• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

HAHAHAHAHA

mattlanta

It's the same old Hawks!!! Oh but that was our only loss at home this year! I thought the home crowd is supposed to give players energy? I see NO ONE playing with energy on this team. After the second half, Woodson must have fed the team some turkey because this is definitely not a playoff contending team. We are NOT perimeter shooters. There's a reason why we are league leaders in points scored in the paint. When we just toss that away we are just a mediocre team. Sure Dwight Howard is a game changer, but is that what this team really boilds down to? A bunch of players who will just keep clearing every one out and playing one vs. one basketball? Pathetic. Woodson sucks as a coach. He is a fluke. This kind of performance is inexcusable. happy thanksgiving, hawks fans.

i like how we're getting owned by no bodies... jj redick, anthony johnson, LMAO

• Like 2

It's the same old Hawks!!! Oh but that was our only loss at home this year! I thought the home crowd is supposed to give players energy? I see NO ONE playing with energy on this team. After the second half, Woodson must have fed the team some turkey because this is definitely not a playoff contending team. We are NOT perimeter shooters. There's a reason why we are league leaders in points scored in the paint. When we just toss that away we are just a mediocre team. Sure Dwight Howard is a game changer, but is that what this team really boilds down to? A bunch of players who will just keep clearing every one out and playing one vs. one basketball? Pathetic. Woodson sucks as a coach. He is a fluke. This kind of performance is inexcusable. happy thanksgiving, hawks fans.

I don't get this team. Up 13 at one point, but end up loosing by 17 points. There's something wrong with this team and it's not the players. Woody needs to just leave town.

Smith and Horford doesn't have a low post game so if they're not getting easy baskets(put backs and transition) the hawks are all perimeter. The Hawks will remain a joke until they get a real low post player. You can't have two guys with no offense.

Smith and Horford doesn't have a low post game so if they're not getting easy baskets(put backs and transition) the hawks are all perimeter. The Hawks will remain a joke until they get a real low post player. You can't have two guys with no offense.

RMJ here is my problem with Woodson offense.It is all perimeter oriented. Josh and Al do have post up games. They just don't get enough touches every night to remain consistent. This falls under Woody's over reliance on Bibby and JJ but not completely developing Marv, Josh, and Al. These guys have flashed their offensive repertoire before. Since Al Horfords first game this season, he has attempted less shots and has returned to being just another big to crash the boards. We have seen Josh smith have beat his man in the post several times last season especially against playoff teams like cleveland and Miami. I remember LeBron stating they need to take the ball out of Smoove's hands during halftime of game 1 last season. Smoove was our only offense in that game and the reason why the game wasn't a blowout. Can you guys take a guess how many more attempts Smoove got in the 2nd half? 3...that's right 3. The Cavs defense had nothing to do with it. It was Woody calling plays only for JJ and flip the rest of the way.

We need a coach like Fratello that will bring invaluable experience and knowledge to these young guys that will help them take their game to another level by becoming complete players. Josh and Al are more than put back guys. I don't understand how they have an offensive explosion one game and barely have enough fg attempts the next game. Just like with the development of Teague, giving the young guys consistent mins and touches even during their off nights allows them to get more comfortable shoudlering the offensive load.

I don't get this team. Up 13 at one point, but end up loosing by 17 points. There's something wrong with this team and it's not the players. Woody needs to just leave town.

Yeah there's nothing wrong with the players, in fact I'd bet that with a good coach they'd never make the same mistakes that they make now and would probably go 82-0. Where do I sign up to get Woody replaced?

1,937 is alot of post for a Hawks a hater. You seemed much happier in previous years when we won less.

Its crazy what winning does to Atlantans. I think this is the strangest city on earth............full of haters.

1,937 is alot of post for a Hawks a hater. You seemed much happier in previous years when we won less.

Its crazy what winning does to Atlantans. I think this is the strangest city on earth............full of haters.

It's strange, isn't it? Dol, that's why I say what I say on this board. Someone has to counteract all of the extreme reaction and paranoia on this board.

When we win, we're this championship caliber team in which all credit goes to the players. When we lose, we're the worst team in the league in which all blame goes to the coach.

At 12 - 4, people should be jumping for joy around here. But some of these guys are so used to complaining about everything so much, that they can't even enjoy the fact that we're one of the top teams in the NBA.

Our losses are against

- the Lakers ( huge athletic frontline + best player in NBA ),

- the Magic ( dominant defensive center + 3pt shooters all over the place ),

- the Bobcats ( after having to travel from the extreme west coast to the east coast to play them )

- and to the Hornets ( in what was simply a bad loss ).

We have a .750 winning percentage, which would put us on pace to win 62 games ( easily the best in franchise history ), and people STILL aren't happy?

LOL

Seriously . . . what's the problem?

• Like 1

It's strange, isn't it? Dol, that's why I say what I say on this board. Someone has to counteract all of the extreme reaction and paranoia on this board.

When we win, we're this championship caliber team in which all credit goes to the players. When we lose, we're the worst team in the league in which all blame goes to the coach.

At 12 - 4, people should be jumping for joy around here. But some of these guys are so used to complaining about everything so much, that they can't even enjoy the fact that we're one of the top teams in the NBA.

Our losses are against

- the Bobcats ( after having to travel from the extreme west coast to the east coast to play them )

We have a .750 winning percentage, which would put us on pace to win 62 games ( easily the best in franchise history ), and people STILL aren't happy?

LOL

I doubt that we're unique in complaining about our team even when we're among the best. I never visit Lakers or Magic forums but I'd bet they are more active after losses and have a lot to complain about, perhaps even about their head coaches. But you're right that people should be a lot more excited about this team than they are right now.

• Premium Member

Our losses are against

LOL

You must be hiding under a rock if you don't think there are people who take the reverse tack - they say it's to Woodson's credit that the Hawks win with such a pitiful roster, and because of the shortcomings of the players when the team loses. And you also obviously don't check other teams' message boards if you think that mentality is confined to Atlanta. It's the same with pretty much everyone in the universe of sports fans - it's because of their most-favoreds when their team wins, and because of their least-favoreds when they lose.

Edited by niremetal

I doubt that we're unique in complaining about our team even when we're among the best. I never visit Lakers or Magic forums but I'd bet they are more active after losses and have a lot to complain about, perhaps even about their head coaches. But you're right that people should be a lot more excited about this team than they are right now.

You're probably right on that. But at least those teams and fan bases are used to winning, and pretty much expect their team to play at a high level every night. Some Laker fans are probably not happy at all about them being 11 - 3, which sounds crazy, but is probably true. Our fans, however, should be giddy as hell for being 12 - 4, with a shot of being 13 - 4 by Sunday night. All those years of losing, and some of our fans just can't get the complaining out of their system and enjoy the ride.

The Blazers are a good team. I call them our "twin brother" team in the West. But I watched the Blazers - Grizzlies game last night, and Portland looked a lot like we did in the first half of that game. Memphis . . I repeat . . Memphis at one point went on a 21 - 0 run, which they extended to a 33 - 4 run.

33 - 4 run . . . lol.

That team hadn't lost at home since we beat them there, but Memphis came in and straight up punked them. Interesting read right here.

http://www.blazersedge.com/2009/11/28/1176591/game-18-recap-blazers-96-memphis

It's just the nature of the NBA. You can't win every game. And sometimes, you'll look really bad in losing.

Edited by northcyde

Welll..its not that i'm not a fan, its just that i'm not a fan of SORRY A$$ play and thats what we had in the 2nd half of the Orlando game. Call it whatever you want but i will not make excuses for this bunch. If they play like crap, it is gonna make me form an opinion. I think the problem with Atlanta fans is that they are hungry . Not for a 50 win season. Not for making the playoffs. Not for making it past the second round of the playoffs. Atlanta fans are hungry for a championship. Thats why this team has been a tough sale so far. We go up to Boston and win a big game. People think we are on our way to something big...then you flop in a big National TV game and you think...This team can't win a championship. It makes fans take a step back into that proceed with caution mode. Maybe if we had played halfway decent against the Magic, i would have felt different. Problem is we got embarassed on National TV and i'm sure the Hawks lost some of their growing fanbase after that game. I have watched the Hawks since the days of Roundfield and Drew. I have seen us lose as bad as you can lose. When you have watched that much BB, you kind of get the sense of how good a team can be. I think this team is to perimeter oriented and loses focus sometimes. I also think we will be lucky to match last years win total. I think this team thinks it can compete with the Celtics. I think this team walks into the building waiting to lose against the Cavs and Magic. I hope they prove me wrong.

RMJ here is my problem with Woodson offense.It is all perimeter oriented. Josh and Al do have post up games. They just don't get enough touches every night to remain consistent. This falls under Woody's over reliance on Bibby and JJ but not completely developing Marv, Josh, and Al. These guys have flashed their offensive repertoire before. Since Al Horfords first game this season, he has attempted less shots and has returned to being just another big to crash the boards. We have seen Josh smith have beat his man in the post several times last season especially against playoff teams like cleveland and Miami. I remember LeBron stating they need to take the ball out of Smoove's hands during halftime of game 1 last season. Smoove was our only offense in that game and the reason why the game wasn't a blowout. Can you guys take a guess how many more attempts Smoove got in the 2nd half? 3...that's right 3. The Cavs defense had nothing to do with it. It was Woody calling plays only for JJ and flip the rest of the way.

We need a coach like Fratello that will bring invaluable experience and knowledge to these young guys that will help them take their game to another level by becoming complete players. Josh and Al are more than put back guys. I don't understand how they have an offensive explosion one game and barely have enough fg attempts the next game. Just like with the development of Teague, giving the young guys consistent mins and touches even during their off nights allows them to get more comfortable shoudlering the offensive load.

lol i agree witcha here i say we run phoenix style of offense anyone agree also someone tell me why we signed jason collins he doesnt play when he should have against orlando against dwight howard and mike woodson doesnt not know what hes doing i bileve he just tells them " okay we gotta give it to whoevers hot if we wanna win this game or he says just try to find some ryhthm and shoot.

NEW COACH PLEASE THERES a reason hes noT IN THE TOP 5 FOR NBA COACHES OF THE YEAR ON ESPN.COM

lol i agree witcha here i say we run phoenix style of offense anyone agree also someone tell me why we signed jason collins he doesnt play when he should have against orlando against dwight howard and mike woodson doesnt not know what hes doing i bileve he just tells them " okay we gotta give it to whoevers hot if we wanna win this game or he says just try to find some ryhthm and shoot.

NEW COACH PLEASE THERES a reason hes noT IN THE TOP 5 FOR NBA COACHES OF THE YEAR ON ESPN.COM

What's up Chaze, thanks for adding me to your friend list. I am still trying to get used to being a hawksquawk member and learning how to use all the features man. Did you watch the Philly game? The most suprising move of the night is Woody sitting down a cold JJ for the rest of the game. This is something Woody never did in the years past. Maybe Woody is turning the corner as well. I will get a better evaluation of him once we get to the all-star break.

I loved the way Bibby runs those pick rolls with Horf and Smoove. It gets everyone involved and helps us look more like a complete team. I just wonder why JJ has never developed his pick n roll skills like jamal and Bibby? He would be more of a beast than he is now. This is the only part of JJ's game he has to master. He will become harder to defend and make the iso joe much more potent. He doesn't pass well out of those hard traps to the right person. They normally get deflected or stolen unless the open guy is in a clear path for him to make the pass. He dribbles out of them too much allowing the defense to reset. Hopefully Bibby can teach him as the season progresses.

jason collins doesn't play because he might the worst vet in the NBA. he's garbage...signing him was a mistake, but playing him would be worse. if he can't play in minnesota, why should he play here?

as for ATL fans being hungry for a title...let's be rational before we start crying about the Hawks not being a championship dynasty. we won 13 games 5 years ago. 13. 13. 13.

it takes time for these things to happen, especially since we had one of the worst GMs in the game for that stretch. the Hawks are good now. enjoy it or jump on someone else's bandwagon.

You must be hiding under a rock if you don't think there are people who take the reverse tack - they say it's to Woodson's credit that the Hawks win with such a pitiful roster, and because of the shortcomings of the players when the team loses. And you also obviously don't check other teams' message boards if you think that mentality is confined to Atlanta. It's the same with pretty much everyone in the universe of sports fans - it's because of their most-favoreds when their team wins, and because of their least-favoreds when they lose.

I know it's not confined to Atlanta . . but I can definitely say that, in my opinion, it is worse here, than on most other message boards with fans of winning teams. I've never seen a segment of a fan base so filled with doom and gloom, that's winning as many games as we are, as with what you see here, and especially on the AJC blogs.

See, I guess I come from a different perspective, because I'm not only an Atlanta Hawk fan . . I'm a Cincinnati Bengals fan as well. So while last week's lost @ Oakland was horrible, the Bengals are still 7 - 3. I think that team has been 7 - 3 twice in the past 20 seasons.

TWICE.

So I'm pretty damn happy that my football team is leading the division by a game, and has control of its own destiny to get that #2 seed in the AFC.

Now if I'd take the mentality of some of our fans, I should be pizzed that we didn't beat Oakland, which proves that we're simply a pretender team, and that we need to fire Marvin Lewis . . and trade Chad Johnson . . and cuss out Carson Palmer, for losing to such a pathetic team like the Raiders. There are Bengal fans who feel like that. But they are far and few between. They know that the Bengals may not be able to get to the Super Bowl, but we're going to be right there in the mix ( hopefully ) when playoff time comes around.

I guess me, and some of the others on this site are just different. The only thing the Orlando loss said to me, is that we have a problem handling Orlando. It doesn't lessen my faith in this team one bit, just because the fan base felt embarrassed by a national TV loss. It doesn't reduce the fact that this team ( if it stays relatively healthy ), should win 50+ games this season.

Keep in mind, this was the sentiment when the Magic blew us out in a PRESEASON game . . that the sky was going to fall on the Hawks. Then we win 11 out of 14, and people weren't even mentioning the preseason loss. So we turn around, and lay another egg against the same team, and I'm supposed to believe that this team is supposed to be so devastated, that they won't be able to reach their win total of last year . . . because of this loss? Nah. I don't believe that for one bit.

The NBA season is way too long to let one loss affect a season like that. Woody and these players are way too mentally tough to let that loss affect them like that.

And if we lost fans because of that game, you know what? So be it. This team has done more than enough the past 2+ years ( especially at home . . by posting a 63 - 27 home record since the 07 - 08 season . . that's a 70% winning percentage at home )

If the fan base can only see games vs Orlando as important, but not realize that victories vs Philly on the road are just as important ( because those were the types of games we lost in the past ), then there's nothing more I can say. I'll just let some of these guys stress out, while me and the others enjoy the run we're on.

• Like 1

Welll..its not that i'm not a fan, its just that i'm not a fan of SORRY A$$ play and thats what we had in the 2nd half of the Orlando game. Call it whatever you want but i will not make excuses for this bunch. If they play like crap, it is gonna make me form an opinion. I think the problem with Atlanta fans is that they are hungry . Not for a 50 win season. Not for making the playoffs. Not for making it past the second round of the playoffs. Atlanta fans are hungry for a championship. Thats why this team has been a tough sale so far. We go up to Boston and win a big game. People think we are on our way to something big...then you flop in a big National TV game and you think...This team can't win a championship. It makes fans take a step back into that proceed with caution mode. Maybe if we had played halfway decent against the Magic, i would have felt different. Problem is we got embarassed on National TV and i'm sure the Hawks lost some of their growing fanbase after that game. I have watched the Hawks since the days of Roundfield and Drew. I have seen us lose as bad as you can lose. When you have watched that much BB, you kind of get the sense of how good a team can be. I think this team is to perimeter oriented and loses focus sometimes. I also think we will be lucky to match last years win total. I think this team thinks it can compete with the Celtics. I think this team walks into the building waiting to lose against the Cavs and Magic. I hope they prove me wrong.

Atlanta fans have proven time and time again that they'll support very good teams . . or come out to see a superstar . . but they won't support a team, simply because it's THEIR TEAM. Those types of fans are usually called bandwagon fans.

It doesn't describe people like you, or some of the other fans whose been watching this team through thick and thin. But it does describe the fan that only looks forward to seeing the Hawks vs the big name teams . . mainly because they want to see the star player of that big name team, and not the Hawks. Funny thing though, they seem to always cheer for the Hawks by the 4th quarter, mainly because the die hard fans are cheering for them.

Everybody has an opinion about the Orlando collapse. We've seen it too many times before to not have an opinion on it. But you have to look at the big picture as well. This is a long season. Wins or losses vs the big name teams, may not even matter, if we can't take care of the teams that we should beat on a nightly basis. It's those losses that will keep us from reaching 50 wins, not the losses vs Boston, Cleveland, and Orlando. In the grand scheme of things, if we'd beaten Orlando, but lost to Philly, we'd be in the same situation. We'd be 12 - 4, tops in the East. But instead of being elated about the Orlando win, and that supposedly giving us confidence, we'd be complaining about laying an egg to a then 5 - 10 Philadelphia team missing 3 starters.

We got Toronto coming in on Wednesday night. That game is just as important as the Orlando game. They're a team that is chasing us from behind. They're looking to take our spot. So if we can go out and handle them, it'll be a decent win. But in the NBA, you play so many games, that you can't get too high or too low on individual wins. The main thing in this league, is avoiding the losing streaks.

The Hawks got blown out in preseason, after starting 7 - 0 . . people predicted doom and gloom . . . Hawks go out and win first 2 games

Hawks collapse in LA . . people predicted doom and gloom . . Hawks go out and beat Portland @ Portland the next game

Hawks lose to the Bobcats in Charlotte . . people predicted doom and gloom . . Hawks go out and win 7 straight games

Hawks lose 2 straight games, including blowing the Orlando game . . people freak out a little over the loss . . Hawks go to Philly and win.

This team is mentally tough. Just because the fans aren't convinced that they're real good, doesn't mean that the team doesn't believe that they're real good.

I guess the Hawks need to be 24 - 7 by Jan 1st, to finally convince people.

Then again, we play Cleveland the last 2 games of the year (2009). So if we lose those 2 games, but still have the same record, I guess the despair will come back to the board.

Hawks fans shouldn't even be thinking about "championship", until March or April ( if we're in a legit position to get one of the top 2 seeds in the East ).

Edited by northcyde

• Moderators

I just don't understand why its so upsetting to talk about the teams problems. Isn't that what this board is all about. Its for fans who want to talk about the intricacies of the game and not just type 'boy Al is dreamy' all day long.

We are a very good team which is a major accomplishment by this organization. Especially considering we did it at reasoable salaries for an nba team. We have a good record so far but I think the more educated fan base can already see the same screw ups that have plagued us in the past: not using the bench, live and die by the guards shooting jumpers, poor rebounding. When you see these same problems happening again and again and again, whether you believe its the players or the coaches or both, its hard to just be content that we have a good record so far and not say anything. We've lost 3 of 4 with two losses to sub .500 teams. Detroit was missing 3 of their best players. This is officially a slide that fans in Boston, San Antonio, LA, and Cleveland would be freaking about. Those who aren't concerned have low expectations.