• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Avery Johnson to be interviewed!

warcore

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS

I hope he impresses.

I am SMH @ people who want Casey and/or Corbin instead of Avery.

Don't be. The Mavs lost four straight after being up 2-0 against the Heat. Then got beat by the lowly Warriors in the 1st round; Mavs were the #1 seed. Devin Harris was basicly traded because of the way Avery did not utilize him.

Anyone who thinks he took the Mavs somewhere special should go out and read the Mavs board. He is a decent X's and O's coach but is to emotionally immature to get a team to play consistent in the playoffs; while also developing young talent during the regular season.

I do not like him as a championship level coach at all. He will be a upgrade over Woody and a stop gap as far as I am concerned until we find one.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

Don't be. The Mavs lost four straight after being up 2-0 against the Heat. Then got beat by the lowly Warriors in the 1st round; Mavs were the #1 seed. Devin Harris was basicly traded because of the way Avery did not utilize him.

Anyone who thinks he took the Mavs somewhere special should go out and read the Mavs board. He is a decent X's and O's coach but is to emotionally immature to get a team to play consistent in the playoffs; while also developing young talent during the regular season.

Harris loves Avery: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/nets/harris_pushing_avery_for_nets_LOIbUGfCm9m8HkTVvSfn3J#ixzz0kOjf7rns

Harris admitted that he wouldn't be the PG he is today without Avery. ( Shot 49% under Avery compared to 40% with Nets this year; so he was much more efficient under Avery)

Buzzard im not saying he is a perfect coach, but IMO he is the best available. Who do you want Dwane Casey? Tyrone Corbin (Woody 2.0?; Sloan loves Corbin like Larry Brown loves Woody)

Edited by GameTime

I do not like him as a championship level coach at all. He will be a upgrade over Woody and a stop gap as far as I am concerned until we find one.

I'm pretty sure Devin Harris was traded because that's the only piece that could net them Jason Kidd.

And about the series against the Heat.....that's when I REALLY knew the NBA was fixed.

I'm pretty sure Devin Harris was traded because that's the only piece that could net them Jason Kidd.

And about the series against the Heat.....that's when I REALLY knew the NBA was fixed.

What about the year after that when Dallas was a #1 seed and lost to the #8 seeded Warriors? That was a complete debacle by Dallas. Plus I can't stand Avery's voice and that alone is one reason why I don't want him. I don't see why you all think Avery is so good anyways. He has done NOTHING mostly as a HC in the NBA. He had a loaded Mavs team and choked in the playoffs every year which is why Cuban fired him.

• Premium Member

+1. The problem is paying out the kazoo for a "stop gap." I was not impressed with Avery when he was in Dallas, where he (like he would be here) took over for a somewhat demented predecessor.

If Devin would have been averaging 15 and 6 any of his seasons in Dallas; chances are pretty good he would not have been traded.

If the NBA really had the Shaq/Wade fix in, for the sake of TV revenue alone, the series would have at least played out the full seven games.

What about the history making series against the Warriors? Was that a fix also?

Mavs collapsed in both series.

These are my opinions and we just will have to differ on Avery. But like I said; he will still be a Xs and Os upgrade over Woody.

What about the year after that when Dallas was a #1 seed and lost to the #8 seeded Warriors? That was a complete debacle by Dallas. Plus I can't stand Avery's voice and that alone is one reason why I don't want him. I don't see why you all think Avery is so good anyways. He has done NOTHING mostly as a HC in the NBA. He had a loaded Mavs team and choked in the playoffs every year which is why Cuban fired him.

Loaded? lol

He won 67 games with a Dirk-Jason Terry-Josh Howard "Big 3".

Edited by GameTime

If you don't remember Josh Howard was a very good player back then plus they had solid bigs on that roster. Either way they still choked big time 2 years in a row in the playoffs. Is that what we need again after Woody doing the EXACT same thing? Have a great regular season but choke in the playoffs?

• Like 2

Like I said in the other Avery Johnson thread, it would be worth it just to see him get in Smooves grill and do this :slap1: Hopefully Jeff Teague can handle his style of coaching and doesnt get his spirit broken.

• Like 1

This is great news! I dont want Casey!!! He is another laid back "defensive coach" who won't command any respect from Smoove & Co.

We need a fiery coach like Avery who will demand respect from the players.

If Sund hires Casey I will be EXTREMELY disappointed to say the least.

How far did Don Nelson take the Mavs ?

How far did Rick Carlisle take the Mavs ?

Niether took them as far as AJ did. The truth is that JT / D. Harris guard situation was never going to work.

AJ was also a cerebral 5'10'' starting PG for the championship Spurs under Coach Pop.

I like AJ alot.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

You guys honestly think a midget with an extremely annoying, high pitch voice is going to command respect of players especially Smoove? Please provide me some reasons on why you think he can get through to our players.

Niether took them as far as AJ did. The truth is that JT / D. Harris guard situation was never going to work.

AJ was also a cerebral 5'10'' PG for the championship Spurs under Coach Pop.

I like AJ alot.

This. If AJ wants us, we want him.

AJ was also a cerebral 5'10'' PG for the championship Spurs under Coach Pop.

I like AJ alot.

Yes JT cannot be a sixth man and spell the PG and SG while still getting in 30 to 35 minutes a game. Come on coach; that is exactly what has kept JT on the Mavs all these years. If every cerebal PG that played for a HOF coach turned into a great NBA coach; there would be no shortage of great coaches in the NBA.....

I do not think Avery is a championship level coach but he would be a upgrade over Woody. Right up until he blew a 1st round series and then he would lose his players just like he lost the Mavs players. And IMO the Mavs players who lost confidence in him where a better team than we are right now. We are just going to have to disagree on this one.