• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Its 1999 and the Atlanta Hawks just got swept by the Knicks

NJHAWK

You know where Im going here. The Knicks swept us even though the Hawks had homecourt. It appeared the Steve Smith and Mookie teams had run their corse so Babcock blew it up. Traded Mookie for Bimbo Coles and the pick for Appleturnover Terry, traded Smitty for JR cropduster Rider and Jimmy Jackson. 10 years later we made the playoffs again. DO WE REALLY WANT TO GO THERE AGAIN? I am not saying dont make changes but please dont lose Joe for nothing and blow up this squad. They are all still young unlike Mookie and Smitty at the time they were traded.

Edited by NJHAWK

You know where Im going here. The Knicks swept us even though the Hawks had homecourt. It appeared the Steve Smith and Mookie teams had run their corse so Babcock blew it up. Traded Mookie for Bimbo Coles and the pick for Appleturnover Terry, traded Smitty for JR cropduster Rider and Jimmy Jackson. 10 years later we made the playoffs again. DO WE REALLY WANT TO GO THERE AGAIN? I am not saying dont make changes but please dont lose Joe for nothing and blow up this squad. They are all still young unlike Mookie and Smitty at the time they were traded.

So what are we supposed to do? I don't want to blow up the entire thing but JJ and Woody need to go however it seem no matter what we do with JJ it screws up our cap for along time.

I would like to build around Holford, J.Smith, Teague and keep Crawford and even Bibby around strickly for the bench. Everyone else can be replaced as far as I'm concerned but it seem we are probably stuck with M. Williams contract.

Sad but it seems our cap is so messed up we have no viable options.

• Moderators

Great. Now I can't get that Prince song out of my head. Assuredly, the few fans left by the end of Lenny's near-decade-long run were singing "2000, zero-zero, party over, oops, OUT OF TIME..."

Those who cared enough to scream "Blow this up!" I think included the coach AND the GM in their conclusions. There was a sense that key players could only transition into a supporting/reserve role on championship-caliber teams (Smitty w/ the Blazers and Spurs, Deke with the Sixers), and that the Hawks were now eons away from the notion of a championship-caliber level. In that case, given the age of the players and the tepid results, it was comprehensible to expect trades to follow. But most fans were of the opinion that someone other than Lenny and Babcock should be the ones pulling the strings, and in hindsight they were correct (Rider, Theo).

Unlike Babcock, I do think the Jamal deal his provided Sund enough fan-confidence to make things work this summer, whether that includes Joe or not.

• Premium Member

Great. Now I can't get that Prince song out of my head. Assuredly, the few fans left by the end of Lenny's near-decade-long run were singing "2000, zero-zero, party over, oops, OUT OF TIME..."

Those who cared enough to scream "Blow this up!" I think included the coach AND the GM in their conclusions. There was a sense that key players could only transition into a supporting/reserve role on championship-caliber teams (Smitty w/ the Blazers and Spurs, Deke with the Sixers), and that the Hawks were now eons away from the notion of a championship-caliber level. In that case, given the age of the players and the tepid results, it was comprehensible to expect trades to follow. But most fans were of the opinion that someone other than Lenny and Babcock should be the ones pulling the strings, and in hindsight they were correct (Rider, Theo).

Unlike Babcock, I do think the Jamal deal his provided Sund enough fan-confidence to make things work this summer, whether that includes Joe or not.

In 1999, the core players Deke/Mookie/Smitty were 32, 31, and 29. I thought then and still think now that they had peaked, both individually and as teammates

Right now, our core players JJ/Smoove/Al are 28, 24, and 23. JJ and Smoove might have peaked as individual players (even high school players nearly always start hitting their peak around year 5), but I am not at all convinced that the trio has peaked as teammates.

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 1

In 1999, the core players Deke/Mookie/Smitty were 32, 31, and 29. I thought then and still think now that they had peaked, both individually and as teammates

Right now, our core players JJ/Smoove/Al are 28, 24, and 23. JJ and Smoove might have peaked as individual players (even high school players nearly always start hitting their peak around year 5), but I am not at all convinced that the trio has peaked as teammates.

True. Smoove hasn't peaked, he can get better in terms of impact. It's all about who he is playing with and what are his responsibilities. As teammates, I think they can get better but not on Orlando's or Cleveland's level.

Yep. Lets just keep the same team and get swept in the second round every year for the next 4,5 years.

Maybe we change the coach? Maybe we keep Joe or move him for a big man ( thats not going to be easy because most teams dont give up good big men). Maybe we move Marv or Josh for a key piece. Dont completely blow this up and dont let Joe walk for nothing. Unless you want to play the lottery gambel and trade them all for future picks and hope we win the lottery when the next Kobe or Dwight Howard come out, the Hawks usually dont have much luck with that though.

• Admin

That might have turned into a good trade had JR not been such a headcase. He has so much talent and it was wasted. Also, it took us a couple years to learn that JT can't run a team. It was to bad we were not able to draft Andre Miller that year instead.

Exactly.

True. Smoove hasn't peaked, he can get better in terms of impact. It's all about who he is playing with and what are his responsibilities. As teammates, I think they can get better but not on Orlando's or Cleveland's level.

One would hope he could develop a mid range jumper.

I don't think he tries hard in the off season. I just don't uinderstand how a man with his ability can be that bad of a shooter IF HE ACUTALLY PRACTICES THE CRAFT.

I don't mean shooting jumpers 30 minutes before games time. I mean 1,000 jumpers a day ,every day of the off season.

• Admin

I don't think he tries hard in the off season. I just don't uinderstand how a man with his ability can be that bad of a shooter IF HE ACUTALLY PRACTICES THE CRAFT.

I don't mean shooting jumpers 30 minutes before games time. I mean 1,000 jumpers a day ,every day of the off season.

I think Smith has kinda peaked. His low bbiq is what really holds him back and I don't see that improving.

Either he or Horford will have to be moved for us to bring in a starting center. Smith's trade value is very high right now and now is the oppurtunity to look at deals.

A change of scenery would be good for him too.

I think he can become a more efficient offensive player and become even smarter as a defensive player. He will probably not become a jump-shooter, he has to change his physical mechanics for that to happen. I do feel his close-mid(15ft in) range jumper is decent though. Smoove needs to work on his rebounding more, as well as being even smarter on the defensive end. He has a lot of defensive talent, we or whoever has him needs him to rival Dwight's defensive impact.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Moderators

I think Josh Smith is instantly better on offense if he isn't allowed outside the 3pt line.We haven't seen that scenario yet in his career. Hopefully, we will see that with our next coach.

I am with those who think this team is still young enough to keep building.

Smitty was actually 30 but had the knees of a 35 year old.

As our #1 scorer these were numbers on the 98-99 season.

18.7 PG / .402 FG% . .338 3FG%

That is putrid scoring efficiency. Smitty's says as a #1 scoring option were long gone in 1999.

Mookie was done too. He retired 2 years after we traded in him and was no where near the same player for Golden State that he was for Atlanta.

I think the 99 team should've been given a shot with a different coach. Lenny, much like Woody today had worn out his welcome in ATL and a new voice was needed. That same year, Doc Rivers was hired by Orlando. Not saying he was the best option but would've been a fresh beginning. They were too quick to get rid of Mookie and Smitty and should've just added some bench pieces and more athleticism. Back to today, I think the same holds true. Hire a new voice as HC and build around the core of this team. Al is definitely a keeper. Josh is very valuable but for the right price I'd be willing to part with him for either a viable starting C or a quick uptempo PG. This team should make the East playoffs next year with or without Joe. Don't expect to see another 10 year drought again.

That might have turned into a good trade had JR not been such a headcase. He has so much talent and it was wasted. Also, it took us a couple years to learn that JT can't run a team. It was to bad we were not able to draft Andre Miller that year instead.

What!?! He was a head case WAY before that trade. That's why it was such a panic driven horrible trade.It was a trade that had no shot at working and was one of Babs worst trades in his career.

I think the 99 team should've been given a shot with a different coach. Lenny, much like Woody today had worn out his welcome in ATL and a new voice was needed. That same year, Doc Rivers was hired by Orlando. Not saying he was the best option but would've been a fresh beginning. They were too quick to get rid of Mookie and Smitty and should've just added some bench pieces and more athleticism. Back to today, I think the same holds true. Hire a new voice as HC and build around the core of this team. Al is definitely a keeper. Josh is very valuable but for the right price I'd be willing to part with him for either a viable starting C or a quick uptempo PG. This team should make the East playoffs next year with or without Joe. Don't expect to see another 10 year drought again.

I agree. It's true that team was aging but it was still a very very good team. A new head coach and some better bench depth and that team had a couple of more runs left in them for sure. Broke my heart to hear Smitty was traded for a POS like Rider.