• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Must read: Embedded with the Hawks

jerrywest

Man that is probably the best basketball article that I've ever read, thank you for posting that and thanks to Lang for writing it and to the Hawks for allowing it.

My favorite part ...

“Guys, great win,” Woodson rasped. “Remember what I said? You can win playing defense! We struggled with the offense but your defense was terrific.” “The shit works!” blurted out Teague, cracking up the entire room.

“That’s right, it does, it works,” Woodson said, smiling. “Alright guys, let’s get home. You’ve got tomorrow off, and then we’ll come back in on Monday and get back to work. No more let ups, guys!”

“No excuses!” yelled Horford.

“No sir, no excuses, guys,” Woodson said. “Oh, and guys, today is Josh Smith’s birthday. Jeff Teague, get up here and sing Happy Birthday, rook.”

The room erupted in applause, and Teague, shirtless, stood and launched into a surprisingly rousing rendition of the Stevie Wonder version of “Happy Birthday,” as the players all clapped along. “Do the stanky leg!” Woodson yelled, and the room dissolved into laughter.

And the part that the Woody haters will love ...

“This team has a chance to do something special if you believe in each other,” Woodson said. “If you feel like what we’re trying to do on the court isn’t going to work, speak up! I have zero ego as a coach, none. If you think you see something that’s going to work better than what we’re trying to do, speak up! Say something to me! But what I’m telling you guys is that if you guys will just consistently do what we’re asking you to do on defense, we’ll win games. I don’t give a shit about the offense; you guys can score more than enough points to win games. The offense isn’t the problem. But you have to get stops on defense, and if you’ll listen to what we’re telling you, I promise you’ll get stops. The shit works, okay? The shit works, but you guys just have to have the pride and the heart to buy into it and do what we’re asking you to do every time down the court.”

The Teague thing made me lose it. THE ISH WORKS!

And then Horford doing his Zaza impression, "No EXCUSES!"

And finally, we are reminded that Woodson really doesn't care about defense. But at least he preaches defense until he is blue in the face...they just have to listen. Because you know what?

THE ISH WORKS!

I can't imagine anyone being surprised by the fact we don't prepare at all offensively.

If it's true that we don't ever prepare offensively then I think that is a bit of a shock as I could have never imagined a team not practicing offense. I wonder if there are other teams that follow this same strategy or about teams in the past that have done this, perhaps the Pistons and maybe some of Bobby Knight's old teams where Woody could have picked this idea up at.

Well obviously we prepare, because he drew up plays according to Lang. So if he drew up plays and the team was expected to follow them then we know they had to practice the play at some point. Like that game showed however offense can come and go. But, defense is a constant.

Well obviously we prepare, because he drew up plays according to Lang. So if he drew up plays and the team was expected to follow them then we know they had to practice the play at some point. Like that game showed however offense can come and go. But, defense is a constant.

We avg about 103 pts a game, without "givin a s***" about offense. The only team that avgs more in the East is Tor and the give up 2 pts more than they score.

So maybe Woodson is right if you play D like I want you to, then that 100 pt avg is more than enough to win games. Who cares how we score 100?

• Premium Member

We avg about 103 pts a game, without "givin a s***" about offense. The only team that avgs more in the East is Tor and the give up 2 pts more than they score.

So maybe Woodson is right if you play D like I want you to, then that 100 pt avg is more than enough to win games. Who cares how we score 100?

Uh, I do? Anyone who wants this team to win should?

It blows me away Woodson apparently has no interest in offense. This guy should stick to being an assistant coach. Our offense goes into Iso Joe far too much esp. in the playoffs and it has killed us. We need more than that. Any team needs more than that. Where is Mike Fratello when you need him?

When you read things like this it makes you realize that some of it is more complex than you realize. I would guess Woody is a nice guy and that's why the players like him and all of that, but his line about not giving a shyt about offense is partly enough reason not to bring him back.

Until we get to the point where we're not improving under him I am willing to give his theory about offense taking care of itself a chance because I'm assuming that he didn't come up with it and that they must have used that philosophy in Detroit and perhaps back when he was at Indiana as well. Honestly I think that our offense would look a lot better if we had a guy like Rip in his prime who constantly moved without the ball and I'm wondering if that's just something he did on his own or if he was coached to do it.

• Moderators

Honestly I think that our offense would look a lot better if we had a guy like Rip in his prime who constantly moved without the ball and I'm wondering if that's just something he did on his own or if he was coached to do it.

Nobody could do that in our offense. You need some structure to run people off screens for open j's like Rip got in his prime. An iso system doesn't lend itself to that kind of off-the-ball movement because you end up drawing defenders who can help near the guy you are trying to isolate. I agree that it would be nice to try to run some catch and shoot, screens, etc.

Thanks for posting the article!

Until we get to the point where we're not improving under him I am willing to give his theory about offense taking care of itself a chance because I'm assuming that he didn't come up with it and that they must have used that philosophy in Detroit and perhaps back when he was at Indiana as well. Honestly I think that our offense would look a lot better if we had a guy like Rip in his prime who constantly moved without the ball and I'm wondering if that's just something he did on his own or if he was coached to do it.

Detroit was a good team, but I don't remember them playing that great in the playoffs before they played the Lakers. The east was weak, and Detroit faced the right team in the finals at the right time. They have shown to be the exception the last 20 years and not the rule. Not even close. More importantly, this team isn't anywhere near as good as Detroit was on the defensive end. Not even close.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

GREAT READ - - ALL OF IT !!

We can't have everything. We should know that. You take what you have and make the most of it.

Woody doesn't worry about offense. We've known that for a long time, haven't we.

Bibby is the Hawks offense leader. He is the head coach of our offense. Remember,

when he came here, Woody said, whatever Bibby wanted to do with the ofense, then

the Hawks would do that.

We can't afford to lose Bibby. If he has an injury, he will still be around, coaching the others.

Remember the offense we ran before Bibby? You think it's bad now? It was much worse then.

Forget those "Trade Bibby ideas." If he leaves, who would coach the offense? No one, that's who.

Woody preaches defense. Constantly. This stuff works, as Woody almost said. Getting stops

and turnovers means extra chances to score. Fast breaks! Yeah!!

Personally, everyone knows what the real sore spot is with me. Missed free throws! They count too.

Those down the stretch, they really look at. But, those hit or missed earlier in the game count just

as much as those late in the 4th quarter. They may not be as dramatic, but, dang it, they count.

So, Hit those free throws!!

Again - Great Read. Thanks for finding and posting.

:conversation:

• Like 1

Detroit was a good team, but I don't remember them playing that great in the playoffs before they played the Lakers. The east was weak, and Detroit faced the right team in the finals at the right time. They have shown to be the exception the last 20 years and not the rule. Not even close. More importantly, this team isn't anywhere near as good as Detroit was on the defensive end. Not even close.

They weren't a fluke team though, I believe they went to the Eastern Conference Finals what 4-5 years in a row? No we're nowhere near as good as the Pistons are defensively but we're also a lot more talented offensively than they were. The formula should still be the same though, play good defense, rebound the ball, and be willing to make the extra pass on offense.