• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Say bye-bye to Joe Johnson!......Sund finally messed up!

JTB

I might be the only one who feels this way but I really dont think JJ will come back to the hawks and play for an unproven coach and this same roster! An by proven i mean a coach who has accomplished something. The report is now that even though Avery johnson has signed to the nets the hawks are still going to make a decision soon with their now top 3 canindates! So this tells me:

1.the ASG was just being cheap again and never really wanted Avery.

2.who they really want is casey

3.they are not worried about johnson clearly.

and on the number 3 I feel that they arent worried about joe johnson as much cause now you havent made any huge significant changes to want to make YOUR star player come back and play for this team. We wont be getting a Proven coach cause it is too many reports stating we are still going to pick one of our now 3 top coaching caninidates which include Casey,Drew, and Mark and which equals no huge potential! We dont have alot of money and J.J. knows this, so he knows unless we make a trade we will have this same roster! no big market free agent is coming on this team! hell we might not even be able to grab a decent BIG out of free agency! I mean think about it what is going to make players want to play for the hawks! again we have a no name coach with a ok roster that still acts like kids sometimes........ATL Im sorry but us not even offering a contract to Avery and then getting ready to make a deision on a unproven coach and not having any money to really spend in the free agency just means a downfall waiting to happen.

Damn hate to see the hawks getting ready to ruin a great team the past 3 seasons or so and just looking like they are about to go out or take a downfall as the off-season progress.....Dammit Sund finally messed up! Hopefully he redeems himself and somehow keep J.J. which looks like a harder task now!

• Like 1

I just saw the Avery thing on NBATV.... :cant believe: :temperature: Im seriously concerned now. Avery was my #1 choice with others not even close. The only good thing that can happen now is Doc Rivers walkin through those doors. But if we are making a decision this week then it seems that isn't happening either. I agree it's gonna be super difficult to keep JJ now. I'm seriously bummed. Avery would have been perfect.

I just saw the Avery thing on NBATV.... :cant believe: :temperature: Im seriously concerned now. Avery was my #1 choice with others not even close. The only good thing that can happen now is Doc Rivers walkin through those doors. But if we are making a decision this week then it seems that isn't happening either. I agree it's gonna be super difficult to keep JJ now. I'm seriously bummed. Avery would have been perfect.

you said man,...... you said it. I think it's ok to be bummed right now but like i said if sund can somehow keep J.J. this might or actually wont be all that bad. I must say people think im hating on casey but im not i just rather have a proven coach at this point for the hawks! it just makes sense but I will give Casey some faith under TWO conditions! IF we get casey which seems like it should happen in the next 48 hours he MUST do 2 things or all hope is loss!

Casey must:

1.make sure he brings terry stotts with him! stotts knows how to run a offense not saying he's the best but he is a good offensive minded assisant coach! who could probably be a big help in developing Teague!

2.Somehow he must find a way with Sund and persuade our Star Joe johnson to come back to our team.

you said man,...... you said it. I think it's ok to be bummed right now but like i said if sund can somehow keep J.J. this might or actually wont be all that bad. I must say people think im hating on casey but im not i just rather have a proven coach at this point for the hawks! it just makes sense but I will give Casey some faith under TWO conditions! IF we get casey which seems like it should happen in the next 48 hours he MUST do 2 things or all hope is loss!

Casey must:

1.make sure he brings terry stotts with him! stotts knows how to run a offense not saying he's the best but he is a good offensive minded assisant coach! who could probably be a big help in developing Teague!

2.Somehow he must find a way with Sund and persuade our Star Joe johnson to come back to our team.

I'm just not sure how JJ feels about Casey, Mark Jax, or Drew. I wonder if he likes Drew like he supposedly liked Woody. If so, then I'm voting for Drew. If not I guess Casey. I hate our cheapa$$ slow decision making upper management. I hope some rich guy comes along and buys the Hawks. This is some serious BS.

Two points I need to make.

Don't assume Dwayne Casey is the next new coach. Mark Jackson and Larry Drew are candidates as well. And we never know, there could be an unknown coach that we could be interviewing privately like a Byron Scott or someone of that sort.

Just because we missed out on Avery, doesn't mean that ASG didn't push for him. We had a pretty bad chance of getting him since New Jersey has a GM that has a lot of money to spend. Also, it doesn't automatically mean that Joe is most likely not going to stay. Joe is not going to base his decision solely on who the coach is. It would have been great to hire a reputable coach like Avery, but you can't predict what Joe is going to do with this incident.

I really hate how Hawks fans overreact....

Well, you can now take solace in the fact that with Avery out of the picture, the Hawks are much less likely to have an offense based around the isolation play. Everything from Avery's past coaching experience says that he would have been no different than Mike Woodson relative to running a heavily iso based offense. Those of you who are wanting more of an up tempo style should be happy as well, because Avery is clearly not an up tempo coach.

• Like 1

Two points I need to make.

Don't assume Dwayne Casey is the next new coach. Mark Jackson and Larry Drew are candidates as well. And we never know, there could be an unknown coach that we could be interviewing privately like a Byron Scott or someone of that sort.

Just because we missed out on Avery, doesn't mean that ASG didn't push for him. We had a pretty bad chance of getting him since New Jersey has a GM that has a lot of money to spend. Also, it doesn't automatically mean that Joe is most likely not going to stay. Joe is not going to base his decision solely on who the coach is. It would have been great to hire a reputable coach like Avery, but you can't predict what Joe is going to do with this incident.

overact huh?..........that's whats wrong with the hawk fans now, you might see hawk fans on this message board overreacting but really i can just about assure you that there arent many hawk fans who even care! Moving on i hope you are right about a possible coaching canindate we dont know of especially if it's Scott that would be great BUT here's what I say and here's why I overreact the hawks are owned by the f*cking ASG. I have been a hawks fans for many, many years and I have never trusted the ASG and dont trust them now so before you say overreact think about the history of the ASG! You really think them cheap *ss muthaf*ckas is really having talks with a coach we dont know of! Hell naw they doing what they always have been known for doing and thats being cheap! I just thought we had a chance cause of Sund but hell he finally let me down and decied to go with his buddy Casey im guessing. Im sick of the ASG bullsh**! I have every right to overreact! we need some new owners! Then they wonder why we dont get enough fans coming to rhe hawks games! Well one they not gon come out if no Big names are out there, i think thats a fact. Avery or B.Scott or any other proven coach that's known would have brought fans to come out and possibly attracted a s*** load of good players to want to come play for Atlanta. ATL you should be mad because of these cheap a** owners!...........now that was overreacting but i was being real and true! open yo eyes!

ATL dont trust the ASG!

Well, you can now take solace in the fact that with Avery out of the picture, the Hawks are much less likely to have an offense based around the isolation play. Everything from Avery's past coaching experience says that he would have been no different than Mike Woodson relative to running a heavily iso based offense. Those of you who are wanting more of an up tempo style should be happy as well, because Avery is clearly not an up tempo coach.

We lost more than just that when we didnt get Avery. We lost a vocal leader, a discipline coach that we know for sure is going to put his foot down and not take any B.S. from any player, a guy who can develop a young PG, and a guy who we know will get a players all out of them.......that's a lot. Can Casey fill those shoes? honsetly we dont know and i wasn't really planning on finding out but since A.J. is out of the picture we mind as well now.

Edited by JTB

We lost more than just that when we didnt get Avery. We lost a vocal leader, a discipline coach that we know for sure is going to put his foot down and not take any B.S. from any player, a guy who can develop a young PG, and a guy who we know will get a players all out of them.......that's a lot. Can Casey fill those shoes? honsetly we dont know and i wasn't really planning on finding out but since A.J. is out of the picture we mind as well now.

Well, I know that Dwane Casey is not likely to yell at or embarass his players in public the way Avery Johnson does. From what I know of him, he takes care of that stuff behind close doors. Dwane Casey has already proven that he can get the most out of his players. The job he did with that roster in Minnesota was great.

Dwane is still my favorite for the job, but the more I read about Larry Drew, the more I'm liking him and hoping for him to get a shot. Between Casey and Drew, the Hawks will have a coach that is a basketball junkie.

Well, I know that Dwane Casey is not likely to yell at or embarass his players in public the way Avery Johnson does. From what I know of him, he takes care of that stuff behind close doors. Dwane Casey has already proven that he can get the most out of his players. The job he did with that roster in Minnesota was great.

Dwane is still my favorite for the job, but the more I read about Larry Drew, the more I'm liking him and hoping for him to get a shot. Between Casey and Drew, the Hawks will have a coach that is a basketball junkie.

yeah slightly. i just hope if it's casey he brings terry stotts with him and im for him or giving him some hope anyhow.

Everyone has been saying Joe is gone for the last 6 months because supposedly he wants to 1.) play in front of a more supportive home crowd and 2.) be a team's #2 while someone else is the team's #1. I don't think Joe leaving has much at all to do with the new coach.

"Proven Coach." What has he proved? He's proved that he's not the perfect coach - He lost his last job, didn't the?

Hawks had a "Proven Coach" that they didn't re-sign. Someone else will take the Hawks old "Proven Coach" and be

so happy that they have him, won't they.

Many posters assume that a new, untested head coach is automatically a failure. Admit it. You do. These men

can't possibly be any good as a head coach. No one has the brains or ability to coach like these "Proven Coaches."

Yeah, I know. Dumb old posters that can't understand anything. That's us.

:kickcan:

I just want to say that the wording of this thread's title is just wrong. For all we know JJ is a Drew or Jackson supporter.

How did Sund mess up ? I bet the Nets are paying AJ 2X - 4X what the ASG were willing to pay. How is that the GM's fault ?

+1

people are hatin on the next head coach before one is even made.

granted, in general most all rumors have us ending up with either jackson, casey, or drew, but until a contract is signed, who the f knows. i know i would feel pretty uninspired by any of those guys, but then again, i was completely underwelmed with woody at the helm, too. i won't pretend to know that i know how any of those candidates would do with this roster. without jj, i think it would be pretty safe to expect a slip in the standings.

since we are going to chase after rumors and stories, i'll throw one out there:

the hawks want doc rivers as coach. doc has another year on his contract. he takes the last year off. the hawks hire an "interum" coach in drew or jackson. if they strike lightning in a bottle and the hire gets them to the eastern conf finals, then great, if not, then they fire him after the year and they hire doc rivers.

absurd? absolutely. but not really any more so than than anything else being tossed out there.

btw, has anyone heard woody's name come up in any of the other coaching openings? nj? nope. chicago? nope. philly? nope. nola? nope. maybe clippers? not a peep yet. i'm not going to worry too much about who's hc of the hawks just yet.

• Premium Member

"Proven Coach." What has he proved? He's proved that he's not the perfect coach - He lost his last job, didn't the?

Hawks had a "Proven Coach" that they didn't re-sign. Someone else will take the Hawks old "Proven Coach" and be

Many posters assume that a new, untested head coach is automatically a failure. Admit it. You do. These men

can't possibly be any good as a head coach. No one has the brains or ability to coach like these "Proven Coaches."

Mule, you and I, along wih KB and others have been around this organization a long time. I would have been ok with Avery but it's not the end of the world. The GM is going to get the best coach to coach this team. Sund knows the players and the chemistry much more than us. Larry Drew, Casey, or Mark Jackson might be the man. I'm like KB the more I hear about Drew the more I like him. Mark Jackson still intrigues me.

Calm down Hawksquawkers, it will be ok.

The hawks are 0 for their last three... All unproven.

The Celtics didn't have a great regular season and yet their in the finals. It all proves just how little the regular season means.. The regular season standings suggests the Hawks/Magic are close... The results on the court prove something else.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

• Moderators

Did you ever consider that the Hawks didn't want Avery? I think Sund is looking to change directions from the 'it's all about defense' and 'my way or highway' attitude. We have no idea who Joe wants to play for but nothing indicates it was Avery Johnson.

We could lose Joe but i think we have a better chance than anyone. No matter where he goes he'll be playing for an unfamiliar coach, unless he goes to NY. Joe is going to have to weigh money, winning now, and playing time. The Hawks will be at the top in all those categories.

I'm looking forward to booing Joe as a Hawk next season! Just kidding. biggrin.gif

Avery may not have wanted to coach Atlanta because of the possibility of re-signing JJ. If I was a coach and thought the Hawks might be interested in having JJ play for the team I would not want to coach here either.

ok....what?.....................im putting you on MUTE! (-1)

I just want to say that the wording of this thread's title is just wrong. For all we know JJ is a Drew or Jackson supporter.

How did Sund mess up ? I bet the Nets are paying AJ 2X - 4X what the ASG were willing to pay. How is that the GM's fault ?

Cause if they really wanted this guy Avery Johnson which clearly they didnt, they would have grabbed him but what the ASG really wanted was for AJ to be out the picture which they knew would happen considering he's so popular so they can go after one of these cheap guys to coach the hawks.....but whatever.