• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pre-Draft Workouts?

hawkman

• Premium Member

I read that pre-draft workouts were scheduled for Monday. I haven't seen any news, impressions, interviews or anything. Were they rescheduled? I was very interested in reading about the group that was scheduled for Monday which included Dominique Jones, Terrico White, and Elliot Williams.

Thanks Mr.H!. I haven't seen much of Dominique Jones, but he has an "edge" about him in his interviews. I like that in a shooting guard.

He's an intriguing player to me, but he also has to improve his jump shot. He's a very good finisher and penetrator, but he's not a good shooter at all. He only hits around 39% of his jump shots when he's open, and that falls to around 32% when he's guarded.

• Premium Member

He's an intriguing player to me, but he also has to improve his jump shot. He's a very good finisher and penetrator, but he's not a good shooter at all. He only hits around 39% of his jump shots when he's open, and that falls to around 32% when he's guarded.

Whoa, I didn't know his shooting was that bad. He even admitted that he didn't shoot well in the workout, so that's a valid concern rather than just a useless stat. But I remember some complaints about Tyreke Evans' shot coming out of college as well. From what I've read about him, he's an all around player and tenacious defender. I'm just glad the Hawks are looking at players like Jones, Williams, and White. Of course, if James Anderson is still on the board at #24 the Hawks have to snag him, but those other guys are a nice consolation prize.

Whoa, I didn't know his shooting was that bad. He even admitted that he didn't shoot well in the workout, so that's a valid concern rather than just a useless stat. But I remember some complaints about Tyreke Evans' shot coming out of college as well. From what I've read about him, he's an all around player and tenacious defender. I'm just glad the Hawks are looking at players like Jones, Williams, and White. Of course, if James Anderson is still on the board at #24 the Hawks have to snag him, but those other guys are a nice consolation prize.

He's got the wingspan factor when it comes to defense. My hypothesis on defense is that the longer you are, the more effective you have the potential to be as a defender. I think length is more important than traditional size in that aspect. Dominique Jones is around 6'3.25" in height, but his wingspan is 6'9.25", well above average for a man his size. Those long arms combined with the long arms of Jeff Teague could give a lot of people trouble on the perimeter. Terrico White also has a 6'9" wingspan.

I'm going to do a small ranking at some point where I take into account and weigh heavily wingspan, athleticism, and age along with basketball skills. Right now, the player that I may be the most intrigued with is Larry Sanders from VCU, though I do not consider him at this point to be a strong positional need.

He's got the wingspan factor when it comes to defense. My hypothesis on defense is that the longer you are, the more effective you have the potential to be as a defender. I think length is more important than traditional size in that aspect. Dominique Jones is around 6'3.25" in height, but his wingspan is 6'9.25", well above average for a man his size. Those long arms combined with the long arms of Jeff Teague could give a lot of people trouble on the perimeter. Terrico White also has a 6'9" wingspan.

I'm going to do a small ranking at some point where I take into account and weigh heavily wingspan, athleticism, and age along with basketball skills. Right now, the player that I may be the most intrigued with is Larry Sanders from VCU, though I do not consider him at this point to be a strong positional need.

Although it was his highlights, Terrico White has a buttery jumper and can finish after contact. I didn't get the chance to see much of his ball-handling, passing or defense, however.

Although it was his highlights, Terrico White has a buttery jumper and can finish after contact. I didn't get the chance to see much of his ball-handling, passing or defense, however.

I liked the fact that he said he could play 3 positions 1-3. I guess he has decent handles and passing ability. Has very good size for a shooting guard and has a solid frame to play a little at the 3spot.

I liked the fact that he said he could play 3 positions 1-3. I guess he has decent handles and passing ability. Has very good size for a shooting guard and has a solid frame to play a little at the 3spot.

Sounds like a Dwyane Wade coming out of college (more likely a Rodney Stuckey)

Edited by GameTime

Same thing is what I find intriguing about Mikhail Torrance, 6-5, G, Alabama

I wonder which has the better outlook. Even though I prefer to walk away with two bigs (1 center/1 PF) I have a feeling we will be drafting a JJ or crawford clone.

Same thing is what I find intriguing about Mikhail Torrance, 6-5, G, Alabama

I wonder which has the better outlook. Even though I prefer to walk away with two bigs (1 center/1 PF) I have a feeling we will be drafting a JJ or crawford clone.

Unless we trade up all the decent bigs will more than likely be gone. Dominique Jones is far from a JJ and Craw clone. The same can be said for Elliot Williams. They both attack the basket at a fascinating rate.

Thanks Mr.H!. I haven't seen much of Dominique Jones, but he has an "edge" about him in his interviews. I like that in a shooting guard.

NBA Comparison: Rodney Stuckey

Strengths: Powerfully built combo guard with a polished offensive game ... An instant offense type of player who is capable of big scoring outbursts ... Has developed into a mature, polished guard with a good grasp of the game ... Strong leader who has gained a lot of confidence in his game and plays with a swagger ... Shows diverse offensive skills, with an excellent outside shot plus the ability to create off the dribble ... Understands how to use his strength to create space and finish at the rim ... An solid athlete who makes up for his lack of size with craftiness ... Owns a solid first step and the shiftiness to keep defenders off balance ... Effectively creates offense for himself and others off the dribble ... Has good form on his shot with a quick and compact release ... Fundamentally sound player who does everything on balance and with a purpose ... Uses his strength to post up defenders effectively ... Competitive, high energy player who always gives strong effort ... Handles the ball with ease and rarely makes unforced errors ... Possesses excellent vision and passing ability, which is impressive considering his scoring prowess ... Equally effective playing on or off the ball ... His excellent ball skills should allow him to play some point guard in spot duty ... Effectively utilizes the teardrop instead of taking drives all the way into shot blocking bigmen ... Works hard, using sharp cuts running his defender off picks to free himself for shots off the ball ...

Weaknesses: A tweener lacking a true NBA position but shows the ability to play either guard spot and appears destined to settle into the 2G spot ... Lack of size limits his potential to a degree ... Struggled to play up to his ability before his junior year ... Outside shot has been riddled with inconsistency. Shot can be streaky ... Not an overwhelmingly explosive athlete, but has the hops and strength to finish at the rim ... His lack of size lends to questions about his ability to create shots against longer and more athletic defenders. How big an effect will this have on his effectiveness ... Doesn't get huge lift on his jumpshot, which due to his size is a slight concern ...

Aran Smith 2/3/10

Agreed he looks like a very interesting prospect. Wonder if he will be gone by the time we pick.

I saw on NBAdraft.com and hoopshype.com that Atlanta will select either Armon Johnson, combo guard from Neveda or some under-sized PF. (Aren't those what this team is made up of?) I know the Hawks worked out Greivis Vasquez, but I also want them to look at Jon Scheyer from Duke. Both are capable guards who are 6-5 plus and can shoot. I'd rather have basketball players than these one-and-done 9.8 ppg players we've never heard of.

Holla!

• Premium Member

I think this draft could have some diamonds in the rough after the 20th pick. James Anderson would be my first choice at 24 if he's still there. Any one of Dominique, Terrico, or Elliot if Anderson is not there. For a darkhorse second round pick, I'll take a chance on Devan Downey due to his attack mentality and scoring ability off the bench. Of course we need bigs, but this draft seems combo/2 guard heavy where we pick, so I say just go with it rather than wasting the pick.