• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Diesel Speaks...

Diesel

• Premium Member

In no Order.

1. Avery Johnson = I think Avery will be expensive. I think Avery is a good X and O guy but his main skill is motivation. He got a lot out of that Dallas group. I think the players will listen to him. I think he'd really be good for Teague.

2. Casey = All I see when I see Casey is Mike Woodson pt. 2. I think he may be a better defensive coach than Woody. However, I think he's just as bad in his attention to offense. At Minny, his teams lacked motivation. I don't think our guys would listen to him.

3. Jeff Van Gundy = See Avery Johnson. I think Van Gundy's weakness is similar to Casey.. No attention to offense. I think Van Gundy would instill some toughness though.. and I know our guys will listen.

4. Ty Corbin = It's hard to tell what Corbin would be. Corbin could be good like Scott and AJ, but he could be terrible. Many thinks he's ready. However, I have him down as Sloan's successor.

5. Byron Scott = This would be my top choice...after Doc Rivers. I think Scott has the Xs and Os or is smart enough to get good people around him. 2 NBA finals with the Nets? They didn't have much. He's really good with PGs. His defenses are mediocre.

6. Doc Rivers = Return of the King. I think Rivers would come to Atlanta. I think he would do well with our guys. I think he would take us to the finals. The problem is I think he's loyal to KG and Pierce so that's 1 more year.

7. Sam Mitchell. This is my best economy coach. I think Mitchell is probably the best X and O guy mentioned so far. I think his problem will be motivation. He motivated Bosh and a bunch of Euro guys to play defense, but will he be the tough guy that Josh needs to get him in line? I don't know. I don't know if he has it in him to bench Smoove or to put a fire under Marvin.

8. Mike Fratello. I remember the Fratello years. And many of us long for the czar to come back to Atlanta. I think Mike's best coaching job was in Cleveland when he used a stunning attack of Shawn Kemp and a bunch of shooters (Persons etc). I had some questions about the Memphis stint... Namely What was that. The game may have passed him by.

9. Lawrence Frank. Did you see those last years in NJ? Made it look like he rode Scott's wave. Don't know what to think...

10. Mike Dunleavy Sr. Is he available? If so, I have always like the way that he managed talent. I put him in as a Rudy T. kinda guy.

Damn......Doc Rivers would be a freaking dream hire. I think he owes it to Ainge and the BOS guys to fulfill next season. Then again......this is sports. Okay the pipe dream is over lol. I really like Byron Scott as a candidate. He got a bad deal in N.O. My only fear of hiring A.J. is that he might become to "cliche" if you know what I mean. Scott has the drive and demeanor to keep a guy like Smoove's attention span longer in my opinion. I would be alright with 1) Scott 2) AJ 3) Mitchell in that order.

In no Order.

1. Avery Johnson = I think Avery will be expensive. I think Avery is a good X and O guy but his main skill is motivation. He got a lot out of that Dallas group. I think the players will listen to him. I think he'd really be good for Teague.

2. Casey = All I see when I see Casey is Mike Woodson pt. 2. I think he may be a better defensive coach than Woody. However, I think he's just as bad in his attention to offense. At Minny, his teams lacked motivation. I don't think our guys would listen to him.

3. Jeff Van Gundy = See Avery Johnson. I think Van Gundy's weakness is similar to Casey.. No attention to offense. I think Van Gundy would instill some toughness though.. and I know our guys will listen.

4. Ty Corbin = It's hard to tell what Corbin would be. Corbin could be good like Scott and AJ, but he could be terrible. Many thinks he's ready. However, I have him down as Sloan's successor.

5. Byron Scott = This would be my top choice...after Doc Rivers. I think Scott has the Xs and Os or is smart enough to get good people around him. 2 NBA finals with the Nets? They didn't have much. He's really good with PGs. His defenses are mediocre.

6. Doc Rivers = Return of the King. I think Rivers would come to Atlanta. I think he would do well with our guys. I think he would take us to the finals. The problem is I think he's loyal to KG and Pierce so that's 1 more year.

7. Sam Mitchell. This is my best economy coach. I think Mitchell is probably the best X and O guy mentioned so far. I think his problem will be motivation. He motivated Bosh and a bunch of Euro guys to play defense, but will he be the tough guy that Josh needs to get him in line? I don't know. I don't know if he has it in him to bench Smoove or to put a fire under Marvin.

8. Mike Fratello. I remember the Fratello years. And many of us long for the czar to come back to Atlanta. I think Mike's best coaching job was in Cleveland when he used a stunning attack of Shawn Kemp and a bunch of shooters (Persons etc). I had some questions about the Memphis stint... Namely What was that. The game may have passed him by.

9. Lawrence Frank. Did you see those last years in NJ? Made it look like he rode Scott's wave. Don't know what to think...

10. Mike Dunleavy Sr. Is he available? If so, I have always like the way that he managed talent. I put him in as a Rudy T. kinda guy.

You don't think Sam Mitchell would be able to handle smoove? From the little time I watched him coach it seems like Sam had a short fuse. I remember one game we played against the raps, the ref had called a foul in favor of the Hawks and it seemed like he had some choice words for Woodsen, was even walking in the direction of Woody.

Edited by Blunt91

You don't think Sam Mitchell would be able to handle smoove? From the little time I watched him coach it seems like Sam had a short fuse. I remember one game we played against the raps, the ref had called a foul in favor of the Hawks and it seemed like he had some choice words for Woodsen, was even walking in the direction of Woody.

Didn't Sam Mitchell also want to fight one of his players? can't remember who though.

• Premium Member

My problem is that I don't know. I want to believe that Mitch would. I like Mitchell. Like I said, I would take him over every assistant, Frank, Fratello, and Van Gundy. However, my question is can he push the guys who really need pushing. It's hard to say because in Toronto, he had guys who wanted to produce.

yet again good post diesel and this was something i was looking for somebody to post. Yeah man honestly i feel ya on you opnion on every coach you listed except sam mitchell, I think he can hold his own ground very well. but the others i couldnt agree more man! especially with what you said about casey! I mean dude is a good guy and all but man he scares me so much i would be torn if the ASG signed him! Casey is prob better defense coach than woody but like you said prob a worst offense coach than woody and thats our problem now. we dont need to be looking for another dominant defense coach. Man Im just hoping and praying we sign Avery Johnson, Byron Scott, or Sam Mitchell. Cause Im telling you man Casey is going to upset some fans including the ASG if they take a risk on him and also i think we should add monty williams to that list. I think he can be a good coach from what his resume sounds like.

I don't know where you came up with Sam Mitchell as the best X and O coach. I believe in another post KB 21 has a link talking about how Mitchell when coaching at Toronto was one of the worst. So where do you come up with him being good at X and O?

P

• Premium Member

I don't know where you came up with Sam Mitchell as the best X and O coach. I believe in another post KB 21 has a link talking about how Mitchell when coaching at Toronto was one of the worst. So where do you come up with him being good at X and O?

P

Did you ever watch Toronto while Mitchell was there?

He played an uptempo offense which converted easily to a halfcourt offense.

In this game against the spurs, I want you to check out the spacing. Check out the way that players make the next pass without hesitation and they always find the right man.

Notice again... Mitch's team are prepared. They are well coached and aware. There are several videos like this. The other thing is that he did this with Chris Bosh and a bunch of role players... like Jamario Moon and Bargnani.

You do realize to the right of the post title it says who the topic starter is don't you? Do you really need to post "Diesel..." in every one of your posts? Between you and Nort your heads should fill up Phillips every game. That would at least take care of North's Phillips issue. Your thread titles make me not even want to click on them. Now be a man and own up to your Lebron booing thread at least.

• Moderators

You do realize to the right of the post title it says who the topic starter is don't you? Do you really need to post "Diesel..." in every one of your posts? Between you and Nort your heads should fill up Phillips every game. That would at least take care of North's Phillips issue. Your thread titles make me not even want to click on them. Now be a man and own up to your Lebron booing thread at least.

Knock off the personal shots here. If this starts into a back and forth, the thread will be locked and warnings issued.

• Premium Member

Speak on it Diesel. lol What would the Squawk be without it...but anywho...

I agree with what you've said...except about Sam Mitchell. The guy is known for getting into his players' faces. Not a guy that I see letting Smoove take 50 foot jumpers all night. Unlike many people though, being defensive oriented doesn't bother me at all. Defense is what wins championships. The problem with Mike Woodson wasn't that he was too defensive oriented. The problem was the man honestly believed that these guys could play playground ball and win big games.

Hence you have JJ and crawford dribbling for 20 seconds. Smoove taking long jumpers and ill advised shots. No development of Horf in the post. Marvin standing around like a robot. Woodson's refusal to do anything with the offense is why the guys that were good at going one on one excelled (JJ, Flip, Craw) and the passive/team player guys got held down (Chill, Marvin, & Diaw).

I want someone that can motivate, truly knows the game on both ends, and will give everyone a fair shake. (*ahem*Fratello*ahem)

• Premium Member

Speak on it Diesel. lol What would the Squawk be without it...but anywho...

I agree with what you've said...except about Sam Mitchell. The guy is known for getting into his players' faces. Not a guy that I see letting Smoove take 50 foot jumpers all night. Unlike many people though, being defensive oriented doesn't bother me at all. Defense is what wins championships. The problem with Mike Woodson wasn't that he was too defensive oriented. The problem was the man honestly believed that these guys could play playground ball and win big games.

Hence you have JJ and crawford dribbling for 20 seconds. Smoove taking long jumpers and ill advised shots. No development of Horf in the post. Marvin standing around like a robot. Woodson's refusal to do anything with the offense is why the guys that were good at going one on one excelled (JJ, Flip, Craw) and the passive/team player guys got held down (Chill, Marvin, & Diaw).

I want someone that can motivate, truly knows the game on both ends, and will give everyone a fair shake. (*ahem*Fratello*ahem)

I believe that Woody has soured me towards defensive oriented coaches. First off, I think we need a coach who can get the most out of his players... this is where I think Mitchell excells. I don't want to go the route of a guy doing On the Job training. This is the problem we had with Woody. He had been an NBA champion assistant but when he came to us, he was as green as could be about several things.... clock management, offense, substitutions, etc. For that reason, I would like a vet coach. I have done a little investigation and have found that Mitchell is quick to use the bench as a teacher. I think that he would be perfect for Smoove. Still, I am more inclined to see if Toronto would do a SNT of Bosh for Smoove/Marvin... so that point is moot. We have to have the carrot to bring JJ back and put us in a championship picture.

• Premium Member

Man up?

OK DSinner, I don't have to act like a pissy butt little girl (like yourself) and write attack posts.

So here goes.

I was wrong. I was wrong about Cleveland fans. They were just as Classless and clueless as the Atlanta fans were. Without a injury report or any other circumstantial evidence, they booed their star player who is to be a free agent at the end of the playoffs. I'm sure for their classless efforts, they will win over James and he will come back to the city that booed him during his last home game instead of going to another city who will show him love. I'm sure that James and Johnson are both motivated to return to fans who don't show up and when they do show up they boo them without knowing all the facts. That's being a good fan and supporter of your star player who has helped you get to the playoffs. I can imagine that those fans really figured out this plan to boo James so that he is moved to return without the fear of him not returning and them going back to being a lottery team again... I'm sure they figured that out when they booed a possible injured player. Atlanta fans as well.

So I was wrong. Cleveland fans were just as dumb as Hawks fans.

Man up?

OK DSinner, I don't have to act like a pissy butt little girl (like yourself) and write attack posts.

So here goes.

LOL, did you just tell me you don't write attack posts and in the same sentence attack me? All I said was you had a big head. That's not really an attack is it?

I was wrong. I was wrong about Cleveland fans. They were just as Classless and clueless as the Atlanta fans were. Without a injury report or any other circumstantial evidence, they booed their star player who is to be a free agent at the end of the playoffs. I'm sure for their classless efforts, they will win over James and he will come back to the city that booed him during his last home game instead of going to another city who will show him love. I'm sure that James and Johnson are both motivated to return to fans who don't show up and when they do show up they boo them without knowing all the facts. That's being a good fan and supporter of your star player who has helped you get to the playoffs. I can imagine that those fans really figured out this plan to boo James so that he is moved to return without the fear of him not returning and them going back to being a lottery team again... I'm sure they figured that out when they booed a possible injured player. Atlanta fans as well.

So I was wrong. Cleveland fans were just as dumb as Hawks fans.

Now type it like you mean it.

• Premium Member

I believe that Woody has soured me towards defensive oriented coaches. First off, I think we need a coach who can get the most out of his players... this is where I think Mitchell excells. I don't want to go the route of a guy doing On the Job training. This is the problem we had with Woody. He had been an NBA champion assistant but when he came to us, he was as green as could be about several things.... clock management, offense, substitutions, etc. For that reason, I would like a vet coach. I have done a little investigation and have found that Mitchell is quick to use the bench as a teacher. I think that he would be perfect for Smoove. Still, I am more inclined to see if Toronto would do a SNT of Bosh for Smoove/Marvin... so that point is moot. We have to have the carrot to bring JJ back and put us in a championship picture.

I've been thinking about a S&T for Bosh all season. It's the kind of move that makes things happen in the NBA. I wonder how much it will REALLY take Toronto to do it? It's not like they have a ton of bargaining power. It's up to Bosh if he wants to leave them high and dry.

Funny thing is, I had been thinking about Sam Mitchell too. The only issue that I have though is that we've only got his experience in Toronto to evaluate him on. He's been a HC before, but in my eyes he's still a little green. I guess Woody and Stotts and Krueger have just soured me on green NBA coaches. I really want an old-school guy to come in there and get us playing some fundamental TEAM-ORIENTED basketball.

It is encouraging though that Mitchell is an X's and O's guy. I had no idea. If we do bring in someone that doesn't have a ton of experience, he's the kind of guy that I would want.

Sadly, none of this is relevant. I think Sund is interviewing AJ just to stir up some sparks and that he has already decided who he's going to hire. I also don't think we're going to make a serious move this off season.

• Premium Member

I've been thinking about a S&T for Bosh all season. It's the kind of move that makes things happen in the NBA. I wonder how much it will REALLY take Toronto to do it? It's not like they have a ton of bargaining power. It's up to Bosh if he wants to leave them high and dry.

Funny thing is, I had been thinking about Sam Mitchell too. The only issue that I have though is that we've only got his experience in Toronto to evaluate him on. He's been a HC before, but in my eyes he's still a little green. I guess Woody and Stotts and Krueger have just soured me on green NBA coaches. I really want an old-school guy to come in there and get us playing some fundamental TEAM-ORIENTED basketball.

It is encouraging though that Mitchell is an X's and O's guy. I had no idea. If we do bring in someone that doesn't have a ton of experience, he's the kind of guy that I would want.

Sadly, none of this is relevant. I think Sund is interviewing AJ just to stir up some sparks and that he has already decided who he's going to hire. I also don't think we're going to make a serious move this off season.

Mitchell has a reputation on forums as being a non X and O guy but when I did watch his games, I loved the way that Toronto moved from the uptempo break to the halfcourt game with shooters on the perimeters, slashers slashing and Bosh with the ball in his hands making it all happen. It was mitchell and Bosh who made Calderon look so good. I think they blamed Mitch because Toronto wasn't dominant with Marion and Oneal on the team when the truth is that Oneal was done and Marion just didn't fit in.

I want to say that Mitchell here with Bosh would be a thing of beauty. I love Josh. Really I do.. however, if we got Bosh and Joe with Jamal & Horf here... and we allow Teague to take over at the point... and had Bibs coming off the bench... and maybe bring back Chillz.. I don't think we would be easily stopped.

Teague/Joe/Chillz/Bosh/Horf with Bibby and Craw off the bench?

We'd need a good big man backup like Mbenga... somebody with 7 real feet. I would even take sorry Kwame Brown... And RanMo is still a question mark to me.

I don't know if this is completely the case. Sund would not take Craw in that deal without him adding the 2nd year. I really think Sund saw a lot of future value in Craws expiring and him making 6th man of the year increased that value two fold. Sund is not a inexperienced short sighted GM IMO. Craws expiring has a lot of value especially if coupled with one more player.

As far as a coach goes, almost anyone is a upgrade over Woody; save for a select few like Mike Brown or Doug Collins who I do not think are on Sunds short list. And I agree with Sturt on his opinion that any coach we hire will be on a much shorter two to three year leash. Limited or no experienced coaches are harder to judge than players IMO.

Sund had his year to evaluate. I think he knows for a fact we had more problems than just a bad coach....

Edited by Buzzard