• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

So what wouldn't you change about the team?

HawkItus

Since our demolition at the hands of the Magic it has been a parade of negative critiques for the team. I was thinking what exactly can we say is a non-issue? In my opinion our offensive ability is about the only thing we can say doesn't need an upgrade. And that is only if JJ doesn't leave. Also, assuming JJ doesn't leave, we are set at sixth man. Help me out, what can Sund ignore this summer?

Edited by sultanofatl

• Moderators

The A-Town Dancers.

oh, and Al Horford, although I'd spend his summer working on a new position at PF.

And honestly, our transition fast-break offense last year was less like the Keystone Kops than anything I've seen here in ages. Keep that. But let go of the whole tops-in-the-league-for-ball-control thing. I'm willing to give up a few extra turnovers for a more sensible halfcourt offensive scheme.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Since our demolition at the hands of the Magic it has been a parade of negative critiques for the team. I was thinking what exactly can we say is a non-issue? In my opinion our offensive ability is about the only thing we can say doesn't need an upgrade. And that is only if JJ doesn't leave. Also, assuming JJ doesn't leave, we are set at sixth man. Help me out, what can Sund ignore this summer?

The fact that Mo Evans is opting out.

Actually, I wouldn't change a lot.

I would look for that good 7 footer who hasn't been in the league for 14 years and who can still play his position for about 20 mins per game. I think we need a good 7 footer who plays defense in our C rotation. Somebody that we can depend on when the matchup doesn't favor us. First on my list is Brad Miller. There's also Pryzbilia. I would love to somehow get my hands on DeAndre Jordan.

I think Sund's coaching choice is going to make the most difference. IF we doesn't bring in somebody who can change the attitudes of players, then we have to look to trade players. I'm more interested to see if we can get a coach who can work with what we have and with a few tweaks make us better.

Move Al to PF, Smith to the bench in a Manu role, and trade for Crawford for a true center. I would love to land Favors or even Cousins.

Its funny that this question is asked, because as I watch the playoffs, the more I am convinced that the difference between us and the teams still playing isnt based on talent. Far from it. Our problems are intangibles, things like heart, hustle, leadership, toughness, agression, IQ, preparedness, and adjustments. The players that I see making a difference on other teams wouldnt even have gotten playing time on our roster. Dragic, Glen Davis, Reddick all play with great intangibles.

So to answer the question, I wouldnt change the talent we have wholesale like some suggest. We still have one of the most athletic rosters top to bottom. We have youth on our side as well. In particular:

Horford- may be out of position but is a keeper all the way around

Smith- has all-nba talent and athleticism, needs to get his head on straight before its too late, keeper unless we can get a difference maker at Center for him

Williams- solid all around game, needs to add aggression and confidence to his game, keeper unless he can be moved for a big/pg

JJ- All star, would be hard to replace

Bibby- has more left in the tank than we give him credit for. His defense would not be such liability in the right system (zone)

Crawford- great 6th man, definately a keeper in the same role he had this year

Teague- has the talent to be the pg most ppl here want, just needs the chance. ive seen too much potential to think otherwise

Morris- Played very well this year and DESERVED to get more playing time, I blame Woodson for that. Did anybody else notice how much he improved but me?

West- Since he first made the team I believed he should have gotten more PT. There doesnt need to be 5 scorers on the floor at all times, but since there was no offensive system and at any random moment every player had to be able to score he couldnt get on the court, even though he plays better defense with more heart and energy than anybody else on our team.

ZaZa- im dissappointed in his year, but hopefully he bounces back, he is under contract regardless.

all are keepers, just need more direction

Personally I would look for another undersized center that we can plug in and we can become the "Hack-A-Everybody" team. Keep all our bigs and get another minimum impact guy. Then just foul every time the ball goes inside and Jack Threes.

...or maybe not...I dunnokickcan.gif

• Moderators

trade for Crawford for a true center. I would love to land Favors or even Cousins.

Who in the world would give up a #2-4 pick for Crawford or a true center? I mean sign me up if you can get it, but I'll kindly say it is easier said than done. The #24 pick and Crawford for a #2-4 pick in this draft doesn't get a return phone call.

Who in the world would give up a #2-4 pick for Crawford or a true center? I mean sign me up if you can get it, but I'll kindly say it is easier said than done. The #24 pick and Crawford for a #2-4 pick in this draft doesn't get a return phone call.

I think you misunderstood what I wrote. Trade Crawford for a true center (ex. Thabeet, Samuel D). Then I stated I would love Favors or Cousins, no trade partner, just mentioning.

The fact that Mo Evans is opting out.

Actually, I wouldn't change a lot.

I would look for that good 7 footer who hasn't been in the league for 14 years and who can still play his position for about 20 mins per game. I think we need a good 7 footer who plays defense in our C rotation. Somebody that we can depend on when the matchup doesn't favor us. First on my list is Brad Miller. There's also Pryzbilia. I would love to somehow get my hands on DeAndre Jordan.

I think Sund's coaching choice is going to make the most difference. IF we doesn't bring in somebody who can change the attitudes of players, then we have to look to trade players. I'm more interested to see if we can get a coach who can work with what we have and with a few tweaks make us better.

I am on the fence about staying pat with our starting lineup. Pryz would be a great fit if healthy. I have always liked his game from a defensive standpoint; but so does Portland. Going to be hard to pry him away IMO; unless Portland thinks he is done.

A coach can make a major difference but we still need some offense from Marvin and/or Smith. Teague is a huge question mark and as much as I like the Bibby of old he is done as a starter. Our references to Garnets Minny teams have convinced me we are in a similar boat. They had two all-stars in Garnet and Cassell; but instead of adding one more for another playoff run, they traded their 2nd all-star (Cassell) for bench fodder. We have two all-stars in JJ and Horf. If we lose JJ for bench fodder or role players, we are in deep s*** no matter who the coach is.

Teague PG

Craw SG

Joe SF

AL PF

Find a 7-Footer

Bring Bibbs, Marv and Josh off the bench

Bring Flipper back

I see where you are going but having 24 mill invested in three bench players is a desperate move; and one I do not think the ASG is willing to accept financially . Craw and Teague would be just as weak defensively (quite possibly more so) as Bibby and JJ in the backcourt.

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

I see where you are going but having 24 mill invested in three bench players is a desperate move; and one I do not think the ASG is willing to accept financially . Craw and Teague would be just as weak defensively (quite possibly more so) as Bibby and JJ in the backcourt.

lol... I actually deleted that because i read the OP wrong. "what wouldn't you change"

the only moves I consider a must is moving Al to PF and getting something close to a true center.

• Moderators

I think you misunderstood what I wrote. Trade Crawford for a true center (ex. Thabeet, Samuel D). Then I stated I would love Favors or Cousins, no trade partner, just mentioning.

Well for that matter, I would also love John Wall. He would be a huge upgrade from Bibby.

Well for that matter, I would also love John Wall. He would be a huge upgrade from Bibby.

ha, very true.

Unless I was completely blown away by a trade offer for Josh Smith, I wouldn't change the tandem of he and Al Horford inside. They are by far our most effective defensive players on the team, and if a coach can ever get through to Josh Smith and make him be the player he is and not the player he thinks he is, then he could go from being a snubbed All Star to a legitimate All Star. What I would do is stop trying to pigeon hole them into the prototypical positions. I would definitely have Al slide over and play the power forward position on occasion.