• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Did Roy's 80 million set the bar for Joe's extension?

capstone21

• Admin

5 year 80 million for Roy. That is 15 million a year. I consider these guys pretty much the same player...will this be the amount that it will take to get Joe?

I am hoping it will be 12 - 13 a year but I have a feeling it will be 14 - 15 a year.

How much do you guys think he is worth?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Give Joe 14 Million and I think it's reasonable. Any higher than that, we overpaid. We get Joe 12 million and I'll be really impressed by Sund.

Do people realize how silly this sounds?

You'd be okay with Joe being given $70,000,000 (count every zero), but paying him $72,000,000 is "overpaying?"

Joe is already making very close to 15mil for this season so if Roy is going to make 15 a year then Joe will definetly make atleast 15mill per on his next contract.

yeah, i'd be pretty shocked if jj took a pay cut. lower luxury tax or not, he will be a premier free agent in a year numerous teams are clearing cap room for. he will have teams bidding on him that missed out on wade or lebron (especially if they resign with their teams before next summer). he's not bibby on the end of his career, he's in his prime. this is his last big time contract and he won't want to settle simply because the economy has taken a temporary downturn or because we've already been paying him to be on a .500 team over his career here. the economic outlook won't be as bad as it is now in years 3, 4, or 5, or 6 of his contract.

i'd expect him to ask for 18/per and sund hope to keep him at 15/per, maybe they would settle on 16.5/per.

I think this contract does help set the market for JJ. Their accomplishments are basically the same as are their stats. I think the contract will likely be $80-$85 Million over 5 years.

Agreed. However, Joe's agent might point to Rashard Lewis' 6 year 110 million dollar contract as the comparable contract.

• Premium Member

5 year 80 million for Roy. That is 15 million a year. I consider these guys pretty much the same player...will this be the amount that it will take to get Joe?

Your math is a little off as this is 16 million/year. Nonetheless I think his camp may request upwards of 18 million/year (5 yrs - 90 million). Whether the Hawks are willing to pay that is another question.

Give Joe 14 Million and I think it's reasonable. Any higher than that, we overpaid. We get Joe 12 million and I'll be really impressed by Sund.

Look.

Joe is going to get $15 mil per. He and his agent are not worried about that.

There are only two questions here. 1)Will he get it from the Hawks or some one else. 2)Are the Hawks crazy enough to think they can be competitive without him.

• Premium Member

I am hoping it will be 12 - 13 a year but I have a feeling it will be 14 - 15 a year.

Roy is a better scorer late in games otherwise these 2 are the same.

Roy is a better scorer late in games otherwise these 2 are the same.

Roy plays in a better offensive system with a guy that is a legit post scorer. Put Joe into that system with Aldridge and see where Joe's numbers go. I'm just sayin'

Joe needs to be paid his fair market rate ~90 mil. Do any of you really think the Knicks won't come hard a JJ if they don't get Wade or LBJ? And, if either Wade or LBJ leave their teams, those teams can then go after JJ.

The Hawks are right to go for the extension now to keep JJ off the open market. JJ can sit back and let the market develop or he can say that he's happy with playing in Atlanta and sign the extension. Either way he gets his pay.

One caveat: If JJ is worried about his health, then he should sign the extension.

That is actually an average of $16M per...But Roy's actual contract more than likely would start around $14M and end near $18M in the final year...IMHO, even though Joe is prob my favorite player, that is a little too steep for Joe at this point...He pretty much played up to the 5yr-$70M that he got when he signed here...But over the last 2 seasons, he has not shown that he deserves more than $70M...

So, I think he should be resigned in the $65-70M range (which is an average of $13-14M per and could start at $11-12M) or the Hawks could tack on incentives for Joe to maybe get up to $75M (depending on his numbers)...In that situation, he'd still be the highest paid Hawk and he'd have incentives to motivate him to stay consistent and put up nice numbers going forward...I think that would be more than fair and it would give us a little more room for us to lock up Horford next year...

Edited by y2kenta

I don't know but if Sund gets JJ to sign you really have to give it to the man. This FO is doing the right thing and it seem as they are developing a nice relationship with these players. That can do nothing but bring good things for the Hawks

hmm...like with Chillz, Solo and Flip?

• Moderators

So, I think he should be resigned in the $65-70M range (which is an average of $13-14M per and could start at $11-12M) or the Hawks could tack on incentives for Joe to maybe get up to $75M (depending on his numbers)...In that situation, he'd still be the highest paid Hawk and he'd have incentives to motivate him to stay consistent and put up nice numbers going forward...I think that would be more than fair and it would give us a little more room for us to lock up Horford next year...

I think anyone thinking along these lines needs to reevaluate their position. It is totally unrealistic to expect JJ to take a salary decrease - he earns $15M this season - in a market where there will be a ton of money and a lot of buyers after he is likely coming off of his 4th consecutive All-Star game.

Joe is going to get paid and anyone expecting a starting salary in the 11M or 12M range is out of their mind, IMO.

That is actually an average of $16M per...But Roy's actual contract more than likely would start around $14M and end near $18M in the final year...IMHO, even though Joe is prob my favorite player, that is a little too steep for Joe at this point...He pretty much played up to the 5yr-$70M that he got when he signed here...But over the last 2 seasons, he has not shown that he deserves more than $70M...

Let me ask you a few questions........do the Hawks even make the playoffs without Joe these last 2 years? Forget the numbers, just a simple yes or no. Do we make it this year without Joe? And finally do we win that Miami series last year without Joe?