• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

HawkSquawk NCAA tournament bracket

gsuteke

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to point out how overrated the Big East is. Too many analysts talk about how great the conference is, how their top 8 or 10 teams are better than any other conference in America. Of course, they seem to forget the Big East has 16 freaking teams and you can go through conference play with a winning record pretty easily because of all the filler teams at the bottom.

Quality over quantity, the ACC has had a "down year" (i.e. UNC did bad so the media assumes the ACC as a whole is doing bad, not the case though) but I believe you will see solid performances. And for anyone who picked Mizzou over Clemson, bad choice. No distractions for Clemson this year (hard to when you're in Buffalo) and they've been knocked out in the 1st round the past 2 years so they will be focused. Of course I am biased, but that doesn't make what I am saying any less wrong.

• Moderators

Of course I am biased, but that doesn't make what I am saying any less wrong.

No it doesn't - it is equally wrong with or without the bias!

j/k

Seriously, I agree with you. The Big East has already blown its aura of greatness this season. Georgetown just got slapped around and Villanova barely escaped against a 15 seed and these are supposed to be two of the conference's best.

At least UK rolled with style (winning with a big margin is something they haven't done much this year and I don't expect to continue).

Seriously, I agree with you. The Big East has already blown its aura of greatness this season. Georgetown just got slapped around and Villanova barely escaped against a 15 seed and these are supposed to be two of the conference's best.

The Big East is so full of themselves. Its the damn northeast coast ESPN bias. I am always shocked that analysts time and time again fail to notice that the Big East has 16 teams, so when you talk about "top 8" you are talking about top half of a conference. Of course the ACC top 8 teams are not as good as the Big East, but thats not comparable.

And for anyone who picked Mizzou over Clemson, bad choice. No distractions for Clemson this year (hard to when you're in Buffalo) and they've been knocked out in the 1st round the past 2 years so they will be focused. Of course I am biased, but that doesn't make what I am saying any less wrong.

Ouch.

Can't believe I'm hanging in this thing. I haven't watched a single NCAA game from start to finish all year long.

Speak for yourself. I've already thrown my bracket in the garbage can. Thanks for nothing, Big (L)East....

Well DJ Northern Iowa knocked off the tourneys #1 overall ranked team, its all downhill from there.

Yeah...WOW...what a surprise! UNI darn near messed it up with those two late turnovers but that late 3 by Farouk (or something like that) sure got him popular everywhere but in Kansas.

AHF's Wildcats look like the prohibitive favorites to me now. Not saying they can't be beaten, but they look awefully good.

I was really pulling for GATech to make a run but they play dumb basketball, WAY too many turnovers on passes that aren't even necessary, and early long shots without even trying to work the ball inside. How old is Bobby Cremmins?

I LOVE the position I'm in right now with my somewhat depleated bracket. The keys to winning bracket pools come down to

1) make sure you pick the right team to win the Championship

2) Get at least 3 of your teams in the Final 4 ( or pick both Championship game participants )

3) don't lose more than 50% of your Sweet 16 teams

Right now, I can say that I've done all 3 of those things, with the keys to my bracket being Syracuse winning it all, and Tennessee reaching the Final 4

Tennessee was grossly underseeded in my opinion. They should've been the 3 seed instead of Georgetown. So if they can get past Ohio St ( which I believe they can ), they'll beat Mich St or N. Iowa, and get to the Final 4.

Picking the Midwest Final right . . Tennessee vs Michigan St . . along with Kentucky and Syracuse continuing to do their march to the Final 4, may win this for me.

But I don't need UK reaching the championship game. honestly, I wouldn't be mad if they lost in the regionals, and either Cornell or Washington won the East Region

Well, the good news is that I'm tied for 3rd right now thanks to a strong second day in the first round and getting 11 of the 16 teams remaining right. The bad news; well, I had Villanova winning it all and Kansas in the Final Four. So I'm out of the running anyway.

And North is dead on; the Vols were screwed Bret Hart in Montreal-style in getting only a 6th seed in the Midwest, despite not having their leading scorer (Tyler Smith) after he decided to do his best T.I. impersonation on New Year's Day. I had them beating Georgetown but thanks to the Hoyas forgetting to take the charter plane to Providence, I didn't even have to worry about that. If the 'good Vols' show up (the ones who beat on Kansas and Kentucky), I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them beat OSU and make it to the Final Four by taking out NI or Michigan State. But if the 'bad Vols' arrive (the ones who lost to USC by 22), I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them lose to OSU by 36.

Edited by Dejay

...Tennessee was grossly underseeded in my opinion. They should've been the 3 seed instead of Georgetown. So if they can get past Ohio St ( which I believe they can ), they'll beat Mich St or N. Iowa, and get to the Final 4.

Picking the Midwest Final right . . Tennessee vs Michigan St . . along with Kentucky and Syracuse continuing to do their march to the Final 4, may win this for me.

But I don't need UK reaching the championship game. honestly, I wouldn't be mad if they lost in the regionals, and either Cornell or Washington won the East Region

I dunno about Tennessee that much, but if GT had played smarter they could have beaten OSU (of course if they could they would). So Tennessee has a decent chance.

Kentucky looks like the major favourite to me now (especially with WV getting their PG hurt and out). I can't see any team beating the Wildcats. Cornell has like zero NBA players and KY has 3 or 4.

I can still see some upsets though. I don't think Northern Iowa is quite finished yet and I think Saint Mary's could win another game. Butler is dangerous. I wouldn't be surprised to see a mid-major in the final four.

As far as the overall brackets go for me - I'm doomed - I stupidly picked Georgetown to get hot and win it all - when will I learn - don't bet on coach's kids who are coaches. But to be fair I otherwise would have picked Kansas versus WV and their PG is out. Screwed either way........Good luck guys. kickcan.gif

Edited by DJlaysitup

I LOVE the position I'm in right now with my somewhat depleated bracket. The keys to winning bracket pools come down to

1) make sure you pick the right team to win the Championship

2) Get at least 3 of your teams in the Final 4 ( or pick both Championship game participants )

3) don't lose more than 50% of your Sweet 16 teams

Right now, I can say that I've done all 3 of those things, with the keys to my bracket being Syracuse winning it all, and Tennessee reaching the Final 4

Tennessee was grossly underseeded in my opinion. They should've been the 3 seed instead of Georgetown. So if they can get past Ohio St ( which I believe they can ), they'll beat Mich St or N. Iowa, and get to the Final 4.

I have all 3 going for me too. Ohio State is still alive, Syracuse - OSU - Kentucky are all still alive, I have 8 of my 16 and 4 of my elite 8 still alive.

If Syracuse wins it, God bless them. As it stands now, they look like they need to beat a 5, 2, 2, 1 to win it all. OSU needs to beat a 6, (winner of a 5-9), 1, 1. Beating 2 - 2's and a 1 will be difficult missing their shot blocking big man in 2 of those games.

the current leader is misleading. In order of most potential points left, you have

H - 163 (his hopes are pinned on KSU and Baylor making the final 4..if they do he should win it all)

IKNOW - 158 (but 3 of his final 4 are vulnerable or out)

Thecampster - 147 (I have 2 1's and a 2 left in my final 4)

Northcyde - 138 (Tennessee is the key to his bracket)

Frankthetank - 135 (Nearly a statistical impossibility he wins. Has to be near perfect the rest of the way)

That's the field right now. Almost everyone else is pretty much out due to statistical probability. Of the top 7 guys point wise in the tourney, 4 had Kansas winning it all, 1 had villanova and 1 had villanova and Kansas making the final 4...they are all pretty much out.

Edited by thecampster