• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woody: I think the fact that I am trying to–I don’t want to use the word ‘hiding’ guys

HawkItus

“I think the fact that I am trying to–I don’t want to use the word ‘hiding’ guys–but we switch a lot of things, we try to be proactive,” he said. “Maybe we need to scale back a little bit in those areas. But I don’t want to take our aggressiveness away. I think we are just doing it in spurts.”

Let's play my favorite game and dissect Mike's words. It's obvious he is talking about Mike Bibby. That's a given. Who are the other guys? Crawford? Also, Josh had some pretty damn incriminating statements in the same article about guys staying in front of their man. My question is why doesn't Teague and West get more time.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's play my favorite game and dissect Mike's words. It's obvious he is talking about Mike Bibby. That's a given. Who are the other guys? Crawford? Also, Josh had some pretty damn incriminating statements in the same article about guys staying in front of their man. My question is why doesn't Teague and West get more time.

Why don't they get more time? Because our coach has more eyebrow hair than he has a clue.

• Like 3

I can't except stupid as an answer because self preservation outweighs stupidity in even the dumbest animal. He can plainly see these guys are costing the team games. This in turn can cost him his job, or money. He plays Joe, Horf, and Smoove to death for this exact reason. Why doesn't it happen with fixing this problem?

I can't except stupid as an answer because self preservation outweighs stupidity in even the dumbest animal. He can plainly see these guys are costing the team games. This in turn can cost him his job, or money. He plays Joe, Horf, and Smoove to death for this exact reason. Why doesn't it happen with fixing this problem?

It's a matter of perspective. We are watching the game on tv. Seeing all 5 people moving on the floor at once. I can almost guarantee you he's watching the game with blinders. He's watching to see if we switch instead of seeing if the individual player needed to switch in the first place. He's looking at people, situations and not the whole floor. When we watch on tv, our perspective is much different. We can see how all 5 players are interacting, affecting each other.

Woody is also seeing the floor through the eyes of his practice sessions. He works on something in practice and he's looking to see if it's implemented properly in the game. We aren't distracted by that and instead we are just looking at basketball. When seen through the filter of just plain basketball, it's easy to see the absolute havoc Teague causes at both ends of the floor. Even if he isn't performing as a spot up shooter, his other talents bring much more to the table.

So consider this post my own personal letter to Woodson.

When Teague is in the game on the offensive end, the defense collapses to the paint. They fear this kid driving the lane. The defense works much harder and runs out their legs trying to get back as Teague pushes the ball up the floor. The big men play with their hands up as they know the kid is taking it to the lane and they know a pass or short rebound opportunity is only seconds away.

When Teague is in the game on defense, opposing points do not drive. They move left to right to run him into a screen as he stays in front of his man. Opposing points rush to their spots and drives because they know he has recovery speed and this creates block and steal opportunities for the bigs.

When Mario is in the game, his man can not leave him to double...Mario only needs a step to get to the rim. he is not a polished offensive threat but he is a high flyer and requires a body. On defense, he opens up rebound opportunities because he requires a big to step out and set the screen.

These things are invaluable toward controlling the tempo of a game Mr. Woodson. Stop watching tape or the game through the practice filter and start watching it through the basketball filter.

Lineup Min. Off. Rat. Def. Rat. Diff.

Bibby, Johnson, Williams, Josh Smith, Horford 951 108.1 98.3 9.8

Bibby, Crawford, Johnson, Josh Smith, Horford 352 117.0 106.5 10.5

Crawford, Johnson, Williams, Josh Smith, Horford 272 119.4 103.0 16.3

Teague, Crawford, Evans, Joe Smith, Pachulia 109 101.4 112.2 -10.8

Crawford, Johnson, Evans, Josh Smith, Horford 83 120.9 112.1 8.7

Your point? We're talking about playing Teague in place of Bibby, not with the second unit.

In fact, looking at http://www.82games.com/0910/0910ATL2.HTM, I don't see a single minute for a Teague-Johnson-Marvin-Smith-Horford or Teague-Crawford-Johnson-Smith-Horford unit. I don't see a single minute where Teague was on the floor with JoJo or Horford.

Your point? We're talking about playing Teague in place of Bibby, not with the second unit.

In fact, looking at http://www.82games.com/0910/0910ATL2.HTM, I don't see a single minute for a Teague-Johnson-Marvin-Smith-Horford or Teague-Crawford-Johnson-Smith-Horford unit. I don't see a single minute where Teague was on the floor with JoJo or Horford.

I think he'll be a player in this league.

Check the link to read the chart in a better format.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/john_schuhmann/03/10/hawks/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Hawks Most Used Lineups

Lineup Min. Off. Rat. Def. Rat. Diff.

Bibby, Johnson, Williams, Josh Smith, Horford 951 108.1 98.3 9.8

Bibby, Crawford, Johnson, Josh Smith, Horford 352 117.0 106.5 10.5

Crawford, Johnson, Williams, Josh Smith, Horford 272 119.4 103.0 16.3

Teague, Crawford, Evans, Joe Smith, Pachulia 109 101.4 112.2 -10.8

Crawford, Johnson, Evans, Josh Smith, Horford 83 120.9 112.1 8.7

Overall, the Hawks do some things well defensively. They're above average in forcing turnovers, keeping their opponent off the free-throw line and defending the three. But even though their starting bigs, Josh Smith and Al Horford, are the most indispensible pieces defensively, it's on the interior where their defensive numbers are inferior.

The Hawks' opponents score 46.4 points in the paint per 100 possessions, the sixth most in the league. And Atlanta ranks 20th in defensive rebounding percentage. They've allowed at least 15 second-chance points in 29 of their 62 games, accounting for 15 of their 20 losses.

Both Smith and Horford are a little undersized for their positions, but through watching film, it becomes clear that the Hawks would be a better defensive team if they simply made a more consistent effort to box out.

The Hawks' worst problem, however, is their transition defense, which may be the worst in the league. Their opponents score 17.4 fast break points per 100 possessions (sixth most in the league), but because the Hawks are the best in the NBA in not turning the ball over, those fast break points are coming mostly on missed and made shots.

In fact, if you subtract a team's turnovers from its opponents' fast-break points, the Hawks have the worst differential in the league: +4.7 per 100 possessions. Only Toronto (+3.5) is even close. Contrast that number with Boston (-4.7), Orlando (-3.6) and Cleveland (-1.4) and you can see quickly how Atlanta can get better defensively.

Edited by coachx

Check the link to read the chart in a better format.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/john_schuhmann/03/10/hawks/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Our backcourt is slow; JJ should really be playing SF, this hurts our transition defense. (Along with being not matched correctly because of all the switches)

Also, I think all the switching has made this team too passive. We don't chase over and under screens, I think when a team chases it makes it more aggressive.

Switching and and counting on Josh has made our team passive defensively. Not having great backup bigs causes Al and Josh to be a little more selective when challenging shots, to avoid foul trouble.

They don't get time because they can't shoot. Woodson loves guards that can shoot because his offense has to be bailed out constantly.

We run so much Iso that teams have to help, creating open shots specifically for the SF and PG spots.

If we shared the ball more it wouldn't be such a big issue.

They don't get time because they can't shoot. Woodson loves guards that can shoot because his offense has to be bailed out constantly.

We run so much Iso that teams have to help, creating open shots specifically for the SF and PG spots.

If we shared the ball more it wouldn't be such a big issue.

Which is the exact reason a point that can penetrate and dish is exactly what we need.

Which is the exact reason a point that can penetrate and dish is exactly what we need.

Yes, if Teague played he would have to do the majority of the penetration and kick.

My thinking is: while Bibby was in this slump why not give Teague more minutes because he couldn't shoot any worse than Bibby.

I want to see more of Teague/Craw in the game with JJ at the 3; this way if you have to help to stop Teague's penetration, then JJ Smoove Craw and Al should have no problem scoring.

It's a matter of perspective. We are watching the game on tv. Seeing all 5 people moving on the floor at once. I can almost guarantee you he's watching the game with blinders. He's watching to see if we switch instead of seeing if the individual player needed to switch in the first place. He's looking at people, situations and not the whole floor. When we watch on tv, our perspective is much different. We can see how all 5 players are interacting, affecting each other.

Woody is also seeing the floor through the eyes of his practice sessions. He works on something in practice and he's looking to see if it's implemented properly in the game. We aren't distracted by that and instead we are just looking at basketball. When seen through the filter of just plain basketball, it's easy to see the absolute havoc Teague causes at both ends of the floor. Even if he isn't performing as a spot up shooter, his other talents bring much more to the table.

So consider this post my own personal letter to Woodson.

When Teague is in the game on the offensive end, the defense collapses to the paint. They fear this kid driving the lane. The defense works much harder and runs out their legs trying to get back as Teague pushes the ball up the floor. The big men play with their hands up as they know the kid is taking it to the lane and they know a pass or short rebound opportunity is only seconds away.

When Teague is in the game on defense, opposing points do not drive. They move left to right to run him into a screen as he stays in front of his man. Opposing points rush to their spots and drives because they know he has recovery speed and this creates block and steal opportunities for the bigs.

When Mario is in the game, his man can not leave him to double...Mario only needs a step to get to the rim. he is not a polished offensive threat but he is a high flyer and requires a body. On defense, he opens up rebound opportunities because he requires a big to step out and set the screen.

These things are invaluable toward controlling the tempo of a game Mr. Woodson. Stop watching tape or the game through the practice filter and start watching it through the basketball filter.

LOL . . . you talk like Teague is Mookie Blaylock or something. Teams don't back off or fear that kid on the offensive end. They back off of him because he can't consistently make a jumper. They want him to take the 20 footer in the same way people back off Smoove, so that he can take a jumper.

On defense, there's no doubt that Teague is better on the ball than Bibby. The problem arises when his man doesn't have the ball. His defensive awareness is pretty bad. Teague loses his man when he doesn't have the ball, because he's too busy watching the ball only, instead of watching his man AND the ball.

But don't talk the rookie up like he's the 2nd coming of Mookie . .. or even Speedy.

Seeing Woody's quote makes sense on maybe why he's so hard on Teague when he makes defensive mistakes. If Teague played better defense, there's no doubt that Woody may play him more.

Honestly, that was part of what kept Acie off the floor . . . his below average defense.

LOL . . . you talk like Teague is Mookie Blaylock or something. Teams don't back off or fear that kid on the offensive end. They back off of him because he can't consistently make a jumper. They want him to take the 20 footer in the same way people back off Smoove, so that he can take a jumper.

On defense, there's no doubt that Teague is better on the ball than Bibby. The problem arises when his man doesn't have the ball. His defensive awareness is pretty bad. Teague loses his man when he doesn't have the ball, because he's too busy watching the ball only, instead of watching his man AND the ball.

But don't talk the rookie up like he's the 2nd coming of Mookie . .. or even Speedy.

Seeing Woody's quote makes sense on maybe why he's so hard on Teague when he makes defensive mistakes. If Teague played better defense, there's no doubt that Woody may play him more.

Honestly, that was part of what kept Acie off the floor . . . his below average defense.

The only thing that has kept Teague off the floor is Woody coaching for his basketball life. He is trying to get a contract and since he can't coach very well, the only thing he knows to do is ride his 6 starters for a long as they can stand it.

Had teague played more minutes early in the year, and had Woody not snatched him out of the game after a mistake or two, he wouldn't have to think as much and 2nd guess everything he does on the court. Woody turned an aggressive attacking PG into a PG that is scared to do much of anything when the game is close.

Do any of you recall the preseason Teague; that cat was fearless, Woody has killed his confidence.

And yeah, Teague is the best PG defender we have on this team; I wish he would snatch Bibby's *ss out right after anybody wearing a jersey blows by him. At least try to stay in front of your guy Bibs, damn.

Edited by swolehawk2

Teague was HORRIBLE at drive and kick in College- why would you think it could magically work in the NBA?

Because he has already shown that he can do it in the NBA. in college he was asked to be a primary scorer.

the problem in the pros is that he is kicking out to Zaza and Joe Smith who only make 30% of their jumpers.

Because he has already shown that he can do it in the NBA.

What on earth are you talking about? Teague has been one of the worst PG's in the league this season on offense. He's shown that he isn't ready to help a playoff team.

Edited by spotatl