• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: We are in the running for Big Z

mrhonline

• Premium Member

And Big Z can't guard Dwight either.

This is, to me, the only reason you bother to acquire almost anyone right now. Either defensively or offensively, a new guy has to neutralize Dwight to a greater degree than we currently are able to get him neutralized.

If that's not likely to happen, do your best with the roster we've got and look for new options in the off-season.

On second glance, it appears that Z's contract required him to already be paid most of his salary already. Plus, he just received $1.7M as a trade bonus.

He'll be bought out and re-sign in Cleveland for the minimum, IMHO.

I Agree. i don't understand why everyone is getting their hopes about big Z

He has played his entire career in Cleveland, and him and his wife just adopted 2 kids.He's not going anywhere but back to Cleveland in 30 days.

I think people are just happy that Sund is trying to upgrade the bench :help wanted:

Big Z was starting last year too. It's a lot different and we have better defenders than Cleveland around Z.

• Premium Member

So here's the deal with Ilgauskas money situation (I'm rounding):

He was paid $5.77M up front this season.

The remaining $5.77M was to be spread out of the remainder of the season. So, with 113/170th of the season already completed, let's assume he was paid ~$3.83M of the remainder by the Cavs. That means he is owed $1.94M of his original salary. When traded to the Wizards, he received an additional $0.58M via a trade kicker.

Compared to the amount he was expecting to receive ($11.54M), Ilgauskas only lacks $1.36M. Guess what? The veteran's minimum he'll sign with some contender will pay him $1.30M. (And that's not even taking into consideration any buyout money that Washington agrees to pay him).

The one caveat is that the Cavs will have to use their MLE or BAE next season to retain him. The lure of playing time and a two-year contract is likely the only way Atlanta gets him.

• Premium Member

The MLE doesn't start prorating until sometime in Janauary as I recall. I'd think the Hawks could still offer Z significantly more than that.

Was getting ready to correct that.

Roughly speaking, the MLE is currently at 5/7ths of what it was when the season began, or ~$4.2M. The Hawks could offer that in its entirety without going over the luxury tax. So this comes down to the Atlanta Spirit.

• Premium Member

You guys forget we play more than just Dwight. You mean Z wouldn't be good against Perkins or Oneal? Of course he would be, if nothing more than moving them out of the lane.

We do play more than just Dwight.

And, we are capable to defeat anyone on any given night this season...

With one... glaring... exception so far.

That's why that's the priority.

• Moderators

Was getting ready to correct that.

Roughly speaking, the MLE is currently at 5/7ths of what it was when the season began, or ~$4.2M. The Hawks could offer that in its entirety without going over the luxury tax. So this comes down to the Atlanta Spirit.

But you are thinking that $4.2M isn't attractive to Z without another year attached?

• Premium Member

Winning teams with only the BAE remaining (~$1.55M):

Cleveland*

Dallas*

Denver*

Phoenix*

San Antonio*

Winning teams with full MLE available (~$4.55M):

Atlanta

Chicago*

Miami*

New Orleans*

Oklahoma City

Utah*

Winning teams with partial MLE available:

Houston (~$1.6M)

*Would incur luxury tax penalty

If money is no object, the Hawks can outbid all other top teams.

But you are thinking that $4.2M isn't attractive to Z without another year attached?

I'm thinking the Spirit will refuse to pay that much. By the way, I miscalculated. It's closer to $4.55M.

Edited by mrhonline
  • Like 1

Winning teams with only the BAE remaining (~$1.55M):

Cleveland*

Dallas*

Denver*

Phoenix*

San Antonio*

Winning teams with full MLE available (~$4.55M):

Atlanta

Chicago*

Miami*

New Orleans*

Oklahoma City

Utah*

Winning teams with partial MLE available:

Houston (~$1.6M)

*Would incur luxury tax penalty

If money is no object, the Hawks can outbid all other top teams.

I'm thinking the Spirit will refuse to pay that much. By the way, I miscalculated. It's closer to $4.55M.

If all of this is right you should be working as an assistant to a GM some where. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks for all your work ! Nice to see we are only the team that can sign Big Z without luxury tax.

• Premium Member

Thanks, coach.

There's one angle of this I don't think I've seen mentioned: signing Ilgauskas would remove one weapon from the Cavs' arsensal vs. the Hawks if they meet in the playoffs.

Simply not having to worry about Z would help Horford and Zaza tremendously.

• Premium Member

Thanks, coach.

There's one angle of this I don't think I've seen mentioned: signing Ilgauskas would remove one weapon from the Cavs' arsensal vs. the Hawks if they meet in the playoffs.

Simply not having to worry about Z would help Horford and Zaza tremendously.

Of course, what is not being addressed through all this is the likelihood that Big Z doesn't give a damn about the money at this stage in his career. Dude's made north of $120M in his career, and he has never struck me as someone who is remotely about the Benjamins. On the other hand, he doesn't have a ring.

The fact that we can offer him more money will, IMHO, give us absolutely no help, particularly against teams that have a better shot at winning a title (and the Cavs and Nuggets certainly have a better shot than we do).

Edited by niremetal

• Premium Member

Of course, what is not being addressed through all this is the likelihood that Big Z doesn't give a damn about the money at this stage in his career. Dude's made north of $120M in his career, and he has never struck me as someone who is remotely about the Benjamins. The fact that we can offer him more money will, IMHO, give us absolutely no help, particularly against teams that have a better shot at winning a title (and the Cavs and Nuggets certainly have a better shot than we do).

That's been mentioned a number of times in this thread, actually.

• Premium Member

That's been mentioned a number of times in this thread, actually.

I usually like you, but what's the point of you saying IN BIG BOLD LETTERS that we can outbid other teams? You make it sound like Ilgauskas would pick us over Cleveland because we can offer him 2.5% more of his career income than they can. That's just absurd, isn't it?

Edit: And yes, I realize that you said earlier that you think he'll sign back in Cleveland. But why stoke the fires of people who will assume anyway that the only reason we didn't land Z is because ASG is cheap?

Edited by niremetal