• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

CHUCK BARKLEY CALLS OUT HAWKS FANS

Chaze

Btw - I currently live in the other city with notoriously terrible bball fans. Philadelphia cheers for the Phillies first, Eagles second, Flyers third, Nittany Lions fourth, Big Five hoops fifth, and Sixers last. I went to opening night (against the Hawks, as a matter of fact) here a couple years ago. Couldn't have been more than 5000 people in the stands.

Where do you live here in Philly? I'm going to the game on Friday, me and my son.

Man oh man, do we have to do this AGAIN?????

If you're expecting 14 games to offset close to a decade of horrible basketball and over 40 years of never making it beyond the second round of the playoffs, you must be kidding. And if you're expecting a great start to stir up folks who still couldn't locate Philips without the help of OnStar (unless Kobe or Labron is in town), you must be kidding. Let them lose to Orlando on Thursday in front of a national TV audience; you'll see everyone in the national media declaring them as not being ready for 'prime time' yet; you think that won't have a negative impact at the gate?

All the other teams mentioned so far as having good attendance have a wayyyyyyy better history of 'big moments' than the Hawks do. That's a fact. That's what keep some of them in the seats when things go south. Bulls fan can harken back to the six titles. Celtic fans have Bird, McHale, Parish, and now KG and Paul Pierce. Even the Bucks and Nets have played for the title. What has been our 'big moment' to warrent mainstream attention from this town other than a slam-dunk contest?

Face facts, people; until the Hawks are playing games in May and possibly June, there will still be tons of fans in this town who won't be convinced that they're one iota better than Nique's squads who couldn't beat Detroit or Boston in the '80s or Steve Smith's teams would couldn't beat Chicago in the '90s. Factor in a bad economy, 10%+ unemployment, and 3-4 million transients who will never step foot in the building unless (insert superstar/hometown team here) shows up and you have a dynamic seen in very few places in this country (but I don't blame the transients; if I moved to Seattle, I'd never pay a dime to walk into Qwest Field unless the Falcons came in to visit, only to show up draped in Matt Ryan and/or Michael Turner gear from head to toe). Mention the Hawks in a barber shop and you'll find folks who don't know they still play here but will tell you Labron's favorite style pizza and clothing store.

We all know (or at the very least, SHOULD know) that football is king in the south. If the Hawks win eight in a row in November, it might get a blog or two in the AJC. But if UGA's third-string tight end prefers A-1 over Heinz 57 sauce, it hits the front page tomorrow morning and gets a full-length segment on the evening news of every station in town. Them's the facts and that will never, EVER change.

And speaking of Braves playoff games, how many world titles did they end up winning? Fewer than the Marlins, right? And Bobby Cox still got to call his shot as far as when he could leave as opposed to Joe Torre who got run after winning FOUR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS. BTW, didn't Grady Little get fired from the Red Sox for leaving Petro in for one batter too many in the ALCS? How did that turn out? Oh yeah, Boston went on to win two championships. And you wonder why we all threw our hands up in frustration and stopped showing up? After awhile, folks get tired of watching (insert playoff opponent here) toss champagne on each other in the middle of Turner Field year after year while the hometeam manager is as safe as newborn in his mother's arms. You can only see a bad movie so many times, especially when the ending has already been published on Wikipedia.

They'll show up and show out only if they keep winning like they are now. Anything less, well....

Edited by Dejay

I bet it won't be very crowded Thursday nite also due to the holiday. I'll be there but I'm even having a problem finding someone to use my second ticket.

Hey Iman, I'll take that ticket if you still have it! Drop me a line at jackbandel@gmail.com

Jack

And speaking of Braves playoff games, how many world titles did they end up winning? Fewer than the Marlins, right? And Bobby Cox still got to call his shot as far as when he could leave as opposed to Joe Torre who got run after winning FOUR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS. BTW, didn't Grady Little get fired from the Red Sox for leaving Petro in for one batter too many in the ALCS? How did that turn out? Oh yeah, Boston went on to win two championships. And you wonder why we all threw our hands up in frustration and stopped showing up? After awhile, folks get tired of watching (insert playoff opponent here) toss champagne on each other in the middle of Turner Field year after year while the hometeam manager is as safe as newborn in his mother's arms. You can only see a bad movie so many times, especially when the ending has already been published on Wikipedia.

They'll show up and show out only if they keep winning like they are now. Anything less, well....

What you are saying right here about the Braves is typical of how Atlanta fans are viewed from other cities. I have lived in Cinicinnati for the past 7 years and they would kill for just one division title much less over a dozen in a row. There was so much envy up here for Atlanta when the Braves were on that streak, you had to be here to believe it.

Edited by Buzzard

I am PISSED that I have to miss this game tomorrow night. I was definitely going to be there, until about a week ago. I'm so used to that 4 - 4.5 hour drive to ATL, that it isn't even funny. I treat that drive like a Tour de France time trial.

And for you people coming from the suburbs north of Atlanta . . . if you want to avoid heavy traffic, get off on I-75 at the Northside Dr exit, and go all the way into ATL until you reach Marietta St. Take that left on Marietta St, which will lead you straight to the CNN Center. There will be plenty of places to park in parking lots or in hotel parking garages for $5 - $15. I have no problem getting to the Arena, when I travel this route. And it definitely helps when I'm running late.

As for Barkley's comment . . . keep telling the truth. The Metro Atlanta Hawk fans that love this team, definitely need to show up tomorrow night.

I am PISSED that I have to miss this game tomorrow night. I was definitely going to be there, until about a week ago. I'm so used to that 4 - 4.5 hour drive to ATL, that it isn't even funny. I treat that drive like a Tour de France time trial.

And for you people coming from the suburbs north of Atlanta . . . if you want to avoid heavy traffic, get off on I-75 at the Northside Dr exit, and go all the way into ATL until you reach Marietta St. Take that left on Marietta St, which will lead you straight to the CNN Center. There will be plenty of places to park in parking lots or in hotel parking garages for $5 - $15. I have no problem getting to the Arena, when I travel this route. And it definitely helps when I'm running late.

As for Barkley's comment . . . keep telling the truth. The Metro Atlanta Hawk fans that love this team, definitely need to show up tomorrow night.

Northside is great, but DO NOT turn left on Marietta. The cops hold up traffic there and that will slow you down. Stay on Northside and turn left right after the GA Dome and go underneath the street and park down below Phillips. I have been doing it for years and I can get to the Arena in 20 mins from Marietta.

Barkley is a joke, and the mainstream sports media is also a joke, when it comes to this issue.

Frankly, the "Atlanta has bad fans" meme is so tiresome. I believe there's an interesting story to report (demographics, history of racism, poor transportation infrastructure compared to other cities) but it's easier for lazy sportswriters/casters to go "lolz Atlanta fanz r so bad." It's a good reminder of why most sports journalists aren't real journalists that, you know, investigate and report on things.

• Premium Member

Barkley is a joke, and the mainstream sports media is also a joke, when it comes to this issue.

Frankly, the "Atlanta has bad fans" meme is so tiresome.  I believe there's an interesting story to report (demographics, history of racism, poor transportation infrastructure compared to other cities) but it's easier for lazy sportswriters/casters to go "lolz Atlanta fanz r so bad."  It's a good reminder of why most sports journalists aren't real journalists that, you know, investigate and report on things.

Almost as lazy as internet users using the word "meme."  Sorry, couldn't resist...

In all seriousness, there are many NBA cities with obstacles to attendance.  Atlanta fans have no great excuse.  They're just cheap/lazy.  That's not exactly newsworthy...

• Premium Member

Almost as lazy as internet users using the word "meme."  Sorry, couldn't resist...

In all seriousness, there are many NBA cities with obstacles to attendance.  Atlanta fans have no great excuse.  They're just cheap/lazy.  That's not exactly newsworthy...

There is just no passion whatsoever about the teams up in Atlanta. Everyone complains about everything. When the Braves were the jewel of the National League everyone dogged on them for not winning more than one world series. Forget the fact they set an MLB record with division title. Now that the Hawks are good fans complain that they weren't good before so they don't deserve the support, that it is too much of a hassle to go watch the team play due to transport and traffic, and god knows what else. The year the Falcons made it to the superbowl it took around four games for everyon to get excited about the team. Despite the fact that the ineptness of the Falcons was(is) historic and way, way, way worse than the Hawks everyone was onboard. I don't know why it is unrealistic to expect the same for our basketball team. We have made the playoffs each of the last two years and have been playing good/great basketball for a while. I'm not saying we should expect Boston like crowds, but at least having more than 1/3 of the seats filled by tip off during weekend games seems like a reasonable expectation.

If i wanted to fill up the arena. I would do some type of promotion. Like today would be get there 20mins before tip off with an all red shirt or Alternate jersey and get refunded parking or get free hotdogs and sodas per person or something.

I guess sometimes you have to hustle to get the fans there also. Bump spending money on TV save that put that towards something else to get the fans there. I could think of this stuff all day.

Just thought of this one...A Hawks party bus. Oh yeah buddy. Pick about 5 locations around metro Atlanta and the burbs. Fans on the party bus get free food and free give aways. Party bus will have you at Phillips 30 mins before game time and will leave 30 minutes after the game.

On certain nights you could have like a Hawks player on one of the buses like a suprise that would be awesome. Just imagine going to hop on the party bus and J Smoove, JJ, Horf, or Teague was already on the bus greeting the fans.

Edited by tonegully