• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Juan Dixon a Possibility?

Diesel

I was just reading that Juan Dixon is in camp with us.

Sources are suggesting that he could help our PG situation?

What do you think about another combo guard?

I'm happy with our PG position, if Jeff Teague is even remotely close to all the reports I'm reading. Personally, I would like to fill out the roster with as many bigs as we can. I think we're aight in the backcourt with the guys we already have under contract. However, if the dude plays ball to the wall and shows the coaches he's earned a roster spot....no complaints here.

I was just reading that Juan Dixon is in camp with us.

Sources are suggesting that he could help our PG situation?

What do you think about another combo guard?

He's a hardnosed D.C. cat, not afraid to shoot. If his defense is better than average, he will have a shot. Quite frankly, I'm surprised he is here. I would believe his agent would have landed him in a softer place. It will be very difficult to get on this roster.

I'm happy with our PG position, if Jeff Teague is even remotely close to all the reports I'm reading. Personally, I would like to fill out the roster with as many bigs as we can. I think we're aight in the backcourt with the guys we already have under contract. However, if the dude plays ball to the wall and shows the coaches he's earned a roster spot....no complaints here.

Usually I would agree with this but upon further inspection I noticed we already have 7 bigs on the roster. 4 that can play the PF position in Marvin, Smoove, Joe Smith and Al then 3 true centers in Zaza, Collins, RandMo. We all know Horf starts at the 5 and Joe Smith will flex at center too so I don't really see where we can afford to find minutes for two more bigs. Personally I would prefer a big guard/swingman considering that Joe is the only member of our team that fits that criteria but having another combo guard would free up Joe to play more at the 3 spelling Marvin and Mo.

• Premium Member

I want a guard on the roster who is a good on-ball defender, ie capable of disrupting the other PG's game and of preventing paint penetration. Bibby isn't that, Crawford isn't that, and Teague... until the whistle blows... is an unknown. I don't know if that guard is Dixon, or if it's Wilks, or someone else, but I think it's a needed asset. Don't forget, too, that Bibby has had a history of injury.

I definately wouldn't mind having him. I thought I was the only one who caught that he was on the camp roster. I like him alot more than Mike Wilks (due to his height)

I will say this, as our roster currently stands I think we need one more combo gaurd and a true SF. But seeing as though we dont have any SF's invited to camp I will scratch that from my wish list. We are potentially 5 deep at every frontcourt position but only 4 deep at the guard spots

PG: Bibby, Teague, Crawford, Johnson

SG: Johnson, Crawford, Evans, Teague

SF: Williams, Evans, Johnson, Smoove, Joe Smith

PF: Smoove, Smith, Williams, Horford, Pachulia (possibly even Joe in some situations)

C: Horford, Pachulia, Collins, Smith, Morris

If we throw another Combo gaurd in the mix we will have a flexible roster with 5 potential player at every position

My favorites for that spot is between:

Juan Dixon: 6'3 Scorer, veteran, adequate defense

Mario West: 6'5 Athletic, Energy, Defense, Heart

Frank Robinson: 6'4 Quick, Energetic, better scorer than West

[sidenote]

Since we obviously will add at least one more big, I truly would like Hunter since he can shoot now, and send Silar to the D-league.

I want a guard on the roster who is a good on-ball defender, ie capable of disrupting the other PG's game and of preventing paint penetration. Bibby isn't that, Crawford isn't that, and Teague... until the whistle blows... is an unknown. I don't know if that guard is Dixon, or if it's Wilks, or someone else, but I think it's a needed asset. Don't forget, too, that Bibby has had a history of injury.

I agree Sturt, Teague is a unknown and it may take him two or three seasons to develop. I think last year proved we need to be prepared for the worse when it comes to multiple players missing significant time. Dixon or Wilks may be that guy. With ZaZa and the signings of Collins and Smith we are deep enough in bigs to cover for Horf, Smoove, or Marvin for the short term...we need that same kind of depth at pg/sg as well.

Edited by Buzzard

I was looking through media day pics over at Getty Images and Hawks.com and apparently Juan is already in uniform along with Othello and Mario, not sure if it's a sign of favoritism in how the camp might shake out or just the other guys' pics weren't posted. I Wouldn't find it to be so bad if we came away from camp looking like that though.

• Moderators

Quite frankly, I'm surprised he is here. I would believe his agent would have landed him in a softer place. It will be very difficult to get on this roster.

I think that says less about his agent's strategy and more about his lack of options at this point.

I was looking through media day pics over at Getty Images and Hawks.com and apparently Juan is already in uniform along with Othello and Mario, not sure if it's a sign of favoritism in how the camp might shake out or just the other guys' pics weren't posted. I Wouldn't find it to be so bad if we came away from camp looking like that though.

All invitees are in uniform.

I too feel like we need a backup sf but I want to see Sims(If he is the type of player I think he is) and West(Can't Knock Da Hustle). We are a pretty solid 10 deep as we speak so why not get a good potential all around big(who can show something barring injury & etc.(Joe Smith & Collins are probably rentals so developing another talented young big may be helpful ) and some one that does not beg for alot of minutes but still brings it every night(He picked up some of the chase down blocks reminiscent of what Smoove did with the exception of last year). He has definitely earned his right and is a hometown favorite underdog(Which as a Hawks fan it just wouldn't feel right without having an underdog somewhere/somehow). Sometimes too much fire power is a bad thing and can cause chemistry problems but if Juan is willing to take a reserve role and maybe fill that 15 spot. If Juan comes he may be coming alone due to possible salary.

ROSTER

Bibby/Teague/Crawford

Johnson/Crawford/West/Evans

Williams/Evans/Johnson/West/Smoove

Smoove/Smith/Sims/Horford/Williams/Pachulia/Morris

Horford/Pachulia/Collins/Morris/Sims

Edited by sillent