is it not great that players actually want to stay in Atlanta? This is a huge chance IMO.

Next step: getting veterans to sign here. (Ahem, Joe Smith we NEED you).

Edited by mrhonline

Ziller over at NBA Fanhouse has the glass half full attitude that I like with Marvin:

Hawks Keep Marvin Williams

The Hawks played hardball this summer with restricted free agent Marvin Williams, just as the Hawks do with most restricted free agents. Last year, Atlanta GM Rick Sund allowed Josh Smith to hang in the RFA win, only bringing the electric forward back when Memphis got Smith to sign a reasonable offer sheet.

It didn't come to that this season -- Marvin apparently talked to no other team seriously -- but it still worked out for Atlanta. Marc Spears of Yahoo! reports Williams will stay in the ATL for $40 million over the next five seasons.

As Kevin Pelton of Basketball Prospectus has noted, Sund has always tried to use restricted free agency to his advantage -- he played hardball with Rashard Lewis, Reggie Evans and Vladimir Radmanovic during his Seattle tenure. Because restricted free agency heavily favors teams over players, Sund has had great success in this area.

Williams as an unrestricted free agent could have received closer to $50 million, even in this climate. He's a stellar defender at the small forward spot, agile and looooong. But during his first three seasons, Williams's offense lagged and his instincts weren't quite developed. He worked hard last summer to develop a jumper ... and it worked! He went from quizzical to stud in one season, and he's one of the more promising small forwards in the league as a result.

A salary contained below $10 million annually is good work for the Hawks, especially when you consider how reasonable Smith's contract looks. The Hawks still need a piece (or serious improvement from the young core, or a standout season from rookie Jeff Teague) to do better than fourth in the conference, but there's time. There's time.

• Premium Member

Guys, is it not great that players actually want to stay in Atlanta? This is a huge chance IMO.

Next step: getting veterans to sign here. (Ahem, Joe Smith we NEED you).

Amen.

Ziller over at NBA Fanhouse has the glass half full attitude that I like with Marvin:

Hawks Keep Marvin Williams

The Hawks played hardball this summer with restricted free agent Marvin Williams, just as the Hawks do with most restricted free agents. Last year, Atlanta GM Rick Sund allowed Josh Smith to hang in the RFA win, only bringing the electric forward back when Memphis got Smith to sign a reasonable offer sheet.

It didn't come to that this season -- Marvin apparently talked to no other team seriously -- but it still worked out for Atlanta. Marc Spears of Yahoo! reports Williams will stay in the ATL for $40 million over the next five seasons.

As Kevin Pelton of Basketball Prospectus has noted, Sund has always tried to use restricted free agency to his advantage -- he played hardball with Rashard Lewis, Reggie Evans and Vladimir Radmanovic during his Seattle tenure. Because restricted free agency heavily favors teams over players, Sund has had great success in this area.

Williams as an unrestricted free agent could have received closer to $50 million, even in this climate. He's a stellar defender at the small forward spot, agile and looooong. But during his first three seasons, Williams's offense lagged and his instincts weren't quite developed. He worked hard last summer to develop a jumper ... and it worked! He went from quizzical to stud in one season, and he's one of the more promising small forwards in the league as a result.

A salary contained below $10 million annually is good work for the Hawks, especially when you consider how reasonable Smith's contract looks. The Hawks still need a piece (or serious improvement from the young core, or a standout season from rookie Jeff Teague) to do better than fourth in the conference, but there's time. There's time.

There goes another squawker overrating Marvin's defense. I wonder what username this guy posts under.

:rolleyes: