• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Teague's Terrible Shooting - Why? He could shoot in college.

AHF

• Moderators

What do people think is the reason for Teague's terrible shooting in the NBA? He seems to be really struggling even with open shots when during his sophmore season he hit 44% of his 3pt attempts (shooting more than 3 per game). That is a 66% efg% on his sophmore 3pt attempts. In the NBA, Teague has a 31% eFG% on all jumpers and a 30% efg% on 3pt shots.

Unless Teague is just getting a lot more attention from the defense, hitting a shot shouldn't differ so much. At least with the interior shots, the lane is more crowded in the NBA than in college due to the superior size and athleticism of bigs. That doesn't really apply so much on the open jumpers he has clanked. Any thoughts on this?

Terrible shooting is contagious and he plays and practices with the other Hawks players. If the Hawks aren't the worst shooting team in the NBA then tell me who is. I'm talking about shooting, as in outside the lanes. The Hawks are athletic and at their best in the paint. But we don't have any shooters and that annoys the crap out of me. Crawford and Johnson and not always them. They are too streaky. The rest of the team just flat out can't shoot. Oh, Horford from 15 is the best we have. I'll take Horford shooting from 15 over any player on the roster shooting from anywhere.

What do people think is the reason for Teague's terrible shooting in the NBA? He seems to be really struggling even with open shots when during his sophmore season he hit 44% of his 3pt attempts (shooting more than 3 per game). That is a 66% efg% on his sophmore 3pt attempts. In the NBA, Teague has a 31% eFG% on all jumpers and a 30% efg% on 3pt shots.

Unless Teague is just getting a lot more attention from the defense, hitting a shot shouldn't differ so much. At least with the interior shots, the lane is more crowded in the NBA than in college due to the superior size and athleticism of bigs. That doesn't really apply so much on the open jumpers he has clanked. Any thoughts on this?

Acie shot well in his senior year. However even though i liked him when the draft came around i was still dubious about his shot. His mechanics aren't good and the same is obviously true with Teague.

There could be other factors like nerves, lack of attempts, etc but i am definitely not a fan of his shot. He is shooting 89% from the line so there is hope.

You know that the Hawks are a top 10 3 point shooting team right?

I'd say its because in College Teague had the ball in his hands and could work against players he was a far better athlete than. In the pros he is often having to operate without the ball in his hands and its an entirely new skill for him. I recall reading that he was a bad catch and shoot guy in college, but we sort of brushed it off because he wasn't doing it that often.

from draft express

Unfortunately, his merit off the dribble doesn’t translate to catch and shoot situations, as he ranks below average at 1.12 PPP on unguarded spot up jumpers, which wasn’t a huge issue for him at Wake Forest since he only took 1.2 catch and shoot jumpers per game overall. He ranks last in Pos/G in that category, and he will have to improve his ability to use those situations on the next level considering his size. Teague is very unique in this aspect, as you don’t see many players who shoot such a large percentage of their jumpers off the dribble.
Edited by spotatl

Terrible shooting is contagious and he plays and practices with the other Hawks players. If the Hawks aren't the worst shooting team in the NBA then tell me who is. I'm talking about shooting, as in outside the lanes. The Hawks are athletic and at their best in the paint. But we don't have any shooters and that annoys the crap out of me. Crawford and Johnson and not always them. They are too streaky. The rest of the team just flat out can't shoot. Oh, Horford from 15 is the best we have. I'll take Horford shooting from 15 over any player on the roster shooting from anywhere.

The Hawks are 10th in the league in 3 pt percentage and 13th in 3 pointers made. They are 12th in TS%.

I'd say its because in College Teague had the ball in his hands and could work against players he was a far better athlete than. In the pros he is often having to operate without the ball in his hands and its an entirely new skill for him. I recall reading that he was a bad catch and shoot guy in college, but we sort of brushed it off because he wasn't doing it that often.

The thing is he isn't taking many catch and shoot jumpers now. He is still making that hesitation dribble most of the time before shooting a long jumper but he is still missing.

Acie shot well in his senior year. However even though i liked him when the draft came around i was still dubious about his shot. His mechanics aren't good and the same is obviously true with Teague.

There could be other factors like nerves, lack of attempts, etc but i am definitely not a fan of his shot. He is shooting 89% from the line so there is hope.

what's the difference? What does mechanics have to do with anything when they made it work all their previous years playing? Every hoop is the same. The reason is no playing time and repitition. nobody is gonna shoot well taking like 2-5 jumpers a week

Edited by Cwell

what's the difference? What does mechanics have to do with anything when they made it work all their previous years playing? Every hoop is the same. The reason is no playing time and repitition. nobody is gonna shoot well taking like 2-5 jumpers a week

Some truth in not getting enough shots.

However, you cannot get away with low and slow shot releases in the NBA like you did in college.

Same for Law and Childress. The only time Chillz attempted a jumper was when he was wide open, spacing the floor, with all day to shoot. It took Law and Chillz and extra second to get their shot off. That is enough time for 6'7'' wing defender to rotate over to you and turn an open shot into a contested shot. In college these were 6'3'' guys rotating over to you.

Teague shot release is low and a bit slow too. Teague needs to play like Devin Harris and try to get in the paint, use his accurate floater, get to the FT line, and kick out to open shooters. Keep working with Bibby and Price on your jumper over time.

• Premium Member

I think the crew a Philips Arena is moving the goals when Teague shoots. I also think someone opening a door and letting a very strong draft in whenever he goes up for a layup. I hate to be conspiracy dude but I believe one unnamed PG is trying to run Mr. Teague off the same way he did Acie.

• Premium Member

Phillips Arena gremlins still at work. Teague had what appeared to be an easy shot and WHAMMMMM!!! Blocked again.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

It's really not that complicated. In college, the players are shorter and slower. Therefore you sometimes can get away with having a slow-release jumper with a low release point in college, even if you're 6'1. In the NBA, forget it.

It's tough to change the mechanics on his jumper at this stage in his life, but he either needs to learn to jump higher when he shoots (a la Salim) or get a higher release point (a la most players his height). Otherwise, it's hard to imagine him ever being more than a borderline rotation player.

Edited by niremetal

• Premium Member

I believe it's the system.

IN college, you are the PG you have the ball. You choose when you feel comfortable shooting. Also, you control the offense.

Our PGs rarely have the ball. We have a SG dominated Offense. When Joe is in, he's bring it up. When Craw is in, he's bring it up.

Teague has to transform himself into a catch and shoot kind of guy in our offense. That's easy for Bibby because he spent a lifetime playing with Brad Miller. However, Teague has to do it while learning to play at NBA speed. It's going to take some time.

• Like 1

• Moderators

If a rookie can come in and be the third option then its easier to find a role for him on the team. If a guy needs the ball in his hands to be successful then until he is READY its very tough to get him major minutes.

I don't think major minutes were needed here to give Teague a good chance to develop a productive role (consistency of minutes being a higher priority in that regard), but I think we are pretty close to being on the same page here.

AHF- but "a productive role" is much different Depending on what that role is. When you are talking about a Defense/Rebounding PF you can consistently get them minutes without disrupting the team. If teague were a guy who plays solid defense and could knock down open 3's then it woudl be EASY to get him minutes within the flow of the offense. But if a guy needs the ball in his hands to be successful, if he is overmatched then the offense can grind to a halt. I don't think its possible to get Teague consistent minutes if his only style of play is as primary ball handler. I think you HAVE to pick and choose his spots where you think he can still be effective in that role. (against earl boykins as an example)

• Moderators

AHF- but "a productive role" is much different Depending on what that role is. When you are talking about a Defense/Rebounding PF you can consistently get them minutes without disrupting the team. If teague were a guy who plays solid defense and could knock down open 3's then it woudl be EASY to get him minutes within the flow of the offense. But if a guy needs the ball in his hands to be successful, if he is overmatched then the offense can grind to a halt. I don't think its possible to get Teague consistent minutes if his only style of play is as primary ball handler. I think you HAVE to pick and choose his spots where you think he can still be effective in that role. (against earl boykins as an example)

I don't think you develop someone by playing them more than 5 minutes in 2 out of 9 games as has been the case for Teague over the last 9 games so we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Its hard to take his college 3pt shooting numbers seriously as he didnt shoot enough to be considered a real threat from 3 . He made his living at the ft line using his elite athleticism at the college level to get into the lane finish or draw fouls . In the NBA he cant do that because he is not gonna get those calls and just about every has athleticism to spare .He doesnt have a stop and pop game and thats why he should be attaching himself to Crawford hip. He has the first step but doesnt have the craftiness or midrange game he needs yet .

You can look at his game log from his last year at Wake and know he is gonna take a while to develop.

game log of his final year

When it comes to the Hawks, a lot of the things stats say doesn't match up with what the eyes see. The stats suggest the Hawks are a good fundamental team, but watching them suggests something else. The one on one play, don't box out, and don't shoot well. If stats and numbers are solely to be counted on, then watching the games is far less important.