• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Smith playing the 3/SF may not be a concern!, with LD as Coach now!

JTB

So this is a very common topic with many of us. Some of us are ok with smith playing SF in the NBA and most of us dont even want to think about smith attempting to play the 3/SF. What gets me is that those that dont want smith to play the 3/SF only disagree because Smith cant Shoot! Which is a reason but I think we should be more concerned if wheather or not Smith can defend other 3/SF in the NBA? In other words can Smith whose known for a pretty good defender and finishing 2nd in this years defense player of the year award, defend the perimeter! That's the BIG question...............yeah anybody who knows about the hawks know Smith cant shoot thats no doubt but if thats your only reason that you dont want him to play the 3/SF it's not a very good one.

Smith can play affective at the 3 if he can:

-defend the perimeter

-keep up with most SF in the NBA which shouldnt be a problem for smith

-run LD's offense gameplan

Let me remind you that LD is bringing a whole new offense to Atlanta and the NBA. It's a new motion offense and knowing LD he's pretty intelligent. LD is going to put players in postion thats best for them to score he said it himself, with that said we wont have to worry about Smith on the perimeter on offense no matter what position he's playing. we just have to worry about his defense and playing other SF in the NBA! Also LD has already planned this offense out and he has even stated that he wants to get smith away from the perimeter! Again it seems as if it wont matter if smith plays 3 or not cause either way he wont even be put in position to even attempt jump shots! Smith will be postioned in the post and horford will probably be in position to take jumpshots a whole lot more this year

Edited by JTB

Smoove at the 3 was never a concern for me. Rodman couldn't shoot much when the Pistons won the championship.

exactly.....if Smith plays good defense on the perimeter we are set and just need a true center!

Smith doesn't play good defense on the perimeter...

well I cant argue with you being that I have or for some reason dont remember smith even attempting to even play the 3 but I for one think if Smith made it a strong priority to defend SF's in this league then he will more than likely succeed! Unlike others I look at Smith as a all around player who cant shoot. Smith has displayed that he can pass for a big, run the break and finish hard at the rim, score in the post and is still working on that, help on weakside defense, can steal with the best of them and guard his man in the post. Im convinced that if LD can get Smith's mindset to change than he can do alot. Smith is a playmaker in the making and capable of alot. His attitude and decisions holds him back from acheving more but we have LD now whom smith likes alot.

• Premium Member

So this is a very common topic with many of us. Some of us are ok with smith playing SF in the NBA and most of us dont even want to think about smith attempting to play the 3/SF. What gets me is that those that dont want smith to play the 3/SF only disagree because Smith cant Shoot! Which is a reason but I think we should be more concerned if wheather or not Smith can defend other 3/SF in the NBA? In other words can Smith whose known for a pretty good defender and finishing 2nd in this years defense player of the year award, defend the perimeter! That's the BIG question...............yeah anybody who knows about the hawks know Smith cant shoot thats no doubt but if thats your only reason that you dont want him to play the 3/SF it's not a very good one.

Smith can play affective at the 3 if he can:

-defend the perimeter

-keep up with most SF in the NBA which shouldnt be a problem for smith

-run LD's offense gameplan

Let me remind you that LD is bringing a whole new offense to Atlanta and the NBA. It's a new motion offense and knowing LD he's pretty intelligent. LD is going to put players in postion thats best for them to score he said it himself, with that said we wont have to worry about Smith on the perimeter on offense no matter what position he's playing. we just have to worry about his defense and playing other SF in the NBA! Also LD has already planned this offense out and he has even stated that he wants to get smith away from the perimeter! Again it seems as if it wont matter if smith plays 3 or not cause either way he wont even be put in position to even attempt jump shots! Smith will be postioned in the post and horford will probably be in position to take jumpshots a whole lot more this year

I think you make some valid points. People making a big deal about what forward position Josh plays is overrated. Many want to conveiniently forget that Josh came into the league playing small forward and went to the 4 out of necessity and poor draft selection (you figure it out). I think Josh's success is tied to how he plays more so than what position he plays. If he's attacking the basket or posting up, he'll be a factor. For example, go back and look at the game against Golden State this season in Phillips arena. He was matched up with Corey Maggette for most of that night and basically gave him the business.

• Like 1

Horf has better lateral quickness and jumpshot than Smoove yet you never hear about him playing the 3 when he has two of the bigger attributes you want from a 3.

Very true and additionally, if you play either Josh or Al at the 3, it provides matchup problems for the other team in post ups and the ability to shoot over another player.

i think you guys forget how good of a shooter Horford is. i would rather him play the 3 than smoove

It's not about the offense with smith at the 3! it's about his defense! If Smith can defend on the perimeter which I highly beilieve he can do than smith can play the 3. As for offense again LD is creating a new offense that involves his players to be in the best position to score as far as their abilities so in other words LD will place Smith towards the post area in this new motion offense he will bring to the NBA where Smith will have a better chance at scoring. So Smith doesnt need to learn how to necessary shoot cause the offense is placing him in position based off his skills.

I think Smoove could blossom into a nice SF. The main attribute's I want out of my SF is to cause havoc on defense, and draw fouls by finishing at the rim. Now we all know that Josh can creat a big problem for the opposing offense, the ability to steal block are a huge factor, however can he play off ball and keep his man infront of him? I think with a little coaching he could become a very good perimeter player. As for the offense, I am not really worried about his ability to shoot, no doubt he will have to work on it being a SF but I think he will still be able to do what he does best, and take it in for the layup or the slam. What I really need to see him work on is his FT shooting and his ability to play the perimeter D. We put Horf at the 4 and all we need is a big man who specializes on D and we have a true playoff team.

I think Smoove could blossom into a nice SF. The main attribute's I want out of my SF is to cause havoc on defense, and draw fouls by finishing at the rim. Now we all know that Josh can creat a big problem for the opposing offense, the ability to steal block are a huge factor, however can he play off ball and keep his man infront of him? I think with a little coaching he could become a very good perimeter player. As for the offense, I am not really worried about his ability to shoot, no doubt he will have to work on it being a SF but I think he will still be able to do what he does best, and take it in for the layup or the slam. What I really need to see him work on is his FT shooting and his ability to play the perimeter D. We put Horf at the 4 and all we need is a big man who specializes on D and we have a true playoff team.

I see that your a new squawker and you have already made some good key points! Welcome to the boards!

• Premium Member

The Bottom line is that if we brought in a big man like Hawes or Heywood, Smith will be playing three.

I agree with the original point that LD's offense will be guard based and will be a motion offense. i.e. Smith will be a slasher. LD has even said that he wants Josh getting the ball going to the rim. The other thing is that on defense, we don't have a clue what will be.

:conversation:

OldOrder: Welcome to the Hawksquawk board. Another fan!

As the old grandfather of this group, it warmed my heart to see another Hawk fan concerned with

free throws. Everyone here knows how I feel about that.

About Josh and his position. Has anyone not thought that perhaps Josh will play one position on offense

and another on defense? Larry Drew has already stated that he plans for Josh to play inside, near the

basket on offense. That's PF. Now, suppose Horford is not playing center sometime as Zaza is in the

game with him (This is just using our present roster, without change) and we use him as SF on offense

and PF on defense. Problem solved.

GO DREAM --- 10-4

FIRST PLACE!

:line dance:

• Premium Member

Let me remind you that LD is bringing a whole new offense to Atlanta and the NBA.

hmmmmm....I wonder if his 'new' offense involves the ball going in the net thingy

Edited by NineOhTheRino

hmmmmm....I wonder if his 'new' offense involves the ball going in the net thingy

Dang! I sure hope so! And, free throws made!

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

GO DREAM!

10-4 FIRST PLACE!