• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Worst three words in team sports: Players only meeting

HawkItus

I'm sorry, but any feelings of hope just took a severe hit. Toronto and New York are the type of teams to have player only meetings. If we are 21-12 and already the players want to do discuss things without the coaches, it must be worse than we thought.

• Premium Member

These things can turn things around and result in good things. Reading the comments below:

"In the midst of a four-game losing streak, the Hawks held a players-only meeting on Tuesday.

"It was just guys talking about what we need to do," forward Marvin Williams said. "It was all positive, all positive things."

Atlanta is 21-12, the fourth-best record in the Eastern Conference, but they haven't played well as of late. The players pointed out defense as a top priority.

"It's just a lack of effort," said center Al Horford. "People have to make the extra rotation, the extra offense. It has something to do with offense. If guys are not making shots, they tend to get a little discouraged. We still have to defend and rebound to give ourselves a chance to be in the game."

Guard Joe Johnson said the team has "just get back to playing with intensity, having fun. That's pretty much the difference. It seems as if we're just kind of out there, just going through the motions.""

It sounds as if the guys are saying what we have been saying here: lack of effort on both ends, lack of offensive rotation and not playing with enough intensity.

Shouldn't this team be done with this phase? I mean they should know the formula for winning now. Joe said "just get back to playing with intensity, having fun. That's pretty much the difference. It seems as if we're just kind of out there, just going through the motions."" I mean cmon these guys have been in the leaugue long enough to already know that.

• Moderators

Its fine. There's a difference between knowing what to do and realizing you're not doing it. They seem to mostly be friends off the court so no one is getting in any faces. Woody is like their Dad. I'm sure he's saying 'you've got to rebound the ball' over and over again but it has more impact when one of your friends tells you. That's the only alternative to having a Kobe, Pierce, Garnett personality who will embarrass you on the court for slacking off. Of course that method has a faster turnaround.

• Premium Member

We are too grown for excuses and inexcusable losses. This is what separates us from the better teams. If we expect to be one of the top teams in the East, then we have to stop with all the excuses and whatnot and get the job done. I respect that they want to have a players only meeting, but we're beyond that. We are at a point where...and I can't believe I'm saying this...but Mike Woodson needs to pull these guys out of this. This is his job and so far this year, he has been doing great at it. Yes, I have been a critic of Mike Woodson and his offense for years now. Probably one of the loudest and most hardened. But even I have to admit that the man is doing his job. We have come out and put up a decent record under him this season. Save for this fumble, we have been playing GREAT basketball. It's hard to complain when you're one of the best teams in the league.

Tied for 6th actually and only a few games behind the "Elite 3" (rolleyes.gif) of the east...

All teams go through slumps. All teams have those "why the hell did we lose to them!?!?" games. The best teams shake it off and go out and take care of business. They have a gameplan and they stick to it. Mike Woodson is in charge of that gameplan for us. If guys aren't doing what they're supposed to be doing, it's his job to point it out to them and it's the player's job to accept that. The only guys who have any say-so otherwise in my opinion are JJ and Bibby.

In short. If we want to take it to the next level: shut up, defend, know your role, and play ball the way you did to get to this point.

...screw these players only meetings. Woodson needs to get control of this team.

I don't think it's a big deal. It's a shame that we may need, or benefit, from a player's only meeting....but in the course of 82 games, slumps happen. It's a positive thing that they know they shouldn't be losing 4 games in a row, and are trying to do something about it. Also, it holds some players more accountable. It's not just the coaches chewing on them. Knowing your teammates know who's making the mistakes or being lazy has a different feel than just the coaches.

• Premium Member

I don't think it's a big deal. It's a shame that we may need, or benefit, from a player's only meeting....but in the course of 82 games, slumps happen. It's a positive thing that they know they shouldn't be losing 4 games in a row, and are trying to do something about it. Also, it holds some players more accountable. It's not just the coaches chewing on them. Knowing your teammates know who's making the mistakes or being lazy has a different feel than just the coaches.

I agree Buck...but at the same time, I feel like that's the sort of thing that needs to happen during the game - on the court, on the bench, and in the locker room. The leaders of your team need to call guys out before you lose the game. I just don't see the need for them to sit down and hold each other's hands when everyone should know their role and the gameplan by now. Just get it done already so we can continue to enjoy having one of the better teams in the league.

I agree Buck...but at the same time, I feel like that's the sort of thing that needs to happen during the game - on the court, on the bench, and in the locker room. The leaders of your team need to call guys out before you lose the game. I just don't see the need for them to sit down and hold each other's hands when everyone should know their role and the gameplan by now. Just get it done already so we can continue to enjoy having one of the better teams in the league.

True that. Especially guys that have been playing together as long as they have. Their roles should be defined, I totally agree. We still don't have that vocal leader during the games and in the huddle though. Bibby shows flashes, but his leadership is more X's and O's. Horf has been getting better, and he's been more open in the media. The ideal guy for this job is JJ...he's the all-star...he's the player other teams prepare for.

I disagree- the worst words for a sports team are "vote of confidence"

For a coach? Yeah.

But, honestly when is the last time you heard a legit contender have a players only meeting? They don't, because they don't have a leadership void. See a really good team either has a player who will take it upon himself to will his team to compete or a coach who will do the work and motivation to achieve success. We get a coach who doesn't change the lineup or play different combo's in games. And max player who can't will the team to be better than it's sum of parts.

I believe the Colts held a players only meeting a few days ago- I really don't think its a big deal at all. When you think that all that needs to change is more effort and paying more attention then I think a players only meeting is the way to go. So much of this stuff should be taken care of internally. I don't have at all have a problem wtih players wanting to make other players take accountability- I did the exact same thing when I was the captain of my team in college.

Meanwhile a vote of confidence means that the team really is in a tailspin and there is little that can pull the team out. To me thats really when a team is in trouble. If the Hawks come out in a few days and give Woodson a vote of confidence then I'll start to worry about this team.

Edited by spotatl

• Premium Member

For a coach? Yeah.

But, honestly when is the last time you heard a legit contender have a players only meeting? They don't, because they don't have a leadership void. See a really good team either has a player who will take it upon himself to will his team to compete or a coach who will do the work and motivation to achieve success. We get a coach who doesn't change the lineup or play different combo's in games. And max player who can't will the team to be better than it's sum of parts.

There have been all kinds of championship teams that had players only meetings. Not just in the NBA. I know the Yankees have had them, the Red Sox had some, the Steelers had some, back in the 70's and 80's many NFL teams that went on to win rings had one. It is not as uncommon as people think. I don't think its that big of a deal as long as the issues are resolved.

I believe the Colts held a players only meeting a few days ago- I really don't think its a big deal at all. When you think that all that needs to change is more effort and paying more attention then I think a players only meeting is the way to go. So much of this stuff should be taken care of internally. I don't have at all have a problem wtih players wanting to make other players take accountability- I did the exact same thing when I was the captain of my team in college.

Meanwhile a vote of confidence means that the team really is in a tailspin and there is little that can pull the team out. To me thats really when a team is in trouble. If the Hawks come out in a few days and give Woodson a vote of confidence then I'll start to worry about this team.

If that's true let's see how that works out for the Colts.