• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Al Horford's career getting hurt (IMHO)

DJlaysitup

I really think the guy who has the talent and the potential to be a great PF in this league (on our team) is Al Horford. We are working him like a rented mule. Plus, he is simply not getting the ball inside enough. He has shown improvement with the short jump shot and the inside moves (a bit) and is a great FT shooter - yet - we just continue to be 70% perimeter on offense. In a better setting, I think Al would be an up-and-coming PF who would be looked at as a potential all-star next year, or the next. Playing a guy out of position for need is one thing. Playing a guy out of position who has the potential to be an all-star at his natural position is a different story altogether.

Even if we have to play Al at center - at least feed him the ball when the three-jackers/fade-awayers are missing. He needs gametime looks and he is a very good FT shooter. Al must have the patience of Jobe. He and Smoove are excellent offensive rebounders..only to pass the ball back out and see an immediate shot without a play setup for the new shot clock.

I understand that the 3-ball has changed the way the game is played - but still - taking it inside is still a great %age option. Most of the good passes to Al are by Smoove.

I know I'm just preaching. We have the players that we have and our perimeter guys are our bread and butter right now. We aren't going to get a dominant PG like Chauncey Billups anytime soon...so we are what we are. Still, going inside late in a close game beats doing crazy shots over the long haul. I'm not talking about the last 10 seconds of a close game - I'm talking about the last 5 minutes of a close game. Sure, if it's desperation time you just Jack the three. But it may not have to be desperation time if you go inside earlier.kickcan.gif

We should try to get him more shots but Woodson doesn't even coach an offense. I'm not surprised that the ballhandlers decided to shoot jump shots instead of getting the bigs involved down low as a result.

Yep Soth...If I were Smoove or Horford, I would call a team meeting after this game.

• Premium Member

Yep Soth...If I were Smoove or Horford, I would call a team meeting after this game.

Team meeting won't make a difference unless Woody gets on board. JJ and Jamal are shooting guards - they are scorers, not playmakers. If you give them the ball without instructions, you shouldn't be shocked if they take a shot instead of passing.

As long as we have a coach who "don’t give a sh*t about the offense," you can't expect JJ or Jamal to play like point guards.

Edited by niremetal

I agree 100%, we just need more STRUCTURE and STRATEGY on offense. Woody just tells Bibby, Joe, and Craw to go out there a make things happen it seems. Bibby is the only one who understands what to with the rock though, Craw could be a playmaker if he wasnt told to be a scorer.

It is coaching pure and simple. It isn't just a lack of touches either. I have to wonder what, if anything, the coaches are telling him. He is quick enough to beat almost anyone he faces off the dribble but he hardly ever does it in the half court. When was the last time he threw up a pump fake?

This probably sounds bad but if i was coaching him I have no doubt he would be averaging over 15 per game.

I was thinking the same thing on Friday. The guy works the hardest of anybody on the team, because he is matched up with people 4 inchs taller them him. He has shown he can get buckets. If he is going to work his tale off, at least get the guy the ball...even without the touches he is still a beast.

• Moderators

I have said many times that I think Al could play a bigger role in a non-iso offense with some structure. I agree with many of the comments on this thread. I don't think Horford will ever be an offensive dynamo ala Karl Malone, but he can do more and do it very efficiently.

• Premium Member

Questionable shot selection is hurting the whole team (esp. late in games). Woody has to get Joe and Crawford to drive more to get the cheap "Chauncey Billups" type points.

I don't think it's that Woody is not telling these guys to drive. They're not listening! I watched Woody telling his guys to drive after a timeout yesterday. After the timeout Bibby shot and missed a three with 15 secs left on the clock. I think Woody will have to sit players that refuse to play by his rules.