• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How do you feel about Jeff Teague being our next PG?

JTB

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Personally Im all for giving Teague a shot at starting and moving Bibby to the Bench! I think Teague can hang with the PG in this League. An if we get Avery as our next coach (lord please) Teague can develop into a really good PG for this team! I think Teague's biggest issue right now is that he's not completely comfortable and that's because he didnt get alot of playing time which would fall on woody. But I have a great feeling the next coach we get whether it's avery or even casey Teague will get his shot!

Here's a article from draft express about Teague that sounds promising once he gets comfortable playing which wont take long especially if he's starting! Also I want to add that I think Teague can def be a true PG if he's coached right, he has the skills......he can shoot the mid-range and can shoot NBA 3s as he's shown in college, he quick and fast with the best of them at his position so speed isn't a problem, he can drive and penetrate like other quick PG's and judging how he was passing the last game of the season against the cavs where it was bench on bench which was still pretty tough considering the cavs have great depth, Teague was passing exceptionally well! the only thing he need is a true PG mindset now, which he slightly has judging that last game of the season, the only question is could he have done that if he got that much playing time in any other game of the season? I would have to say probably so! I would say his worst flaw was defense where he could play exceptional D but look as if he got bored with it or loss interest in it kind of how amare looks when he play defense but that can change with a good coach if that coach can get that players all out hustle and heart like what Skiles do for the bucks.

draft express article on Teague (must read)

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jeff-Teague-5293/

Jeff Teague's virtues as a volume shot-creator are incredibly obvious from his situational statistics.

Amongst the group we examined, Teague had a very high usage rate, but was only slight above average in terms of efficiency at .95 PPP. From a broad perspective, that’s a pretty good characterization of his mentality as a scorer, but is doesn’t do justice to how unique he is on the offensive end.

Teague is exceptionally good at getting to the rim, posting an average of 7.8 finishing attempts per game (3rd best), which is quite impressive. Considering his size, it isn’t a big surprise that he sits only slight above average at 1.12 PPP on those attempts. Moving forward, Teague may be able to seamlessly account for his lack of efficiency at the rim with his tremendous pull up jumper. He took 5.3 jumpers off the dribble per game last season, and posted .94 PPP, well above the average of .81 PPP.

Unfortunately, his merit off the dribble doesn’t translate to catch and shoot situations, as he ranks below average at 1.12 PPP on unguarded spot up jumpers, which wasn’t a huge issue for him at Wake Forest since he only took 1.2 catch and shoot jumpers per game overall. He ranks last in Pos/G in that category, and he will have to improve his ability to use those situations on the next level considering his size. Teague is very unique in this aspect, as you don’t see many players who shoot such a large percentage of their jumpers off the dribble.

]Teague more than compensates for his limitations with his excellent shot creating ability. He gets out in transition more than any player in the draft at 6.1 Pos/G, and while his 1.01 PPP is a strong indication of his shaky decision-making skills, his speed makes him a great threat to get to the line. The same holds true when you consider how well he scores when he puts the ball on the floor. Few players in this draft are as quick and instinctive off the dribble. Teague’s FG percentage of 51.3% when he drives right is extremely impressive, and his 39.4% going left is above average too. Not only do those drives result in made baskets, but Teague gets fouled on 16.6% of his possessions, easily the most amongst twos.

Teague is an excellent scorer with the ball in his hands, but doesn’t look great on the pick and roll or shooting off of screens, two things he may have to work on when taller and quicker defenders take away some of his driving lanes. He’s not a terribly efficient or fundamentally sound player overall, but with the direction the NBA is heading in, Teague is going to be extremely difficult to defend without fouling on the perimeter (think Aaron Brooks or Louis Williams), which makes him a coveted option in this draft, particularly for teams who lack that type of scoring punch off the bench.

Cant wait to Test Teague Out as a Starter if he gets his chance next season which is a 99.9% chance of happening right now!

Edited by JTB

• Premium Member

I welcome it. He has the talent necessary to excel. I've never seen a point guard block so many lay-ups, so his hops are outstanding. He obviously can get his own shot, and when that shot is falling as it was versus CLE at the end of the season, he makes you pause to think of some of the things that Iverson was able to do. The question is whether he will further develop the point guard skills that make the rest of the team around him better... something that Iverson never really did to the extent that he needed. And so, that is arguably the most critical asset of our next coach--an ability to maximize the development of point guard play.

Looking forward to seeing more of Teague, but I see no reason to make him a starter.

Let Bibby get things flowing then bring him off the bench.

I'm not convinced that Jeff Teague will ever be a true point guard. He's a very good scorer, but in college, he made poor decisions with the basketball and was very turnover prone. Jeff had a 1:1 assist:turnover ratio at Wake Forest and turned the ball over on almost 20% of the possessions he had. He's very good at getting to the rim and also shooting off the dribble. He's got a great first step to the basket. Jeff was never much of a catch and shoot guy at Wake Forest. He's got a long way to go before he becomes a point guard in the NBA, IMO. I was honestly a little surprised that the Hawks drafted him considering that he's not the spot up jump shooter at the point position that Mike Woodson appears to like. If Avery Johnson becomes the coach, then I don't know how Jeff will fit in since Avery also favors having a spot up jump shooter at point guard in his isolation based offense.

I'm not convinced that Jeff Teague will ever be a true point guard. He's a very good scorer, but in college, he made poor decisions with the basketball and was very turnover prone. Jeff had a 1:1 assist:turnover ratio at Wake Forest and turned the ball over on almost 20% of the possessions he had. He's very good at getting to the rim and also shooting off the dribble. He's got a great first step to the basket. Jeff was never much of a catch and shoot guy at Wake Forest. He's got a long way to go before he becomes a point guard in the NBA, IMO. I was honestly a little surprised that the Hawks drafted him considering that he's not the spot up jump shooter at the point position that Mike Woodson appears to like. If Avery Johnson becomes the coach, then I don't know how Jeff will fit in since Avery also favors having a spot up jump shooter at point guard in his isolation based offense.

He will never be a true PG, but a scoring one with passing ability like Kevin Johnson is his peak.

Give him a shot. We already invested in Bibby and Crawford (who can be moved if Teague falls on his face).

1-hopefully draft a shooter/scoring 2/3.

2- try to find a big with our MLE

1 and 2 can be reversed if the unlikely happens and a good big drops in our laps.

Draft should always be best player available IMO; just look at these late round picks from last year:

Chase Budinger

Sam Young

Marcus Thorton

DeJuan Bair

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

Most importantly, the kid needs meaningful minutes, meaningful touches, and room to grow. That's really hard for any coach to do when you're trying to win ballgames, but the best coaches figure it out with no problem. Any young player under Woodson was destined to fail...unless they were highly productive going 1x1.

The only way to change the offense is to let Teague start or bring in another PG who can create off the dribble.

With Bibby starting we are limited and forced to allow JJ to play iso - ball b/c Bibby cannot be the main ball handler due to his physical limitations that prevents him from creating offense in a way that a starting PG should.

With Teague starting he would obviously have to play a different role then Bibby's catch & shoot / play off the ball role. Teague would have to be allowed to be an aggressor and JJ would have to play off the ball much more. Teague can penetrate at will and must develop chemistry with the starters and with pick & rolls. I would hope the new coach could help develop him.

• Moderators

Jeff had a 1:1 assist:turnover ratio at Wake Forest and turned the ball over on almost 20% of the possessions he had.

In the NBA, he had a roughly 5:2 assist to turnover ratio and that was without ever playing with the starting unit. His college numbers may have been influenced by the amount of scoring he was asked to do. While his shooting disappointed, his ballhandling exceeded my expectations.

In the NBA, he had a roughly 5:2 assist to turnover ratio and that was without ever playing with the starting unit. His college numbers may have been influenced by the amount of scoring he was asked to do. While his shooting disappointed, his ballhandling exceeded my expectations.

He also had a moderately high assist rate and an OK assist percentage overall, so there is some hope there. People have pointed to the Cleveland game where he played 48 minutes. In that game, Jeff got into the lane anytime he wanted to. Granted, it was against Cleveland's second string guys, but Jeff Teague had 24 points and 15 assists in that game. Of his 24 points, 14 of them came at the rim. He was 7 of 8 from the field when he got into the lane and attacked the basket, and the one shot he missed in the lane, he drew a foul on. He was also 3 of 6 from 16'-23' in that game. That's his game though. That was his game at Wake Forest. He needs to have the basketball so he can create, and he typically creates off his ability to create his own shot.

Most importantly, the kid needs meaningful minutes, meaningful touches, and room to grow. That's really hard for any coach to do when you're trying to win ballgames, but the best coaches figure it out with no problem. Any young player under Woodson was destined to fail...unless they were highly productive going 1x1.

I feel ya on this especially the part about the best coaches figure it out with no problem! in other words depending on who our next coach is that will make the decision if Teague will progress into a good player or bad player! it's up to the next coach. If it's avery I wouldn't worry cause I know avery would make Teague better, if it's casey im not sure it depends on how casey intends to run this team, if he's planning to be the woody 2.0 with the iso offense Teague probably wont get better but thats my opnion.

He also had a moderately high assist rate and an OK assist percentage overall, so there is some hope there. People have pointed to the Cleveland game where he played 48 minutes. In that game, Jeff got into the lane anytime he wanted to. Granted, it was against Cleveland's second string guys, but Jeff Teague had 24 points and 15 assists in that game. Of his 24 points, 14 of them came at the rim. He was 7 of 8 from the field when he got into the lane and attacked the basket, and the one shot he missed in the lane, he drew a foul on. He was also 3 of 6 from 16'-23' in that game. That's his game though. That was his game at Wake Forest. He needs to have the basketball so he can create, and he typically creates off his ability to create his own shot.

....................and this people is why Teague should start next year! he has shown the ability to be good!

I feel ya on this especially the part about the best coaches figure it out with no problem! in other words depending on who our next coach is that will make the decision if Teague will progress into a good player or bad player! it's up to the next coach. If it's avery I wouldn't worry cause I know avery would make Teague better, if it's casey im not sure it depends on how casey intends to run this team, if he's planning to be the woody 2.0 with the iso offense Teague probably wont get better but thats my opnion.

Avery Johnson is the iso heavy coach, not Dwane Casey.