• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Can Rick Sund Dictate.....

Diesel

• Premium Member

Can Rick Sund dictate where Joe/Lebron package goes??

Let's think about this for a second. If Joe and Lebron really wanted to play together, there are a few choices.

1. NJ

2. Chicago

3. Miami

4. LAC.

5. NY.

Here's the other shoe. All of those teams would need a SNT from us to make it happen.

Can we now dictate what we want from each team? When I put in picks, I mean whoever they have picked (but not signed).

1, NJ. I want Harris/#3.

2. Chicago. I want Noah with my Hinrich.

3. Miami. Yuck. Pass. OK. Beasley/#18.

4. LAC. It would have to be Kaman/;#8

5. NY. Yuck again. Gallanari/future first?

Given those. I think the Joe/Bron package would go to NJ... NJ would still have Lopez, some cap, and a billion dollar owner + Jay-Z.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Love the possibility. It would mean max retutn for JJ. NJ would be my easy choice as well.

NJ is not giving up Lopez. Chicago is not giving up Noah. People need to stop talking as if that's a real possibility. Hinrich, yes. Harris, probably. Those are contracts their teams probably want to unload. But Noah and Lopez are good young big men on their rookie contracts. No way are they getting traded.

• Like 3

• Admin

Can Rick Sund dictate where Joe/Lebron package goes??

Let's think about this for a second. If Joe and Lebron really wanted to play together, there are a few choices.

1. NJ

2. Chicago

3. Miami

4. LAC.

5. NY.

Here's the other shoe. All of those teams would need a SNT from us to make it happen.

Can we now dictate what we want from each team? When I put in picks, I mean whoever they have picked (but not signed).

1, NJ. I want Harris/#3.

2. Chicago. I want Noah with my Hinrich.

3. Miami. Yuck. Pass. OK. Beasley/#18.

4. LAC. It would have to be Kaman/;#8

5. NY. Yuck again. Gallanari/future first?

Given those. I think the Joe/Bron package would go to NJ... NJ would still have Lopez, some cap, and a billion dollar owner + Jay-Z.

I gave you a positive to get rid of the negative. I think people give you negatives just give you one.

It sucks that most of those teams do not have any pieces that I would want in return:

I don't think Joe could get us Harris AND 3. It would probably be Harris and something else but that leaves them without a point guard.

Chicago wants to build around Noah and Rose so pretty much everyone else on their roster is available but them

No thanks from Miami or NY. Gallanari will not be available and everyone else sucks and I can't stand Beasly.

I would be interested in Kamen but I don't think we can also get 8 out of it too.

• Premium Member

NJ is not giving up Lopez. Chicago is not giving up Noah. People need to stop talking as if that's a real possibility. Hinrich, yes. Harris, probably. Those are contracts their teams probably want to unload. But Noah and Lopez are good young big men on their rookie contracts. No way are they getting traded.

The thing is for Chicago, we don't have to take their junk.

If it's a Bron/JJ package, they will have to work with our demands. IF it were JJ alone, they would have the drivers seat.

• Premium Member

I gave you a positive to get rid of the negative. I think people give you negatives just give you one.

It sucks that most of those teams do not have any pieces that I would want in return:

I don't think Joe could get us Harris AND 3. It would probably be Harris and something else but that leaves them without a point guard.

Chicago wants to build around Noah and Rose so pretty much everyone else on their roster is available but them

No thanks from Miami or NY. Gallanari will not be available and everyone else sucks and I can't stand Beasly.

I would be interested in Kamen but I don't think we can also get 8 out of it too.

The only teams with the capspace to do what they want is Miami and NY. However, I can't imagine Miami not going for Wade. I can't imagine Chicago not going for Wade either. As far as Max, I don't think Joe will exactly get a max, but he will be pretty close (if we plays with Bron).

• Premium Member

The thing is for Chicago, we don't have to take their junk.

If it's a Bron/JJ package, they will have to work with our demands. IF it were JJ alone, they would have the drivers seat.

You are kidding yourself if you think we have the leverage there. If we stonewall his effort to be S&Ted to the team of his choice, what do you think will happen? You think he'll walk back here? Hell no. He'll be pissed at us and will end up walking and signing somewhere else and leave us with nothing. As for Chicago, they'll start shopping for another team with an elite FA willing to do a S&T with them that won't demand Noah (Toronto/Miami/Utah/Phoenix/Cleveland/etc). Some team will say "Hinrich is better than nothing" and give in. Hell, even if it's LeBron/JJ they want, they might be able to get it done simply by offering the S&T of Hinrich to Cleveland instead of Atlanta, and then offering JJ the 5-year max.

Our bargaining power is so much weaker than Chicago's that it's ridiculous. It's delusional to think that we somehow will be in the driver's seat in those negotiations, because JJ isn't the only free agent Chicago has an interest in acquiring. The ability to offer JJ an extra year is all we've got, because Chicago is not going to have a hard time finding a trade partner from one of this summer's other elite FAs that decides Hinrich is better than nothing.

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

You are kidding yourself if you think we have the leverage there. If we stonewall his effort to be S&Ted to the team of his choice, what do you think will happen? You think he'll walk back here? Hell no. He'll be pissed at us and will end up walking and signing somewhere else and leave us with nothing. As for Chicago, they'll start shopping for another team with an elite FA willing to do a S&T with them that won't demand Noah (Toronto/Miami/Utah/Phoenix/Cleveland/etc). Some team will say "Hinrich is better than nothing" and give in. Hell, even if it's LeBron/JJ they want, they might be able to get it done simply by offering the S&T of Hinrich to Cleveland instead of Atlanta.

Our bargaining power is so much weaker than Chicago's that it's ridiculous. It's delusional to think that we somehow will be in the driver's seat in those negotiations, because JJ isn't the only free agent Chicago has an interest in acquiring. The ability to offer JJ an extra year is all we've got, because Chicago is not going to have a hard time finding a trade partner from one of this summer's other elite FAs that decides Hinrich is better than nothing.

Unfortunately, JJ doesn't have full control if being with Lebron in Chicago is where he wants to be. Chicago has the contracts of Hinrich, Noah, and Deng Plus some rookies that prevent them from signing both. They need us to take either Hinrich or Deng. I wouldn't just lay down and take their JUNK just because they want Joe and Lebron. They are in our conference for godsakes. You don't help them build a monster without getting what you want.

I'd rather chance a pissed off JJ goes and signs with NY and we get nothing than to help him go to Chicago and build a dynasty and we take unusable crap.

• Premium Member

Unfortunately, JJ doesn't have full control if being with Lebron in Chicago is where he wants to be. Chicago has the contracts of Hinrich, Noah, and Deng Plus some rookies that prevent them from signing both. They need us to take either Hinrich or Deng. I wouldn't just lay down and take their JUNK just because they want Joe and Lebron. They are in our conference for godsakes. You don't help them build a monster without getting what you want.

I'd rather chance a pissed off JJ goes and signs with NY and we get nothing than to help him go to Chicago and build a dynasty and we take unusable crap.

They'll still get their dynasty. They'll just get it with LeBron and Wade or LeBron and Dirk or LeBron and Bosh or Bosh and Wade etc - all in addition to Rose, Deng, and Noah. So they'll get it anyway if that's what Chicago is after. And we'll be left with nothing to show for it. Say what you will about Hinrich, but he's a good all-around PG in a league where those are few and far between. Most teams will not view him as "junk," especially since he'll only have 2 years left on his contract at decreasing salary.

JJ isn't the only girl at the dance this summer AND there are multiple teams with the cap space to woo 1 or 2 of the prime ones. That's why we have little leverage.

Edited by niremetal

• Premium Member

There simply isn't historical evidence that a team losing out on a solid, unrestricted player gets anything of value from another team's reasonable GM.

That is, unless you're like me and think a TPE is of solid value.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

They'll still get their dynasty. They'll just get it with LeBron and Wade or LeBron and Dirk or LeBron and Bosh or Bosh and Wade etc - all in addition to Rose, Deng, and Noah. So they'll get it anyway if that's what Chicago is after. And we'll be left with nothing to show for it. Say what you will about Hinrich, but he's a good all-around PG in a league where those are few and far between. Most teams will not view him as "junk," especially since he'll only have 2 years left on his contract at decreasing salary.

JJ isn't the only girl at the dance this summer AND there are multiple teams with the cap space to woo 1 or 2 of the prime ones. That's why we have little leverage.

Hinrich is not good all around. He's better than average.. but just slightly better. His defense has taken a hit. However, he's 10 Million dollars added to the cap for the next 2 years. You see he's not good enough to make us better and he's expensive enough to keep us out of contention. He's the modern day Al Henderson.

We actually have a lot of leverage. With 10 teams being in the FA stakes, LAL for Bosh, that leaves JJ with a lot of options and he could get that 6th year he wants. Next year class is weak, Melo who will probably resign and Yao who is risk factor are the only Tier 1 or 2 players in the 2011. Teams will have to sign a max player and their is only 5 of them that really on the market. Dirk, Wade, and Amare will probably stay put.

People seem to be ignoring that both NY and Miami can afford two max FAs, possibly NJ too. You are not getting what you want, you are getting what they give.

Exactly.

The other thing they're forgetting is that a guy like Lebron doesn't HAVE to take a max deal either. He makes a ton of money off of endorsements. He could EASILY do like Jordan did, and not take a MAX contract, so that his team could go our and add other quality guys to the roster.

Stick Lebron in New York City, corporations and ad agencies will be swarming this dude. His endorsements could easily increase tens of millions of dollars, if he plays with the Knicks. So if you're Lebron, and you really want to entice

Even though the KNICKS can sign multiple max deals without a sign and trade . . they still may try to do one . . and use EDDY CURRY's expiring contract as the bait.

I can see Sund now, talking about how he acquired a center and a PG for JJ, by signing Chris Duhon and acquiring Eddy Curry. Sund would be like . . .

"Chris is a good PG in this league. He must be good, seeing that he did a number on us. We couldn't stop him because he's lighing quick and can shoot the basketball. Chris will help us"

"And Eddy? Eddy just needs a 'new voice' to motivate him. He gives us bulk and size in the middle to help on defense and rebounding. He's on the last year of his contract, and he'll have something to prove. Eddy will help us."

There simply isn't historical evidence that a team losing out on a solid, unrestricted player gets anything of value from another team's reasonable GM.

That is, unless you're like me and think a TPE is of solid value.

Here is something I read that I agree with.

Atlanta/Phoenix SnT for Joe Johnson should be the example of what teams want in a SnT for Tier 1 and 2 players. That trade was basically picks and Diaw for Joe Johnson. Those picks became Rondo and Robin Lopez.

Exactly.

The other thing they're forgetting is that a guy like Lebron doesn't HAVE to take a max deal either. He makes a ton of money off of endorsements. He could EASILY do like Jordan did, and not take a MAX contract, so that his team could go our and add other quality guys to the roster.

Stick Lebron in New York City, corporations and ad agencies will be swarming this dude. His endorsements could easily increase tens of millions of dollars, if he plays with the Knicks. So if you're Lebron, and you really want to entice

Even though the KNICKS can sign multiple max deals without a sign and trade . . they still may try to do one . . and use EDDY CURRY's expiring contract as the bait.

I can see Sund now, talking about how he acquired a center and a PG for JJ, by signing Chris Duhon and acquiring Eddy Curry. Sund would be like . . .

"Chris is a good PG in this league. He must be good, seeing that he did a number on us. We couldn't stop him because he's lighing quick and can shoot the basketball. Chris will help us"

"And Eddy? Eddy just needs a 'new voice' to motivate him. He gives us bulk and size in the middle to help on defense and rebounding. He's on the last year of his contract, and he'll have something to prove. Eddy will help us."

You have lost your mind.

• Premium Member

Here is something I read that I agree with.

Atlanta/Phoenix SnT for Joe Johnson should be the example of what teams want in a SnT for Tier 1 and 2 players. That trade was basically picks and Diaw for Joe Johnson. Those picks became Rondo and Robin Lopez.

JJ WAS RESTRICTED.

People seem to be ignoring that both NY and Miami can afford two max FAs, possibly NJ too. You are not getting what you want, you are getting what they give.

Exactly.

JJ WAS RESTRICTED.

But to get 6 years is what JJ would want and could get elsewhere. The ball is back in our court. The ball wouldn't be in our court if NY was the only team after JJ especially for that price like R. Lewis and Orlando. If multiple teams are willing to pay more for 6 years, than the ball is back in our court. I like stated, there are only five tier 1 and 2 FA's in this class. Amare, Dirk, and Wade will probably stay on their respective teams.

Edited by nbasuperstar40