• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What should the Hawks do with JJ?

RMJ

It will take near max or maybe even max money to keep him if he continue to play the way he's playing. It wouldn't be smart to trade him while the team is playing so well, BUT if ownership isn't prepared to pay close to the max they have no other choice. Atlanta isn't a playoff team next year if Joe walks for nothing.

• Premium Member

It will take near max or maybe even max money to keep him if he continue to play the way he's playing. It wouldn't be smart to trade him while the team is playing so well, BUT if ownership isn't prepared to pay close to the max they have no other choice. Atlanta isn't a playoff team next year if Joe walks for nothing.

IF we get to the ECF, I say pay him.

What a downer, man...

You're right. They gave him a good low-ball offer of 4@$60M. At this point we can wonder if 5@$80M might not have been a better choice. As for trades; I've played around a lot. He's not easy to trade.

Question; do the Hawks lose all rights at season's end or do they have any Bird right kinda thing ? We can't match, but can we still offer a contract with a fifth year ?

If we are winning and he keeps playing well, ownership WILL be prepared to pay him max money next year if that is what it takes to get him resigned. They would be crazy not to do that even if it meant trading Mo, Zaza, Bibby, Marvin or even Crawford for draft picks to create enough room under the luxury tax threshold to resign JJ. Those guys are all important but the MOST important 3 for this team are CLEARLY JJ, Smoove and Al.

What a downer, man...

You're right. They gave him a good low-ball offer of 4@$60M. At this point we can wonder if 5@$80M might not have been a better choice. As for trades; I've played around a lot. He's not easy to trade.

Question; do the Hawks lose all rights at season's end or do they have any Bird right kinda thing ? We can't match, but can we still offer a contract with a fifth year ?

Four years was the maximum length of an extension that we could offer him. When he becomes an unrestricted FA next summer, we can offer him as many as SIX years (other teams can only offer him five).

We DO have JJ's Bird Rights and we can offer him a contract for as many as six years up to the max.

This is ludicrous talk. Joe Johnson is a valuable free agent, but he's entering free agency with all the other crazy 2010 big names. It's going to be nuts. Right now, who the hell would want to leave this team? Especially after he's worked so hard for so long to get this team to where it is. There is absolutely no point in trying to figure out what will become of Joe after this season because that will be mostly determined by what happens this season.

Thus, trading him is a laughable idea, and would be tragic suicide for this franchise. JJ's going nowhere in 09-10, and that's all that really matters until July.

i say well resign him a couple weeks after free agency or midway sesaon or later on in the season if we dont lets try to get dwade

dont start this again!!!!!

• Like 1

IF we get to the ECF, I say pay him.

This is where I give diesel a webgasm. I actually think the time is ripe to try and move JJ along with Marvin and the rights to chillz for Dwade and the required filler. As soon as Marvin is tradeable, I would jump on this deal if possible.

don't be surprised if something like this isn't done in the offseason.

This is where I give diesel a webgasm. I actually think the time is ripe to try and move JJ along with Marvin and the rights to chillz for Dwade and the required filler. As soon as Marvin is tradeable, I would jump on this deal if possible.

don't be surprised if something like this isn't done in the offseason.

if the Hawks get Wade, ill never watch them again...i have no respect for him anymore

he was almost at a Paulina Pierce level of flopping/fake injuries/whining in last years playoffs

Go Hawks!

This is ludicrous talk. Joe Johnson is a valuable free agent, but he's entering free agency with all the other crazy 2010 big names. It's going to be nuts. Right now, who the hell would want to leave this team? Especially after he's worked so hard for so long to get this team to where it is. There is absolutely no point in trying to figure out what will become of Joe after this season because that will be mostly determined by what happens this season.

Thus, trading him is a laughable idea, and would be tragic suicide for this franchise. JJ's going nowhere in 09-10, and that's all that really matters until July.

Exactly!!

• Like 1

If Joe leaves this team he worked so hard with to get to this point, for slightly more money. Then I hope the door hits him in the a$$ AND the head on the way out!

If his goal is to win a championship, I wouldn't blame him if he went somewhere like Cleveland or Dallas. If he goes to New York for more money, that would be really selfish.

The answer is simple, pay Joe whatever he wants to stay here. We could have a championship soon and that doesn't happen if Joe's walks no matter what we might get for him if anything. If this team really want to win the big one they need to keep our core unit together for at least another 3 years. If we lose Joe our entire team chemistry goes out the door and we almost start over.

Pay him what he wants and keep adding depth and we will win the champioship.