• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I have an idea......

Diesel

• Premium Member

I would have labeled this Diesel's big plan, but I wanted Sturt to read it. :write a letter:

Anyway,

I was reading a post and there is a statement that is routinely said on this board but nobody ever follows up with anything concrete. So here's our chance to make a difference.

I say we draft a letter to Gearon and the ASG suggesting what changes we Hawksquawk feel should be made that will make fans come to the games and support the Hawks. I'm talking about price point and entertainment values, etc.

We used to be the lead expert to all things of interest to fans of the Atlanta Hawks. We were the first to hold a real live chat interview with Pete Babcock. We were the first to gather as a body and discuss how to make good change for these Hawks. I think that now going into the 3rd most important offseason in Hawks history (behind the offseason we hired Lenny Wilkens and the offseason we drafted Marvin and signed Joe) we should let ASG hear our voice on what we believe will make going to the game an experience worth paying for. Becuase at the end of the day, Gearon doesn't see recession, he doesn't see unemployment, he sees an empty gate in Atlanta where as the other elite 8 teams have full gates. What could the Hawks do better?

• Moderators

Unlike prior years, I don't think there is a chance you will get a consensus on how to move forward this offseason. Just on the issue of JJ alone you have:

* Get rid of JJ, he will never be a leader or star;

* JJ is a star and we should resign him even at the max;

* S&T JJ for the best player we can find - preferable to keeping him;

* Let JJ walk and sign Chillz;

* S&T JJ for usable nonguaranteed assets or a trade exception) - preferable to keeping him;

* Sign JJ up to a certain price and after that try to S&T him;

etc.

Lots of internal debate this offseason and I don't think there is a clear path based on what we know now.

• Premium Member
I don't think there is a chance you will get a consensus on how to move forward this offseason

I think we can all agree that Bibby needs a reduction in minutes and a real big man needs to be signed. How to do that? We could all argue endlessly...

BTW, in my email exchange with Michael Cunningham (AJC), I mentioned submitting him some questions to answer. He was willing to do it, even mentioned the possibility of using it for a blog.

I've always wondered if we could get one of the AJC writers to ask Sund or Gearon some questions on our behalf...

• Premium Member

Unlike prior years, I don't think there is a chance you will get a consensus on how to move forward this offseason. Just on the issue of JJ alone you have:

* Get rid of JJ, he will never be a leader or star;

* JJ is a star and we should resign him even at the max;

* S&T JJ for the best player we can find - preferable to keeping him;

* Let JJ walk and sign Chillz;

* S&T JJ for usable nonguaranteed assets or a trade exception) - preferable to keeping him;

* Sign JJ up to a certain price and after that try to S&T him;

etc.

Lots of internal debate this offseason and I don't think there is a clear path based on what we know now.

Well, I agree with you on that and I don't think we'd get much attention and respect if we just clog up the letter with GM moves or coaching moves. We have a GM for that, let him do that job because he hasn't shown extreme ineptness yet.

I'm more about the going to the game experience.

I don't disagree with Gearon when he says that they have delivered a good product on the floor but the stands are still empty.

If we disregard the players being brought in, what else can owners do to improve the going to the game experience?

Edited by Diesel

• Moderators

I think you're talking more about fan experience than player transactions right? As much as there is a lot of talk of the Hawks 'giving away' tickets or being able to get lower level seats for $5, none of that means anything if you're the average fan who goes to ticketmaster to buy tickets and has to spend $50 for an average seat. In fact the average fan gets pissed off being packed into the upper endzone with all the other poor suckers while the lower bowl sits empty. And they get pissed off when they realize that if they'd have known where to get tickets they could have had much better seats at half the price. When there is no demand for the tickets drop the price. Don't secretly drop the price for those who know the code word.

The other aspect is the marketing of the team. There were no big personalities on the Hawks like KG, Lebron, Ben Wallace, Steve Nash so you have create a marketable identity for fans to relate to. Throwing up a few billboards with a catch phrase isn't going to do it. This team is full of highlights and people should be seeing those. In the days of Nique at UGA and the Hawks they'd lose games but the sport shows would lead off with 'you gotta see what Nique did in this game' Now we don't have a player like Nique but we have plenty of highlights. Push those out. Come up with some swagger that Hawks fans can get behind. Even with Smitty and Deke, who many argue was a boring team to watch, there was a swagger that those guys brought to every game and even the casual fan knew about it. Its why those guys are so loved in Atlanta. They brought it every night on the court and they were doing good things (that people knew about) off the court.

• Like 1

Good question and topic!

I like it when they shoot T-Shirt out of those airguns biggrin.gif

Seriously tho...did anybody see the halftime show when all the folks got out and jumped around (can't call that dancing) and sang and made fools of themselves? I think it was even a playoff game.

Welcome to Hick City...check your moonshine at the door.

I think you're talking more about fan experience than player transactions right? As much as there is a lot of talk of the Hawks 'giving away' tickets or being able to get lower level seats for $5, none of that means anything if you're the average fan who goes to ticketmaster to buy tickets and has to spend $50 for an average seat. In fact the average fan gets pissed off being packed into the upper endzone with all the other poor suckers while the lower bowl sits empty. And they get pissed off when they realize that if they'd have known where to get tickets they could have had much better seats at half the price. When there is no demand for the tickets drop the price. Don't secretly drop the price for those who know the code word.

The other aspect is the marketing of the team. There were no big personalities on the Hawks like KG, Lebron, Ben Wallace, Steve Nash so you have create a marketable identity for fans to relate to. Throwing up a few billboards with a catch phrase isn't going to do it. This team is full of highlights and people should be seeing those. In the days of Nique at UGA and the Hawks they'd lose games but the sport shows would lead off with 'you gotta see what Nique did in this game' Now we don't have a player like Nique but we have plenty of highlights. Push those out. Come up with some swagger that Hawks fans can get behind. Even with Smitty and Deke, who many argue was a boring team to watch, there was a swagger that those guys brought to every game and even the casual fan knew about it. Its why those guys are so loved in Atlanta. They brought it every night on the court and they were doing good things (that people knew about) off the court.

Those are good ideas. If they want to get more of the casual fans out besides the Tuesday tilt when the Lebrons are here, more has to be done on the marketing side. The fact that Gearon is the first to pipe up about ticket sales, yet there are more billboards and signs around town talking about the Atlanta Dream and Gwinnett Gladiators is a joke. The area around Philips and downtown should be plastered with Hawks/Thrashers stuff, like it is when (insert convention show/event here) is at the GWCC and the Dome.

"In fact, the average fan gets pissed off being packed into the upper endzone with all the other poor suckers while the lower bowl sits empty."

That's my biggest complaint. I can watch in HD in the comfort of my own home. Why would I want to sit in the upper bowl?

Marketing ideas:

They should sell $5 tickets to all but the Lakers, Cavs, Celts, etc. just to keep the place full and have customers for the concessions. Jack up the prices later on ( like the Falcons did a few years back).

Discounted tickets for Tech students. You could even go so far as to paint an entire upper section gold and black.

I would also buy a seat in a section where there's a random chance (say 10-20%) to get better seats.

Kids aged 6-15 should get in free with their full price parent. Get 'em hooked young and they will be long term customers.

Start the week night games earlier (6pm) If you are in town, you gotta wait several hours after work till tipoff. Once back in the 'burbs, people don't want to come back down.

Discounted tickets for Tech students.

Well let's not go too far here. Personally, I don't mind Tech existing as an institution (a nice football team for us to comfortably beat in the late autumn)..but giving them cheap tickets? That's a bit much. tongue.gif

(UGA Dad)

Well let's not go too far here. Personally, I don't mind Tech existing as an institution (a nice football team for us to comfortably beat in the late autumn)..but giving them cheap tickets? That's a bit much. tongue.gif

(UGA Dad)

Go Dawgs!

(UGA Dad)

(and lose to on the court a month or two later)....tech students can almost walk to a game. Why not let them get a cheap ticket? Could be a nice affordable date as well allowing mom and dad to hold on to a little (expense) pocket money.

(Tech Fan)

Edited by Buzzard

(and lose to on the court a month or two later)....tech students can almost walk to a game. Why not let them get a cheap ticket? Could be a nice affordable date as well allowing mom and dad to hold on to a little (expense) pocket money.

(Tech Fan)

Yeah, I actually agree (just trying to start a little something) cool.gif I'm a UGA football fan and a GT baseball fan. Basketball-wise, neither are worth a hill of beans.

My primary concern is that coach you got. Once he gets the players he wants in place (esp. an option QB)...lookout. There are tons of HS teams running the option in TX and very little demand from their services at the D1 level. You guys will get the pick of the litter every year.

Yeah, I actually agree (just trying to start a little something) cool.gif I'm a UGA football fan and a GT baseball fan. Basketball-wise, neither are worth a hill of beans.

My primary concern is that coach you got. Once he gets the players he wants in place (esp. an option QB)...lookout. There are tons of HS teams running the option in TX and very little demand from their services at the D1 level. You guys will get the pick of the litter every year.

I am not a big fan of running style offenses. Played TE in a wishbone way back when; but as a old man now, I prefer a more sophisicated attack like what you guys run in Athens. But I do agree, we should be able to get a top five option QB every year...

Its all good, I root for the Dogs against every team except my Jackets and Tide ( born in Birmingham but raised in Atlanta ). My son is a huge Dog fan BTW.

• Moderators

"In fact, the average fan gets pissed off being packed into the upper endzone with all the other poor suckers while the lower bowl sits empty."

That's my biggest complaint. I can watch in HD in the comfort of my own home. Why would I want to sit in the upper bowl?

Marketing ideas:

They should sell $5 tickets to all but the Lakers, Cavs, Celts, etc. just to keep the place full and have customers for the concessions. Jack up the prices later on ( like the Falcons did a few years back).

Discounted tickets for Tech students. You could even go so far as to paint an entire upper section gold and black.

I would also buy a seat in a section where there's a random chance (say 10-20%) to get better seats.

Kids aged 6-15 should get in free with their full price parent. Get 'em hooked young and they will be long term customers.

Start the week night games earlier (6pm) If you are in town, you gotta wait several hours after work till tipoff. Once back in the 'burbs, people don't want to come back down.

These are all good ideas. Plus, a few years back they would have semi-big name music acts perform after the game. I'm not sure that's a money maker by the time you pay the act but it gets people in the seats (at least by halftime). Seems like there are so many things you could do but lately they seem to think that since the team is good they shouldn't have to resort to these things. Well it takes more than two winning seasons to get the fans back especially when you flop badly in the playoffs.

• Moderators

(Tech Fan)

When was the last time UGA lost at home to Tech in basketball? The 1970s?

On the subject of the thread, why not just open it up to college students in general instead of Tech fans in specific? Obviously, the Georgia State and Georgia Tech and other Atlanta colleges would have the most access and buy the most tickets but you might as well open the gates to college students generally rather than limit it to one school if your goal is to build the fanbase through discounted tickets to (hopefully rowdy) college students.

When was the last time UGA lost at home to Tech in basketball? The 1970s?

On the subject of the thread, why not just open it up to college students in general instead of Tech fans in specific? Obviously, the Georgia State and Georgia Tech and other Atlanta colleges would have the most access and buy the most tickets but you might as well open the gates to college students generally rather than limit it to one school if your goal is to build the fanbase through discounted tickets to (hopefully rowdy) college students.

Actually AHF I think we should start a Ga State football fan club here on Hawksqawk.

We are used to starting from scratch..

I have a personal interest (to a degree) since my daughter spent her first two years there prior to transferring to UGA. Obviously the team will suck eggs the first year leading up to an epic arse kicking at Alabama (hopefully nobody gets hurt too bad)

Anyway..I'm gonna go down and watch them and bring my portable grill for Brats. If anybody wants to join me they are certainly welcome (BYOB).

Get in on the ground floor!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by DJlaysitup

• Premium Member

Before we get off topic... My topic, my 2 cents..

I think to make the experience better.

1. Upper level seats should never cost more than 10 bucks.

It's a crime that people spend more than 10 dollars to get a poor view of the game. Then what? Like some have said, HDTV is great.. and no 3D TV is coming out. With all the free snacks in the world at the house. ASG has to concentrate on getting the fans out to the arena.

2. $5 tickets in the upper bowl (300s) for all college students and Service men and women. $10 dollar in the 200s

If you want season ticket holders, you have to start with just filling the arena. Just fill the arena. The price point people know the best price point for a full house in order not to lose money. Use that.

3. Season Ticket prices should be cut in half and 1/2 season ticket prices should be 1/4 more than season ticket per event.

Again, you just want to fill the house for a few seasons to develop a following.

4. Aside from a meet the players day, Season ticket holders ought to get 1 thing free each quarter of the year.

Weather it be a T-shirt or a cup. Make them want to be a fan.

5. Work out a deal with local restaurants to have a shuttle that goes from the restaurant to the game.

Check out the Mavs.

Shuttle Service from Local Restaurants

Hooters: Pick-up time is 1 hour before the game and lasts 1 hour after the game. Parking is at the meters surrounding the building. The shuttles deploy every 30 minutes holding 30-50 people per trolley. You do not have to eat at the restaurant to use the shuttle service.

Friday's: Pick-up times are continuous and will last 1 hour after game time. Parking is right next to the building. The shuttles deploy every 30 minutes holding 30-50 people per trolley. You do not have to eat at the restaurant to use the shuttle service.

d*ck's Last Resort: Pick-up time is 1 hour before the game and lasts 1 hour after the game. Parking is at all three corners surrounding the building. The shuttle service used is West End Eagle, and it deploys every 30 minutes holding 30-50 people per trolley. You do not have to eat at the restaurant to use the shuttle service.

West End Pub: Pick-up time is 1 hour before the game and lasts continuously until everyone is back. Parking is behind the restaurant on Houston St. The shuttle's run every 20 minutes and each bus holds 58 people. You do not have to eat at the restaurant to use the shuttle service.

On the Border: Pick-up time is 1 hour 15 minutes before and is ongoing until everyone is back. Parking is at the meters in the West End Parking Lot. The shuttles deploy every 30 minutes holding 65 people per trolley. You do not have to eat at the restaurant to use the shuttle service.

Hoffbrau: Pick-up time is 1 hour before the game and lasts continuously until everyone is back. Parking is behind the restaurant. The shuttle's run every 10 minutes and each bus holds 50-70 people. You do have to eat at the restaurant to use the shuttle service. The receipt is the ticket onto the buses.

5. Develop a business alliance....

I stole this from the Nuggets...

Check out the Nuggets.

It only makes sense. Have an alliance of people who want to get their business out there. They pay to play. This will take some doing. You have to get the businesses on board.. you need a sales team that is old school and not afraid to visit these businesses and solicit. The money that you make from the alliance is what makes it possible to cut the prices on the tickets. The business alliance wants a full arena. They are paying for that exposure.

6. Promote the Hawks to fathers and sons.

That's your demographic. If that means more visits to the schools with the players giving a few tickets out to the kids... so be it.

One of the things the Braves used to do was have a few games set aside for students who had perfect attendance in school. I'm sure you can write that off as a tax write off, but the great thing about it is that you get kids in the room. Those kids are the driving force to bring the parents to another game and your future fans. If you have a night where the kids come out free, you better cater to the kids and make it an experience that they want to have again and again.

• Like 1

Actually AHF I think we should start a Ga State football fan club here on Hawksqawk.

We are used to starting from scratch..

I have a personal interest (to a degree) since my daughter spent her first two years there prior to transferring to UGA. Obviously the team will suck eggs the first year leading up to an epic arse kicking at Alabama (hopefully nobody gets hurt too bad)

Anyway..I'm gonna go down and watch them and bring my portable grill for Brats. If anybody wants to join me they are certainly welcome (BYOB).

Get in on the ground floor!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll check out a game or two. I graduated from GSU in 03'. My mom graduated from there in the 70's.

Did you read that a Soph QB from Bama is looking at tranfering to GSU ? He is their 3rd string QB but he had to be a highly touted QB to sign at Bama.