• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin Williams

AnthonyI11

Ok, I am not trying to start a hate topic on Marvin Williams at all. I love the dude. I really want him to succeed and wishes he had improved as much as he said he did over the off season. But this is reality and the numbers just aren't coming. I thought the addition of Jamal Crawford would actually help him, creating more open looks then ever before. I think it's time for Marvin to go. We need to trade Marvin for someone who strictly plays defense and shoots a high percentage from 3. Kind of like Shane Battier or James Posey (3 years ago).

I really don't want to see Marvin go, but for the sake of the team I think a defender+3 point shooter is what we need to go that extra step.

post-2078-125838089559_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member

If it aint broke don't fix it. Marvin wil snap out of it eventually.

Kirilenko had an extended period of adjustment not unlike this when the Jazz took it to the next level in 06-07; Kirilenko sleepwalked through most of that season because he all of a sudden found himself without a defined role on the team. Marvin's role will probably eventually be exactly what you just described for Battier and Posey - a big-time wing defender who drains corner 3s. But it's the coach's job to tell him what his role is, not Marvin's job to figure it out for himself, and Woody's talk before the season was "we need to get Marvin MORE involved in the offense," which is tough when he's ALWAYS getting placed on the weakside and consequently is getting as few touches as he is (which in turn makes it harder for him to find an offensive rhythm).

Give Marvin some time. He'll develop into a slightly taller and longer version of Posey or Battier. But everyone (Woody, Marvin, and us fans) needs to stop expecting him to be an offensive force, and Woody needs to start talking about him that way.

Kirilenko had an extended period of adjustment not unlike this when the Jazz took it to the next level in 06-07; Kirilenko sleepwalked through most of that season because he all of a sudden found himself without a defined role on the team. Marvin's role will probably eventually be exactly what you just described for Battier and Posey - a big-time wing defender who drains corner 3s. But it's the coach's job to tell him what his role is, not Marvin's job to figure it out for himself, and Woody's talk before the season was "we need to get Marvin MORE involved in the offense," which is tough when he's ALWAYS getting placed on the weakside and consequently is getting as few touches as he is (which in turn makes it harder for him to find an offensive rhythm).

Give Marvin some time. He'll develop into a slightly taller and longer version of Posey or Battier. But everyone (Woody, Marvin, and us fans) needs to stop expecting him to be an offensive force, and Woody needs to start talking about him that way.

You hit the point right on the head. All he ever does is just stand on the weakside. Woody is a large part of the blame and Marvin is starting to drive more but with us playing the way we are things will probably won't change. He will come out of it but due to the way things are ran it will take him a longer amount of time. People don't forget that Jamal is a streak shooter he will hit a slump sooner or later let's see how many trade Jamal threads we get. Let;s not forget the very long stretch JJ went on after he choked in Boston last year or Smooth. Marvin isn't a volume shooter!!

• Like 1

:snowballfight:

Got to have something to complain about and right now Marvin Williams is all we can find.

Hawks are winning. Beating some pretty good teams. Winning road games. Limited our

turnovers. Hitting a nice % of our free throws. Scoring a lot inside. Josh refuses to take

those 3 balls. Getting our share of rebounds.

We're in first place. We have the best record in the NBA. We can be critical of Woody, but that's hard

when we consider our record. He could always do better, but we're winning all those games.

So, it all falls on Marvin Williams. Diesel's favorite Hawk. Must be. He talks more about him than

any other player. And, we gotta admit, much of what Diesel says seems to be coming true.

Thunder Butt is not an all star. He's not even the second best player @ his position. But, he's ours.

He starts on a team that's in 1st place. He's in a prolonged slump. Everything is not going well.

We want and expect more and if he can't give it to us NOW then he needs to go. Huh? Just like

that! Just because the Hawks are winning and he's a part of the team, forget that. Trade him!

:comp_virus:

Thunder Butt is not an all star.

LOL :laughing5:

I like Marvin playing about 25 - 29 minutes, while starting, as long as Crawford is hot and Marvin is not. Its nice to have Marvin on nights where we go up against a big SF or profilic SG (so JJ can guard the Kobe, Carter, & Roy like SGs instead of Crawford.) Also, its not like scoring is a problem for this team......our defense is the only weakness right now.

I could understand the anger if Crawford was not getting big minutes but as of late Crawford has been getting starter minutes, as he should be, and is finshing out the close games.................just as a 6th man of the year candidate, on a WINNING team should.

The chemistry with the roster and how the minutes are being distributed seems to be working out beautifully.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

If it aint broke don't fix it. Marvin wil snap out of it eventually.

Yes, I want this too. I want Marvin to stay and to stay starting (as long as we're winning) so that the people who claim that Marvin is good that Marvin is this and Marvin is that can choke on Marvin's stale mediocrity. From this point on, I will call him "contract year".

• Like 1

• Moderators

We've all been conditioned to be cheap around here. There's nothing wrong with having extra talent. Are you looking for a better defenisve 3/3 pt shooter than Marvin? That may be hard to find in exchange for Marvin. Plus, isn't that what Mo is?

I agree with leaving well enough alone. Its not that he's hurting us out there. I've seen him make some nice post ups and he had a good drive and pass to Horford last game. I've never been on the Marvin band wagon but I just don't see being able to get much for him at this point. The squawk is the last to admit what the league has known for a while. He's plateauing. Everyone does that 4-5 years into their nba career regardless of their age.

• Premium Member

So now, we make the assumption that Woody failed to define roles? Funny thing is Mo Evans and Craw get it. If nothing else, Contract Year can imitate them.

Nire, I see you have the excuse machine running at a steady rate. Keep it coming. It's good for the environment.

Actually I'm really alright with Marvin. Haviing Jamal, Mo and Joe Smith here reduces the pressure for Marvin to "step up" immediatley neccessary. Allow Marvin to find himself in the blanket. I see him doing some dirty work stuff which I believe he is mroe suited for. Allow him to play the good "D", battle for rebounds and find his soft spots for the jumper.

Marvin will be fine.

Woody is doing well with the rotation and Marvin is needed, in the mix.

Edited by Swatguy

• Premium Member

So now, we make the assumption that Woody failed to define roles? Funny thing is Mo Evans and Craw get it. If nothing else, Contract Year can imitate them.

Nire, I see you have the excuse machine running at a steady rate. Keep it coming. It's good for the environment.

Diesel, I see you still have the "oh wait someone suggested that Marvin might not be a complete waste of air TIME TO SMACK THEM DOWN" machine running at full overdrive, as always. Keep it coming. It's good for a laugh.

• Like 1

I'm open to trading Marvin, but I don't think it's something we need to do. He hasn't played well at all and we still have the best record in the East. I think he'll get back on track soon and as basically our 6th man he brings a lot to the table. He can hit the 3, get to the line, defend, rebound, and run the floor with the rest of our athletes. He's a great fit when he's playing well.

Yes, I want this too. I want Marvin to stay and to stay starting (as long as we're winning) so that the people who claim that Marvin is good that Marvin is this and Marvin is that can choke on Marvin's stale mediocrity. From this point on, I will call him "contract year".

Did Smoove have a down year after he signed his contract last year? Yes he did, and I also recall a lot of posters and some national media having the same thoughts. JJ shot poorly by his standards most of last season also; same talk only the label was volume shooter and ball hog, we need to trade him. So far Marvin has only had a down 9 games.

We are in 1st place, just put together our best string of road wins in 10 years, yet the panic on this board is abundant. If we traded or benched every player that went through a bad slump; who exactly would be our starting five right now? :help wanted3:

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Smoove had a down year mostly because of injury. I wouldn't say I have noticed any change in his mindset or the way he played from that perspective.

I noticed a change in his mindset every time he stepped to the FT line last season.

With the players around him, Marvin is never going to put up huge numbers. He may have his night now and then when he'll score a lot of points, but' it's not going to be consistent due to the players around him. Marvin is in a shooting slump, that he -like most NBA players- will come out of eventually. I know this is redudant, but it's true. He's the glue guy. He doesn't do anything great, but does nothing to hurt the team either. When you have starters like him, with the boat loads of talent around him, it helps. All I know is we're off to a great start and Marv's been a part of it. Let him play, and the team to have continued success...

Smoove had a down year mostly because of injury. I wouldn't say I have noticed any change in his mindset or the way he played from that perspective.

Missing the point. Its every year on this board someone slumps for what ever reason and panic raises its ugly head. Trade or Bench someone is posted on a weekly basis. Last season JJ, Bibby, Marvin, and Smoove all had these types of threads. And this season for now it is Marvin mostly with a few on Bibby the first week or two of the season.

It is not everyone does this; just a select few as it concerns a player they don't like or to state their opinion that a player they do like should be starting ( Crawford and Teague getting more minutes than Bibby and Marvin). Then a few others join in like a feeding frenzy and the panic threads dominate the whole board. It is hilarious and typical of fan boards everywhere; whether you are in first place or last....

Read them, laugh at them, and enjoy being in first place is where I am taking this.

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

Diesel, I see you still have the "oh wait someone suggested that Marvin might not be a complete waste of air TIME TO SMACK THEM DOWN" machine running at full overdrive, as always. Keep it coming. It's good for a laugh.

Actually, Nire, I don't need a machine at all. Marvin's play does enough talking. The curtain has been rolled back and now everybody can see the stuff you're shoveling. Once again, I put you to the test. If Marvin was on another team, would you trade for him? That's his value. I doubt you would be saying we should trade for him and give him time to get it together.

C/S

• Premium Member

Missing the point. Its every year on this board someone slumps for what ever reason and panic raises its ugly head. Trade or Bench someone is posted on a weekly basis. Last season JJ, Bibby, Marvin, and Smoove all had these types of threads. And this season for now it is Marvin mostly with a few on Bibby the first week or two of the season.

It is not everyone does this; just a select few as it concerns a player they don't like or to state their opinion that a player they do like should be starting ( Crawford and Teague getting more minutes than Bibby and Marvin). Then a few others join in like a feeding frenzy and the panic threads dominate the whole board. It is hilarious and typical of fan boards everywhere; whether you are in first place or last....

Read them, laugh at them, and enjoy being in first place is where I am taking this.

The point was that Marvin's slump is not due to injury. Marvin's slump is do to inadequacy.