• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks fans reacting like Children.

Diesel

Why would you be happy when the team you care about just got waxed 4 times on national tv? They didnt play. They coasted. It was a slap in the face after a good season. I love the Hawks, and I love the players, but as fans we deserve to see the best effort everynight.

Watching Joe suck a fat sack, and Josh whine like he just got his juice box stolen made me want to kill myself.

The fans have supported this team , are passionate about this team , and without a doubt in my mind would support this team

Complete BS.

- The Hawks were a top 5 to 10 team the entire season, but I think they finished 18th in attendance. A higher percentage went to see the Hawks when they were on the road, than when we played at home. Even the Knicks drew more than us at home.

- The low attendance numbers are explained by most in Atlanta by saying that:

1) traffic is just soooooo bad, that we always either get to the game late, or we don't go at all

2) the ticket prices are too high ( despite us not even being in the top 10 in ticket prices

3) that are too many out of towners who live in ATL, so they don't really like the Hawks ( and will always support their hometown team when they come to Philips )

- I personally witnessed 30% of the crowd walk out of Philips after JJ missed a shot to win the game. They walked out on the Hawks, despite the game GOING INTO OVERTIME. On a Sunday evening in early March, there were maybe 11,000 in the building to see us play the ( at the time ) red hot Milwaukee Bucks. When JJ missed that shot, literally 3 - 4,000 people walked out of that arena.

The Hawks get down by 5 early in the OT, and anothet 1,000 fans walk out before the game was over. The Hawks ( mainly JJ ) then decided to play ball, took the lead, and ended up winning the game . . . in front of about 7,000 of us still in the arena.

Keep it real about this fan base as a whole. Passionate is NOT a word to use to describe Hawks fans as a whole. Only a few thousand of us are passionate. The rest of the fan base treat a Hawks game like going to the movies, a play, or a music concert.

As for JJ, some fans started booing JJ in Game 3, before he even had a chance to get going. Those fans, after we fell behind, went into complete negativitiy mode, booing the Hawks and especially JJ for every bad play they made in that quarter.

This was BEFORE JJ made his commet about he could "care less if the fans showed up"

Shoot, if they were going to boo him even before he got going, I probaly would've felt the same way. I wouldn't have said it publically. But I definitely would've felt that way.

The booing in Game 3 was out of frustration, like JJ's comments were. But the booing at the start of Game 4 was a travesty. They were booing JJ like Boston fans did Bibby and Bucks fans did Smoove. It was an embarrassing display by some of our fans.

That's not passion. That's just the fans wanting negative attention.

Complete BS.

- The Hawks were a top 5 to 10 team the entire season, but I think they finished 18th in attendance. A higher percentage went to see the Hawks when they were on the road, than when we played at home. Even the Knicks drew more than us at home.

- The low attendance numbers are explained by most in Atlanta by saying that:

1) traffic is just soooooo bad, that we always either get to the game late, or we don't go at all

2) the ticket prices are too high ( despite us not even being in the top 10 in ticket prices

3) that are too many out of towners who live in ATL, so they don't really like the Hawks ( and will always support their hometown team when they come to Philips )

- I personally witnessed 30% of the crowd walk out of Philips after JJ missed a shot to win the game. They walked out on the Hawks, despite the game GOING INTO OVERTIME. On a Sunday evening in early March, there were maybe 11,000 in the building to see us play the ( at the time ) red hot Milwaukee Bucks. When JJ missed that shot, literally 3 - 4,000 people walked out of that arena.

The Hawks get down by 5 early in the OT, and another 1,000 fans walk out before the game was over. The Hawks ( mainly JJ ) then decided to play ball, took the lead, and ended up winning the game . . . in front of about 7,000 of us still in the arena.

Keep it real about this fan base as a whole. Passionate is NOT a word to use to describe Hawks fans as a whole. Only a few thousand of us are passionate. The rest of the fan base treat a Hawks game like going to the movies, a play, or a music concert.

As for JJ, some fans started booing JJ in Game 3, before he even had a chance to get going. Those fans, after we fell behind, went into complete negativitiy mode, booing the Hawks and especially JJ for every bad play they made in that quarter.

This was BEFORE JJ made his commet about he could "care less if the fans showed up"

Shoot, if they were going to boo him even before he got going, I probaly would've felt the same way. I wouldn't have said it publically. But I definitely would've felt that way.

The booing in Game 3 was out of frustration, like JJ's comments were. But the booing at the start of Game 4 was a travesty. They were booing JJ like Boston fans did Bibby and Bucks fans did Smoove. It was an embarrassing display by some of our fans.

That's not passion. That's just the fans wanting negative attention.

I think the Atlanta fans let an underachieving Hawks team understand their displeasure. To discount 11, or 12thousand fans or whatever the number of fans that pay the price of a ticket as having no passion simply because their numbers aren't as great as notorious basketball cities ( who coincidentally , mostly do whatever in their power to put a winner on the floor ) is bs.

Sit their with a straight face and tell me what the most exciting thing the Hawks management has done in the last 5 -6 years to excite the fan base ? They get a no man coach that has no offensive game plan , and their biggest splash was signing a virtual unknown ( at the time ) inJoe Johnson . Tell me we didnt know before the year started we needed inside help ?

You want to pack Phillips with an arena full of passionate fans ? Play with heart , and have the owners stop being cheap sob's and get the pieces and the coach to put this team over the top and re energize the fan base.

Edited by OldTimeHawk

• Premium Member

I'll address these parts

- seems child-like to start a post titled 'It's Marvin's fault'. Who did that?

- I saw several posts from someone this post season predicting Hawks in the Finals so whoever that poster was I guess thought we would win the series against the Magic. I think his name Darrell or something.

-Here is what I would expect Joe to say:

"They (fans) deserve to be pissed off. The way we played, the fans deserve to be upset, If your team lost by 30 in the playoffs, wouldn't you be upset? If you get blown out like that, effort is always a factor.''

- yes i'd be happier if Joe hadn't said anything

Oh, so I see now... your addressing points is you really trying to find fault with other posts on the board? Great. Doesn't change the truth does it?

• Premium Member

That is sooooo untrue! If you knew your son studied and studied for a test but still didn't pass you would be still proud of him. If you knew your son didn't try to study at all you would be pissed if he didn't pass.

The same goes for the Hawks. We saw and have heard many HOF guys say it is very hard to lose like we have been losing. It shows that we didn't word hard or even try on some many plays.

This is why Hawks fans are so pissed. They thou they could just go into these playoffs and win on their skills alone. There is talk of when the Hawks went to Mil-Buck they had a limo waiting their to take them to Chicago to get some clubin on.

This is not a team trying very hard to win a game.

The question is if you son didn't try his hardest because of frustration, do you disown him? Do you kick him out the house and tell him you don't need him anymore? If he had been an A student to this point and had this one failure, do you say, Son, I am so disgusted with you... that I want you gone. Do you call your son stupid idiot while he's taking that test? Are you calling him stupid in the car on the way to school?

• Premium Member

Why would you be happy when the team you care about just got waxed 4 times on national tv? They didnt play. They coasted. It was a slap in the face after a good season. I love the Hawks, and I love the players, but as fans we deserve to see the best effort everynight.

Watching Joe suck a fat sack, and Josh whine like he just got his juice box stolen made me want to kill myself.

Who said anything about happy? Nobody is happy?

I said Hawks fans reactions.... are like that of Children. So we lost. It was a bad lost. So now you just want to dismantle the team? Don't you think that's an overreaction? We've only seen this team with 1 coach... ever. 1 coach. We all can point out the coaching mistakes in this series. For years, we have noted that this coach doesn't have a leash for Smoove or Joe when they are doing things bench worthy. So instead of wanting to see what we can do with another better coach.. you say, let's just throw it all away???

That's the gist of my post.

Not that I'm happy!!!

• Premium Member

"It's Marvins Fault" type of threads are pretty childish if you ask me...

Dude, it's the whole team's fault, but we have yet to have any meaningful conversation of what needs to change. Marvin starting is the first thing on the list after we get a new coach.

• Premium Member

The fans have supported this team , are passionate about this team , and without a doubt in my mind would support this team however they did ,sweep or not if the gameplan was sound and the effort was there.

You cannot be serious. Atlanta fans do not support the Hawks.

We have been one of the best home teams in the league this year. The only time we have sellouts is when Lebron, Kobe, KD, and a few others come to town.. and the only reason we looked full in games 3 and 4 of this series is because tickets were being given away so that it wouldn't be so freakin pitiful.

Where's the real Support OldTime??

In our time of adversity.. what do these supporter do? They boo our players.

That's support for you.

if adversity is not showing up ( the Hawks being MIA ) , yep , the fans booed . Lucky it wasn't NY , they would have been throwing things. We have great fans , they just aren't going to support a team wholeheartedly when they don't feel like ownership is 100 percent behind the team . You want a packed house , let ownership do their part instead of trying to do it on the cheap.

Odds are ,if they don't keep Woody ( wouldnt surpise me ) , they will underwhelm everyone with their choice.

• Premium Member

if adversity is not showing up ( the Hawks being MIA ) , yep , the fans booed . Lucky it wasn't NY , they would have been throwing things. We have great fans , they just aren't going to support a team wholeheartedly when they don't feel like ownership is 100 percent behind the team . You want a packed house , let ownership do their part instead of trying to do it on the cheap.

Odds are ,if they don't keep Woody ( wouldnt surpise me ) , they will underwhelm everyone with their choice.

So let's see... Fans booing at you makes you in game 3 at home makes you want to come out and compete or not? How about in game 4, fans booing at you everytime you touch the ball.. do yo want to compete or not?

My thing is this. These fans didn't pay to get into the game. They showed the same two facedness that we have seen through this franchise for the last 20 years... a fanbase that is very quick to give the stick but rarely gives the carrot.

Joe has been here for 5 years. He's been one of the best players in the league... but it seems like all he ever got from Hawks fans (regardless of what he did) was the stick.

• Moderators

Oh, so I see now... your addressing points is you really trying to find fault with other posts on the board? Great. Doesn't change the truth does it?

I don't understand what that means. Do you mean the truth that the board is childlike? I took 3 questions you asked and answered them. I guess you meant them as rhetorical. But to recap more concisely:

It seemed like you thought we'd get past the Magic. Joe should have said that fans deserved to be pissed. And yes I'd be happier if Joe hadn't said anything. Seems like venting, complaining, and talking about the Hawks is what we're here for.

My thing is this. These fans didn't pay to get into the game. They showed the same two facedness that we have seen through this franchise for the last 20 years... a fanbase that is very quick to give the stick but rarely gives the carrot.

I paid to go to every Hawks game this season, and I booed them like crazy at the end, because there was nothing left to cheer for.

They should have competed harder. Orlando owns them there is no doubt there but you can still scratch and claw. Dont go out like a bunch of punks. That said I dont want the team blown up. I would like to see some changes to shake things up a little.

Edited by NJHAWK

The question is if you son didn't try his hardest because of frustration, do you disown him? Do you kick him out the house and tell him you don't need him anymore? If he had been an A student to this point and had this one failure, do you say, Son, I am so disgusted with you... that I want you gone. Do you call your son stupid idiot while he's taking that test? Are you calling him stupid in the car on the way to school?

No, you don't kick him out. If he is old enough, yes. lol

By the way, they didn't fail one test but many.

What do you do? You Boo/whoop a little booty. That is all that was.

That's what wrong with this world today... too dang soft. The fans pay their money to see you play and you come out like you don't give a crap.

After you have been giving him nothing but love, putting food on the table and clothes on his back. Now that you show how disappointed you are with him for the first time your son tells you to pretty much,F-OFF What would you do? Say I'm sorry, I should not be pissed?

• Premium Member

What bothers me more is the knee-jerking I'm hearing all over the place. JJ sucks and should be traded. Smoove sucks and should be traded. Blow up the whole team and start new. Trade for Iverson and TMac! People ignore the fact that this team won over 50 games with no discipline, guys out of position, and a crap-tacular game plan. They ignore the individual accomplishments of these guys - like Josh Smith who is doing things at his size that have never been done before.

All this team needs is some tweaking and a better coach. That's what real teams do. They make the moves that make a difference. They tank when it's time to tank. They draft the right players. They play the young guys when it's time to play them. They trade for players who are better fits but NOT at the expense of talent. THEY GET RID OF COACHES LIKE IT'S NOBODY'S BUSINESS. (I can't believe how long we debated it...)

Is it any wonder that this team hasn't done anything in nearly 40 years!? Discounting expansion teams, I don't think there is another team in the NBA that can match that level of mediocrity. There are expansion teams that have come in and done more than us. The Atlanta Hawks have never been relevant because we've just never been able to "get it." Come to think of it...I think there is a non-expansion franchise that may be worse than us - the Clippers.

Yay for mediocrity!

• Like 1

When did Atlanta fans start deserving the right to boo anybody? Most of the crowd was there because the tickets were given to them by the ASG. So don't tell me about how loyal the fans have been. The fans have not supported one of the best Home teams in the NBA and in playoff time, with free tickets in hand.. what do they do? They boo the team's only star... Yeah... That's very good.

I was with you until this line. Don't ever tell a fan sitting at home or in a seat at the game that they don't have a right to boo. If you want automatic cheerers then put mp3 recordings in the seats. You should listen to the Hubie interview posted. Fans pay the salaries, whether by attending the games or buying the products of advertisers who funnel money to the players thru tv contracts. Fans are the boss. Go tell your boss what he can and can't do and see how far that gets you.

Players are the babies that can't handle their boss telling them when they do a lousy job. Grow up players. You want to earn multimillion dollar salaries. Then show you deserve it by at least getting past the 6th grade mentality that we fans owe them our adoration. Geesh.

Edited by Endy9

• Premium Member

I was with you until this line. Don't ever tell a fan sitting at home or in a seat at the game that they don't have a right to boo. If you want automatic cheerers then put mp3 recordings in the seats. You should listen to the Hubie interview posted. Fans pay the salaries, whether by attending the games or buying the products of advertisers who funnel money to the players thru tv contracts. Fans are the boss. Go tell your boss what he can and can't do and see how far that gets you.

Players are the babies that can't handle their boss telling them when they do a lousy job. Grow up players. You want to earn multimillion dollar salaries. Then show you deserve it by at least getting past the 6th grade mentality that we fans owe them our adoration. Geesh.

These fans (for the most part) didn't pay for their ticket. They were handed a ticket. They don't buy the merchandise. They don't regularly follow the team.

In fact, if there are real fans at these games.. where are they during the regular season when Kobe and Lebron shows up and the Hawks fans (supposed) cheer those guys on and boo the Hawks.

You can give me as many negatives as you feel necessary, it still doesn't change the truth. We have the most laid back, non-vocal fans in the world until it's time to boo and then they do it in the middle of the playoffs when everything is on the line. When I would go to the Hawks game, we would call the OMNI the Library because you could actually hear the players calling plays. After 20 years.. that hasn't changed. Then the time when the fans should be cheering the Hawks the loudest, what do they do??? They boo them. If I were a player, I wouldn't want to play for those ingrates either.

• Like 1

These fans (for the most part) didn't pay for their ticket. They were handed a ticket. They don't buy the merchandise. They don't regularly follow the team.

In fact, if there are real fans at these games.. where are they during the regular season when Kobe and Lebron shows up and the Hawks fans (supposed) cheer those guys on and boo the Hawks.

You can give me as many negatives as you feel necessary, it still doesn't change the truth. We have the most laid back, non-vocal fans in the world until it's time to boo and then they do it in the middle of the playoffs when everything is on the line. When I would go to the Hawks game, we would call the OMNI the Library because you could actually hear the players calling plays. After 20 years.. that hasn't changed. Then the time when the fans should be cheering the Hawks the loudest, what do they do??? They boo them. If I were a player, I wouldn't want to play for those ingrates either.

Where do I get these mythical free tickets?

You cannot be serious. Atlanta fans do not support the Hawks.

We have been one of the best home teams in the league this year. The only time we have sellouts is when Lebron, Kobe, KD, and a few others come to town.. and the only reason we looked full in games 3 and 4 of this series is because tickets were being given away so that it wouldn't be so freakin pitiful.

Where's the real Support OldTime??

In our time of adversity.. what do these supporter do? They boo our players.

That's support for you.

Atlanta does not support the Hawks. I'm a first year season ticket holder and am originally from the Boston area, I know what it looks like when a city supports a team.

They have a state of the art facility that really isn't difficult to get to (parking at CNN Center is easy, come on). It's a nice building, it's clean, and the CNN Center before the game is an added attraction.

Tickets are cheap as hell. They advertised the chick-fil-a 4 packs to death (4 tickets and meals for $89, like 18 something games)......the Wednesday night $15 Lucky Dog tickets for the 300 levels*, military and college discounts...........

To say that the city supports the Hawks is really not true in any sense. The Hawks tore it up at home and to start the season, didn't lose at home the first 4 weeks of the season. 4 weeks they didn't lose at home! And several of those games were blowouts (we embarrassed Denver, Utah, Miami).

*opening night was Oct 28th, a Wed night, and they had the $15 seats. It was not close to sold out, neither was two nights later.........but we played Indiana and Washington, not Lebron and Kobe.