• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

This team is special

Atlantaholic

It is a consensus. I don't see anyone debating this that is old enough to have watched (or played/coached) the 80's/early 90's game compared to now. Its like someone trying to say the steroid era in baseball didn't really happen.

I'm old enough to have watched a lot of games in those eras, and I don't agree. Overall, that era is better than this one. But when you start talking about individual teams, I definitely don't agree. This year, you don't have one or two dominant teams like in years past, so the field is stacked closer together. But to say that the top level teams of today, couldn't beat one of the 2nd level teams in the past, is flat out disrespecting the greatness of guys like Kobe, Lebron, and Tim Duncan.

No, there isn't.

I've read plenty of books talk about the 60's being the Golden Age of the league in terms of the best players and teams. I've seen plenty of commentators and experts say the same thing. I've seen plenty of pundits talk about how Magic and Larry made the NBA more-watched than any other era in history, but that their teams wouldn't have stood a chance against Russell's Celtics.

I've also seen PLENTY say that the players and teams today could run with the teams from those eras, because players are faster, stronger, and better-conditioned. In fact, the first Google result for NBA + Golden + Age is a fan result saying that it's the 80's and early 90's. But the first result by an "expert" says that it's today. The first book result that comes up talks about the 60's. Searching for "strongest era" and "best era" comes up with a similar mish-mash of fan posts.

And a LOT of experts will also tell you that it is impossible to compare across eras because of differences in style of play, travel arrangements, the length of playoff series, and knowledge of training/diet/etc. Hell, I heard Bob Costas say that talking about players being "better" or "taller" today is irrelevant because Bill Russell might have been 7'2 and even stronger than he was if he had grown up in an era where they had a better understanding of adolescent nutrition.

You have decided to be condescending and arrogant about this, but really, you're just talking out of your butt and not backing up your sweeping statements with anything but your own personal opinion. There is zero consensus on this. This is a subject of constant debate and discussion among "experts" and fans alike. Stop pretending that your personal opinion and selective memory is the end-all and be-all.

This post might be one of the best post I've seen in years. It eclipse anything I've ever written.

• Premium Member

No offense guys but I don't really care what your opinion is on this. As I said before practically every one of consequence feels the NBA was at its best in the 80's and early 90's, I'm old enough to have seen it then and now and they are absolutely correct. I wouldn't put any team in today's game above any of those first or second tier teams back then. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

80s and 90s basketball vs. today?

Well, I say today, you have more parity. That's not a lot but it tells you that the star talent is spread out. The 80s and 90s had dominant teams. I mean Pistons =2, Celtics = 2, Lakers = 3, Bulls = 6. At this stage in the NBA, I think you have a better chance for anybody to win the championship. I mean look at the freakin West. Damn near every team in the playoffs has won 50 games. Look at the East... Anybody in the top 4 could win it.

What the 80s and 90s had that was better were teams, Big men, and less rules.

I would say that today, there's More talent. You don't have teams with 1 superstar like in the 80s and 90s.. now, teams have mutiple stars.... Celts, Us, Cleveland, Lakers, I would like to send a few of these teams back to those times... I'm willing to believe that they would be competitive.

• Premium Member

I guess I should have waited after the first road game to make this thread. Three straight years and we look like absolute garbage on the road. When can we finally conclude that coaching is an issue? This isn't Boston beating us by 25 points... Last year we got handled by a bad Miami team and now we are getting handled by a team that isn't in our same catagory. "The team takes on the personality of their coach" what does that say about Woodson.

At least Joe showed up to play.