• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Avery Johnson to be interviewed!

warcore

Yes JT cannot be a sixth man and spell the PG and SG while still getting in 30 to 35 minutes a game. Come on coach; that is exactly what has kept JT on the Mavs all these years. If every cerebal PG that played for a HOF coach turned into a great NBA coach; there would be no shortage of great coaches in the NBA.....

Your only remembering the years you want to remember. Being a 6th man is not what JT was during their Finals run or the year season after that.

Jason Terry started all 80 games that he played in 2005-06. (The year the Mavs went to the Finals). Harris only started 4 games in 2005-06 at the age of 22.

In 2006-07 Terry started in 80 of his 81 games.

In 2007-08 they made the Harris / Kidd trade hoping Kidd had a enough in the tank to lead them back to the Finals.

Your only remembering the years you want to remember. Being a 6th man is not what JT was during their Finals run or the year season after that.

Jason Terry started all 80 games that he played in 2005-06. (The year the Mavs went to the Finals). Harris only started 4 games in 2005-06 at the age of 22.

In 2006-07 Terry started in 80 of his 81 games.

In 2007-08 they made the Harris / Kidd trade hoping Kidd had a enough in the tank to lead them back to the Finals.

No coach I did not say JT was only a good 6th man for them. In six seasons, he has started over half their games three times; and come off the bench the other three seasons. My point was he can and has been a sixth man; and could have easily co-existed with Harris starting. Which you said in your previous post could not happen....

Here is your statement:

The truth is that JT / D. Harris guard situation was never going to work.

Edited by Buzzard

No coach I did not say JT was only a good 6th man for them. In six seasons, he has started over half their games three times; and come off the bench the other three seasons. My point was he can and has been a sixth man; and could have easily co-existed with Harris starting. Which you said in your previous post could not happen....

Here is your statement:

The truth is that JT / D. Harris guard situation was never going to work.

Sorry..................I still can't see JT and Harris playing together on the court for 20 minuntes a night. I'm just not signing up for that.

I'm not a big fan of mini-me back courts.

Don't be. The Mavs lost four straight after being up 2-0 against the Heat. Then got beat by the lowly Warriors in the 1st round; Mavs were the #1 seed. Devin Harris was basicly traded because of the way Avery did not utilize him.

Anyone who thinks he took the Mavs somewhere special should go out and read the Mavs board. He is a decent X's and O's coach but is to emotionally immature to get a team to play consistent in the playoffs; while also developing young talent during the regular season.

I do not like him as a championship level coach at all. He will be a upgrade over Woody and a stop gap as far as I am concerned until we find one.

He did not impress with the Mavs, do think he would be an upgrade.

Here is an interesting link on Avery Johnson.

http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2008/5/3/472331/the-night-avery-johnson-lo

In short, after the Denver loss, Avery Johnson lost his perspective on the team, what it needed to do, what HE needed to do, and, perhaps most importantly, the value of listening to advice from others. His response was extreme, and it reverted the Mavericks back to the team that lost in the first round of the playoffs the previous season: A one-dimensional iso-focused offensive team that was eminently beatable in a series. Even worse, it was clear as the season wore on that Avery's reversion to his system adversely affected his players, which affected their effort, especially on the defensive end.

The stuff I'm reading on Avery Johnson suggests that he is a micromanager who isn't going to give his players a lot of freedom to play. He is going to stress defense, which I like, but it also looks like that he favors walking the ball up the floor and having his guys look to him for the play.

Sorry..................I still can't see JT and Harris playing together on the court for 20 minuntes a night. I'm just not signing up for that.

I'm not a big fan of mini-me back courts.

You must not be much of a fan of Kidd/ JT either...

Kidd 6'4" 210

Harris 6'3" 190

I honestly would like my chances if I could get JJ matched up against any of these three: JT, Kidd, or Harris. But again I do not see a big difference between either a Kidd/JT mini-me or a Harris/JT mini me....

You guys honestly think a midget with an extremely annoying, high pitch voice is going to command respect of players especially Smoove? Please provide me some reasons on why you think he can get through to our players.

it's more of just a weird voice than high pitched. And if you're worried about him coaching smoove, please look at Josh Howard. As someone stated, Josh Howard was good BACK THEN. Why? Because Avery had him disciplined and his head was on straight. Look at Josh Howard now....garbage

• Premium Member

If you don't remember Josh Howard was a very good player back then plus they had solid bigs on that roster. Either way they still choked big time 2 years in a row in the playoffs. Is that what we need again after Woody doing the EXACT same thing? Have a great regular season but choke in the playoffs?

Josh Howard's game isn't much different. Avery was able to get the best out of him. Also... That team overall was weak. They didn't have a stitch of defensive player yet they played good defense. They didn't have a bench to speak of, yet they were a 60 win team. Lastly, losing in the first round to your former coach is not that big of a sin. You don't think that Nellie didn't know every weakness that existed on that Dallas team? You think after a few years of being head coach of Dallas that he forgot where Dirk likes to shoot or how to defend JT?

I like it when people look back on history without a respect for the full history.

For instance, if Woody coaches Philly, you better believe that they will have the jump on our players just like we had the Jump on Detroit during his first few years coaching.

• Like 1

Ill take Avery Johnson.

Who do you guys consider a championship level coach? All the ones i know of already have jobs. I want a coach who has at least coached at that level. I dont want another assistant coach. I hope we get AJ.