• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Al was on fire yesterday! - Need to run more plays for him

JackB1

Wow, Al was as hot as I have ever seen him yesterday. He must have hit about 6-7 shots in a row,

We really need to find a way to get him more touches every night. With his high FG% we are only

hurting ourselves by not doing this. If Al got as many shots as Joe, he would be averaging 20 a game.

• Premium Member

I agree. Al is no stiff on the block and we need to go to him more - if for nothing but to see how well he can develop his game. I think we forget that he hasn't been in the league very long and has room to grow. So far, man...he's solid.

On another note, I can't say how much I enjoy watching that big dude run the floor. MAN can he get out on the break and he looks comfortable even when he's handling the rock. Not saying he's got PG handles or anything ridiculous like that, but he has no problem getting up the floor with or without the ball. I smile every time I see him do it. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Al just needs to stop trying to play with his back to the basket. He did not score once with his back to the basket yesterday. Every score was on a face up move.

Thats a great point and it proves that he would do even better with some plays for him. I would love to see more of Zaza at the 5, Al at the 4 and Smoove at the 3.

Zaza setting the screen for Al's 15 footer would be money.

Thats a great point and it proves that he would do even better with some plays for him. I would love to see more of Zaza at the 5, Al at the 4 and Smoove at the 3.

Actually playing a face up game would be easier against centers who are less likely to come out on his jumper and would have a harder time defending him off the dribble.

Teams right now are willing to let Al Shoot 15 foot jumpers whenever he wants to. Thats a shot other teams are thrilled to let him take. And this season he has made all of 39% of his jumpers between 10 and 15 feet.

Al just needs to stop trying to play with his back to the basket. He did not score once with his back to the basket yesterday. Every score was on a face up move.

I disagree. I saw him make a couple of hooks and and running floaters in the lane on Hibbert. Also, if we was to stop with his back to the basket, how would he develop it. He would be an Antonio McDyess with less height and would be criticized down the road for not developing or elevating his game. This just makes Al more dangerous and have an array of moves to go to. I say it depends on who he's playing and how he's feeling it as to what moves or shots to defer to.

He he has a slower player...take him to the perimeter. If he follows, take him off the dribble (Bogut, Lee. If he has a quicker player on him, muscle him (Bosh, Bargnani, McCoy, Blatche). Run the pick and roll and pick and pop if he has the open shot. Don't limit yourself to being one-dimensional, a spot up shooter or just trying to take someone off the dribble (Smoove).

• Premium Member

I think if Al is consistent with his midrange Jumper, he will make a world of difference for this team.

Teams have to respect the threat.

Actually playing a face up game would be easier against centers who are less likely to come out on his jumper and would have a harder time defending him off the dribble.

This is what I'm talking about right here. Use his strengths to his advantage and diminish his weaknesses by using a different method of scoring. Some centers are going to be too slow, some too small, some stiff, some not quick enough to challenge the 12-15 footer, some too weak. Exploit there defensive weaknesses.

Teams right now are willing to let Al Shoot 15 foot jumpers whenever he wants to. Thats a shot other teams are thrilled to let him take. And this season he has made all of 39% of his jumpers between 10 and 15 feet.

All while getting better and better and more comfortable taking them as the season progresses. This is his first year really using the jumper at his disposal. I WISH opposing teams would continue giving it to him...I would tell him to continue taking them...now Smoove OTH, drive or post-up buddy, leave the mid-range to Al.

• Admin

Al has a very underrated offensive game. He has really improved over the few years he has been in the league. I love that he has a very consistent midrange jumper. I wonder if he is going to be the one who really steps up on offense if JJ leaves this summer.

Wow, Al was as hot as I have ever seen him yesterday. He must have hit about 6-7 shots in a row,

We really need to find a way to get him more touches every night. With his high FG% we are only

hurting ourselves by not doing this. If Al got as many shots as Joe, he would be averaging 20 a game.

I think with Al you try to explore going to him early and you can usually figure out pretty quick if he will impact the game or not. Some games and against some players his robot like offensive game can get totally shut down, but there are lots of times where he has enough athletic ability to get by his man.

I think if Al is consistent with his midrange Jumper, he will make a world of difference for this team.

Teams have to respect the threat.

agreed. that will make us a Way better team cause we have a big man that can spread the floor and bring their big man out the paint!

I don't know where you are getting that number from but http://www.nba.com/hotspots/ is telling a different story.

Edited by exodus

Al takes more shots from the 16 - 23 foot area ( 2.2 a game ) , than he does from the 10 - 15 foot area ( 1.5 a game ).

From the 16 - 23 foot area, Horford shoots 48% .

Other Hawks from that area:

Crawford - 43%

Bibby - 43%

JJ - 41%

Marvin - 35%

Smoove - 28%

League average from that range is 39.6%

So Horford, instead of backing people down, should shoot that 17, 18 foot jumper. The 10 - 15 foot shot is basically a shot in the lane or to the side of the lane. Horford is usually a little further away from the basket when he catches the ball.

Actually, Patrick Ewing is probably the wrong comparison to Horford. It's probably more like Chris Webber. Webber used to kill people in his prime with the 18 foot jumper.

To me the long jumper is one of the worst shots in all of basketball. To me there are not many players in the league who can make enough from there that I would have it as a main option on offense. If I am the other team then I'd be thrilled to let Horford shoot from out there. He'll have games like against Indiana where he goes 6 for 7 but I think the odds are strongly with the defense. You don't get many offensive rebounds (particularly with your center 18 feet away from the basket and the inside isn't open at all to hit cutters.

Edited by spotatl

Al takes more shots from the 16 - 23 foot area ( 2.2 a game ) , than he does from the 10 - 15 foot area ( 1.5 a game ).

From the 16 - 23 foot area, Horford shoots 48% .

Other Hawks from that area:

Crawford - 43%

Bibby - 43%

JJ - 41%

Marvin - 35%

Smoove - 28%

League average from that range is 39.6%

So Horford, instead of backing people down, should shoot that 17, 18 foot jumper. The 10 - 15 foot shot is basically a shot in the lane or to the side of the lane. Horford is usually a little further away from the basket when he catches the ball.

Actually, Patrick Ewing is probably the wrong comparison to Horford. It's probably more like Chris Webber. Webber used to kill people in his prime with the 18 foot jumper.

i bet i know why there is a discrepancy there. Horford's turnaround J is lame. I bet the closer distances is counting many of these shots.

• Moderators

To me the long jumper is one of the worst shots in all of basketball. To me there are not many players in the league who can make enough from there that I would have it as a main option on offense. If I am the other team then I'd be thrilled to let Horford shoot from out there. He'll have games like against Indiana where he goes 6 for 7 but I think the odds are strongly with the defense. You don't get many offensive rebounds (particularly with your center 18 feet away from the basket and the inside isn't open at all to hit cutters.

I agree with this but he actually does hit it very well:

From the 16 - 23 foot area, Horford shoots 48%

The other consideration on the rebounding front, is that Horford pulls his man away from the basket as well. If he can pull guys like Dwight Howard out of the paint defensively, that can be a very useful offensive weapon.