• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Worst Case Scenario - Woodson Stays

JackB1

Could Woodson possibly be resigned? I don't know if I can support this team anymore under Woodson.

Woodson staying means more of Josh Smith doing whatever he feels like. It means more iso-Joe.

It means more switching defense.

Please tell me there is NO WAY Woodson stays. I can't anymore!!!!!

Could Woodson possibly be resigned? I don't know if I can support this team anymore under Woodson.

Woodson staying means more of Josh Smith doing whatever he feels like. It means more iso-Joe.

I can't watch Woody's offense anymore either. I hope Sund and the owners feel the same way.

After getting swept in the 2nd round, 2 years in a row ,without being competitive enough to be in a game come the 4th quarter tells us all changes are needed.

I am just scared the Atl Spirit wants to save money and they know they can resign Woodson on the cheap.

I am having nightmares of Woodson standing on the sidelines and Jeff Teague is 42 years old and still on the bench :)

• Moderators

They have no choice but to let Woody go if only because keeping him would be a PR disaster. Its not just some fans calling for him to be fired. Most of the media is saying he lost the team. You just can't bring him back and try to convince fans that next year will be different with all the same pieces.

The ASG has taken the wrong approach with Woody the last 2 years. You always hear 'he doesn't deserve to be fired. He's improved the team every year'. There is no arguing this. Its absolutely true, but successful franchises don't retain a coach based on whether he deserves to be fired or has failed or not in the past. The only thing that matters is whether you feel like he will be a successful coach in the future and lead the team effectively. So he doesn't deserve to be fired, he hasn't done a bad job, but we see finally and conclusively that he isn't going to take this team any further than he has.

• Admin

I just can't see them keeping Woody around. They had every oppurtunity to resign him last year and still asked him to prove himself this year to get a contract. If he had done better in the playoffs I think there would be a chance but the struggle against an undermanned Bucks team and the absolute destruction by Orlando sealed his fate.

It is obvious we need a new coaching direction and phiosophy.

I think a new coach will be good for the team and good for Woody. He needs a fresh start too. I think Woody will hook on with Larry Brown where ever he goes so he will be alright.

• Premium Member

If JJ leaves and Woodson remains coach we aren't winning more than 40 games next year. THAT'S the absolute worst case scenario. If this happens then it will let us know that the ASG have no intention whatsoever to ever bring a championship to this city.

I refuse to acknowledge the possibility that Woodson could return next season.

Yeah, the ASG ticket reps called me again asking if I wanted to get more season tickets for next year -- I said not to call me back until "Coach" Woodson is gone.

How do people make millions of dollars in business but make completely ridiculous decisions?

Talk about a nuclear option. I'll acknowledge that the team progressed win-wise with Woodson at the helm. However, it is painfully obvious that the second round is the demarcation line. In other words, he's a bridge coach; a guy who takes a team from the abyss to a level of respectability, only to be replaced by a guy who can take them over the top. There's a reason why Doug Collins, Rick Carlisle, and Del Harris didn't get invited to their former team's ticker-tape parades after they were shown the door. His philosophy was exposed by opposing coaches with lesser squads (see NYC, Golden State, Detroit, Milwaukee). He's lost the team and once you do that, you can get them back unless you uproot the entire roster in doing so. Since we all know that's not going to happen, the option is clear; crystal clear. After watching Orlando run up the score in our building on national TV twice, while laughing, giggling, setting up postgame parties, and cracking jokes on the sidelines, there is no other option, folks.

To borrow from Sheriff Buford T. Justice again, there is no way, no way the Notorious A.S.G. can sell this fanbase on Woodson coming back. The uproar would be heard from Philips Arena to several 3rd world countries if Sund announces a contract extension.

If that happens, I might be done. Not in terms of supporting and rooting for them but definitely in terms of spending $$$ on tickets, concessions, parking, anything. I want a franchise who desires to win a championship not one who is satisfied with the status quo, all while some other town gets to see their squad splash champagne on each other in June. Gearon should know better from watching the Braves host playoff games in front of empty seats that simply settling for okay isn't good enough in this town. He'd better.

Edited by Dejay

• Premium Member

I just don't see it happening. Woody has taken this team as far as it can go. I have been saying that for 3 years, but I guess he deserved a fair shot with a complete team. I didn't think it was necessary though, given that head coaching gigs in the NBA just don't last very long. It is amazing that we stuck with him for this long...