• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If the Hawks want to be the best it can be....

Diesel

• Premium Member

You may hate me after I say this.

But

Trade away Horf and get a C with a low post game in here.

I haven't seen Horf play since the offseason, but.. if his offense is not matured any since last year, it's time that we find a replacement.

Preferably a big C with a low post game.

Now more than ever, we have the ability to have a inside out game. I just don't think that Smoove or Horf are the guys to get it done.

I say we give it to the allstar break but at the break, we have to start looking around... if Horf is not consistent in the low post... then maybe looking at some other guys might not be a bad option.

Guys like:

Brook Lopez.

Gortat (I'm scared).

Thabeet (I'm scared)

Gasol.

If Sund does something like this, he has to find somebody who is young and good or projects to be good.

But

I haven't seen Horf play since the offseason, but.. if his offense is not matured any since last year, it's time that we find a replacement.

Now more than ever, we have the ability to have a inside out game. I just don't think that Smoove or Horf are the guys to get it done.

I say we give it to the allstar break but at the break, we have to start looking around... if Horf is not consistent in the low post... then maybe looking at some other guys might not be a bad option.

Guys like:

Brook Lopez.

Gortat (I'm scared).

Thabeet (I'm scared)

Gasol.

If Sund does something like this, he has to find somebody who is young and good or projects to be good.

Diesel, I always read your posts with an objective point of view and in a positive light....but no way in hell am I for trading away Al Horford at this point in time, or later in the year. You may be correct about the philosophy and what not, whatever...but I'll stick with Big Al over the likes of Brooks Lopz or Hasheem Thabeet.

Hardest position to fill, doubtful any team gives up young comparable talent for him. I suggested Oden earlier in the year when he was down in the dumps but he may finally be the Greg Oden that they drafted judging by his current preseason play. Best bet if Horf were to be moved would be Memphis due to their glut of young rookie contract bigs but they at best project to be slightly taller versions of Horf. I'd say this season and next is too early to move him unless an obvious replacement shows up on the market or draft.

But

Guys like:

Brook Lopez.

Gortat (I'm scared).

Thabeet (I'm scared)

Gasol.

You might want to add Roy Hibbert to that list. He had 20pts and 8blks in the pacers game the other day. He is slowly turning into a pretty good player.

Hardest position to fill, doubtful any team gives up young comparable talent for him. I suggested Oden earlier in the year when he was down in the dumps but he may finally be the Greg Oden that they drafted judging by his current preseason play. Best bet if Horf were to be moved would be Memphis due to their glut of young rookie contract bigs but they at best project to be slightly taller versions of Horf. I'd say this season and next is too early to move him unless an obvious replacement shows up on the market or draft.

Did you bold the in front of Greg Oden because he's from The Ohio State University?

(For the record, I don't understand the pun, it's really strange)

Did you bold the in front of Greg Oden because he's from The Ohio State University?

(For the record, I don't understand the pun, it's really strange)

Works both ways my friend, he is from the Buckeyes and is turning out to be the bigman that was hyped since highschool not the fragile,timid, foul prone stiff he was last season.........for now.

Works both ways my friend, he is from the Buckeyes and is turning out to be the bigman that was hyped since highschool not the fragile,timid, foul prone stiff he was last season.........for now.

Not debating this! It's a fact currently.

• Premium Member

I don't trust Oden... Would much rather have Aldridge. However, if BLopez is on the table. I say we have to serioiusly consider that. That's an admission that Horford has a lot of value but at the same time admitting that if we can replace him for maybe a lesser talented C with true C height and a real low post game... we would probably be better off as a team. I read somebody's reply above and I can see the homerism creeping in over sound thought. Sound thought is that we have the best team possible. Homerism say we stick with guys we drafted ...no matter what...

I'm interested to see what Gortat and Thabeet will do this year. With the East getting bigger, I fear what will happen in a half court game against Howard or Shaq.

• Premium Member

You might want to add Roy Hibbert to that list. He had 20pts and 8blks in the pacers game the other day. He is slowly turning into a pretty good player.

I liked Hibbert at Georgetown. I'm scared of Hibbert moreso than any other big. He has definite ability and size but I don't know. Something is missing.

Now you are on to something. I am not sold on trading Horford or Smoove just yet; they are both young and have plenty of room for improvement. But if we ever want to win BIG, at least one of them has to become BIG in the post, both on offense and defense. Even players as great as Kobe, Lebron, and Wade need post help; and plenty of it.

Edited by Buzzard

moving al for any of those guys would completely change the identity of our team. although al's size is a limiting factor, he constantly beats opposing C's with his speed for easy buckets. we'd also lose the only big we have who can guard the pick and roll and consistently help on D. that's a facet of our defense we desperately need as long as we have bibby guarding devin harris, rajon rondo, etc.

• Premium Member

moving al for any of those guys would completely change the identity of our team. although al's size is a limiting factor, he constantly beats opposing C's with his speed for easy buckets. we'd also lose the only big we have who can guard the pick and roll and consistently help on D. that's a facet of our defense we desperately need as long as we have bibby guarding devin harris, rajon rondo, etc.

I'm not against Al. Understand me here. I really like Al. However, i do note that last year, Al's offense was nothing. I'm hoping it's just a matter that he's young. However, offensively, he's a garbage player. I hope and pray that he has worked with somebody like Clifford Ray over the summer. Or even Woody himself. I wonder if Woody could train guys to play the way he used to play offensively. Point is that we can't be a top 3 team in the East if Al cannot be counted on to score. I look at the work that Ray did with Boston's big. Glenn Davis looked pretty good in the playoffs. He was able to play inside with good footwork and he had developed a high post and midrange shot. Right now, Al lines up high post. However, he hits that open high post set shot maybe once ever 7 times. I would love to see him be able to knock that down at will. Like Lambeer. It adds the wrinkle that our offense could use. I would love to see him get a back to the basket game... but those are not in style.n However, at his height, we don't have any advantage over opposing bigs. He plays with a lot of heart, but we're going to need some production to keep competitive in the east.

Next year.

Yes. Either next season or before the trade deadline. Sund has made some big trades over his career and he is not bashful when it comes to moving his teams best talent. Examples: Gary Payton, Allan Houston, and Grant Hill. He is just as well known for aquiring great talent through the draft and via trades. Examples: Ray Allen, Ben Wallace, Nick Collison, and Rashard Lewis.

Give him time. We have talent and if our team cannot compete at the highest level, he will make a move. Given his history it will be a big one. Sund is one of the best GMs who has never won a NBA championship.

Edited by Buzzard

Everyone know for the Hawks to make that jump to the Elite level where they can contend the the NBA Championship, they need a Quality Center.

BUT...........I would not trade Al. I WOULD trade Smoove and move AL to the #4. If Al didn't have to play against bigger centers every night, he would up his

PPG average and continue to be a rebounding machine. Plus, we now have Joe Smith as a backup to Al. Smoove is a gamble and may never reach his

potential, while AL is a guaranteed double/double eevery night. Consistency is better than potential. Also, with Al at the #4 , alongside a real center,

imagine how good our defense would really be?

So Diesel, I like your idea, but trade Smoove........NOT AL!!!!!!