• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

"Me, NBA GM... You, Sund?" Sell Marvin to Me

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

(Sorry 'bout the Tarzanesque title...)

We all have removed a hair or two from our follicles over the years watching #24's play falling persistently short of his promise. We have all our hare-brained ideas about where we'd like to ship him to (myself included). Few of us are interested in giving away a former #2 Pick for nothing of value in return.

What I'm interested in seeing is, after picking up the phone and calling a GM, what attributes would YOU use to give the impression you're doing them the favor by trading them Marvin Williams.

For this thread, I don't care about who the team is, how he's "packaged," or what we think the Hawks would want for him. Just what selling points you would use to convince me (a GM) that Marvin Williams is worth having on my NBA team.

~lw3

• Like 1

Talking to the Wolves.

"Listen- we both know you don't want to spend what it would take to pry Rudy Gay out of memphis and you need a SF in the worst way. Even more your frontcourt is already undersized so you could really use some extra length at SF, Marvin would be a great guy to play next to Love. You don't have a shotblocker so getting a strong perimeter defender is critical. You have one of the best outlet passers in basketball so you need someone who excels in transition. And with Jefferson in the middle you need a SF with range who isn't going to just clog the lane. You aren't going to find a better fit than Marvin for your team. At this point it would be a 4 year 30 million dollar deal which is reasonable for a guy who fits your team as well as he does."

Edited by spotatl
  • Like 3

• Premium Member

Talking to the Wolves.

"Listen- we both know you don't want to spend what it would take to pry Rudy Gay out of memphis and you need a SF in the worst way. Even more your frontcourt is already undersized so you could really use some extra length at SF, Marvin would be a great guy to play next to Love. You don't have a shotblocker so getting a strong perimeter defender is critical. You have one of the best outlet passers in basketball so you need someone who excels in transition. And with Jefferson in the middle you need a SF with range who isn't going to just clog the lane. You aren't going to find a better fit than Marvin for your team. At this point it would be a 4 year 30 million dollar deal which is reasonable for a guy who fits your team as well as he does."

Spot, who are you asking for in return?

The thread isn't about who to ask for in return, just about the sales pitch. Once you get into who to ask for in return the whole thread derails into a discussion of whether its a good trade or a bad trade instead of just talking about how he could fit on another team.

To golden state.

"You guys have struggled to find a guy to play PF for you for years. Marvin is your guy. He's long enough to hold his own. He has quick feet and knows where to be. He can drag his guy out to the perimiter with outside shooting and then he can easily take the lumbering PF's off the dribble. Often we ask marvin go get out on the break for us, but when we ask him to focus on rebounding he does great. He certainly has a frame that could add more weight if we needed him to. He is your ideal PF and doesn't complain if other guys dominate the ball. Putting him out there will open up so much more court for the guys on your team that can penetrate."

• Like 2

"You guys have struggled to find a guy to play PF for you for years. Marvin is your guy. He's long enough to hold his own. He has quick feet and knows where to be. He can drag his guy out to the perimiter with outside shooting and then he can easily take the lumbering PF's off the dribble. Often we ask marvin go get out on the break for us, but when we ask him to focus on rebounding he does great. He certainly has a frame that could add more weight if we needed him to. He is your ideal PF and doesn't complain if other guys dominate the ball. Putting him out there will open up so much more court for the guys on your team that can penetrate."

Wow...I'm beginning to think we should get this guy!

For the record I am for keeping Marvin...........but here are things that every GM knows.

Marvin is better then plenty of the other SFs on the market.

Better and younger then Prince and Norcioni at this point in their careers.

Better then Outlaw.

Younger then C. Bulter but not as good.

Those are some SFs who are currently in the daily trade rumors. If you find a team that is hot for one of those SFs then they may like Marvin. (I don't think anyone really wants Prince or Norcioni until they are in the last year of their contract.)

To the Hawks:

"You have 2 guys on the team who dominate the ball and are looking high and low for ways to get your PF and Center more involved. You need to a guy who can work without the ball, and who can step outside and kill teams that slough off towards the middle. You lack height at PF and Center but Marvin gives you height across the board that other teams have trouble matching up with. In your switching defense you need a guy who can guard both bigs and hang with smalls. You have terrible defense at PG so Joe Johnson often has to guard the best PG on the other team, but that means that you need someone who can be a primary stopper for wings. And just look at Marvin's Jumpshot- he is already hurting teams from outside and his 3 point percentage is only going to go up now that he has added that range to his game. Remember how young he is, he is still adding pieces to his game and can grow with your other young guys. Plus all the guys love playing with marvin and he is a dream in the clubhouse even if he doesn't get a single play called for him. "

Edited by spotatl
  • Like 2

To the Hawks:

"You have 2 guys on the team who dominate the ball and are looking high and low for ways to get your PF and Center more involved. You need to a guy who can work without the ball, and who can step outside and kill teams that slough off towards the middle. You lack height at PF and Center but Marvin gives you height across the board that other teams have trouble matching up with. In your switching defense you need a guy who can guard both bigs and hang with smalls. You have terrible defense at PG so Joe Johnson often has to guard the best PG on the other team, but that means that you need someone who can be a primary stopper for wings. And just look at Marvin's Jumpshot- he is already hurting teams from outside and his 3 point percentage is only going to go up now that he has added that range to his game. All the guys love playing with marvin and he is a dream in the clubhouse even if he doesn't get a single play called for him."

I totally agree. That is why I want to keep him. He fits in perfectly when he asked to play a team role and not be a primary scoring option.

coachx- don't mistake this for me saying that we should keep Marvin- this is my sales pitch on how I would sell the team on Marvin being the right fit for the Hawks. Personally I do think he should be traded, not because he can't be useful to the Hawks but because if the WOlves or Warriors see him as a 2nd or 3rd option then they should value him more than the Hawks who see him as a 5th or 6th option. The Hawks shoudl be able to get a 5th or 6th option type player plus something else useful.

• Moderators

My pitch to other teams:

When you look at Marvin Williams, you see a guy who is long enough to play PF but agile enough to defend SFs. He has a sweet perimeter jumper and is one of the best players in the entire league at getting to the line on a per shot basis. He is a team player without a big ego who will fit into any lockerroom. He is only 22 years old - the same age at which Tayshaun Prince was playing 5 mpg in games he was available to play for the Pistons so you know he has room to grow.

He has averaged over 13 ppg and 5-6 rpg the last 4 years despite playing in an offense that emphasizes only one-on-one isolation play. It is obvious to anyone who watches this kid play that he is not an isolation player, and he could really break out in an offense with some structure. You don't run an iso-offense do you? Of course you don't.

This is an asset that has been underdeveloped and underutilized but he would be someone you could feature on your team. Despite how misused he has been by Mike Woodson, he has been consistently productive on a very successful team. At 22 years old, you can mold him for your team and your philosophy. On top of that, he has a very reasonable salary that actually decreases next season.

If you want a low risk/high upside gamble on a young player, this is your man.

Edited by AHF
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

I totally agree. That is why I want to keep him. He fits in perfectly when he asked to play a team role and not be a primary scoring option.

CoachX... A lot of things sound good on Paper...

Marvin Williams, a 6-foot-9, 230-pound freshman forward from North Carolina, has decided to become the fourth Tar Heel underclassmen to enter the NBA Draft. He was considered the top high school player who did not enter the 2004 NBA Draft. Last year, eight of the top 19 picks were high school players. Williams averaged 11.3 points and 6.6 rebounds per game coming off the bench and was a first team College Basketball News' Freshman All-American.

Marvin Williams had an outstanding freshman season for the Tar Heels coming off the bench for the national champions. Williams already possesses a pro body and is an excellent athlete. He has the ability to play both inside and outside. Williams is considered a top three to five selection in the June 28th NBA Draft

That's on Paper...

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - Marvin Williams never tried to be a star, choosing to blend in on a talented North Carolina team that went on to win a national championship.

Too bad he never had the kind of game befitting someone so comfortable with anonymity.

The 19-year-old has a big man’s body and a guard’s shooting touch, skills that have made the 6-foot-9 forward a candidate for the No. 1 overall pick in next week’s NBA draft. And from shoe deals to photo shoots to workouts in which his entire game is scrutinized, Williams now can’t escape the spotlight after just one year as a college reserve.

on paPER

I agree that Marvin could easily be pitched as a low risk/high upside player. Personally I don't think there is much more upside, but other teams may see it because of his youth. Either way, you at least know what you're getting with Marvin and anything extra is icing on the cake.

My pitch to other teams:

When you look at Marvin Williams, you see a guy who is long enough to play PF but agile enough to defend SFs. He has a sweet perimeter jumper and is one of the best players in the entire league at getting to the line on a per shot basis. He is a team player without a big ego who will fit into any lockerroom. He is only 22 years old - the same age at which Tayshaun Prince was playing 5 mpg in games he was available to play for the Pistons so you know he has room to grow.

He has averaged over 13 ppg and 5-6 rpg the last 4 years despite playing in an offense that emphasizes only one-on-one isolation play. It is obvious to anyone who watches this kid play that he is not an isolation player, and he could really break out in an offense with some structure. You don't run an iso-offense do you? Of course you don't.

This is an asset that has been underdeveloped and underutilized but he would be someone you could feature on your team. Despite how misused he has been by Mike Woodson, he has been consistently productive on a very successful team. At 22 years old, you can mold him for your team and your philosophy. On top of that, he has a very reasonable salary that actually decreases next season.

If you want a low risk/high upside gamble on a young player, this is your man.

I think he is closer to 24 than 22 at this point.