• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Per realgm, Hawks to offer Joe Johnson the max

Jody23

I wish I knew if the max they are talking about was 5 or 6 years? Its good to see we will be there at midnight as well. If Dantoni, the Bulls gm and Gearon/Sund are all at the doorstep who does Joe let in 1st. lol

Edited by NJHAWK

One source told Isola that the Hawks intend to offer Johnson a max contract and "get the deal done."

Max Contract has 2 definitions.

Would 5 years at $92 mill (the max other teams can offer JJ) be enough to keep him as a Hawk ?

Would the ASG & Sund have to go 6 years $119 mill (the max the Hawks can offer him) ?

Either way....so much for the ASG being cheap. That sell of pick #31 makes total sense if your offering a 6 year / $119 mill contract or 5 year / $92 mill contract.

Edited by coachx

In moments of frustration its easy to call them cheap but thats the wrong word to use. Micro managers sounds better, they want to control every little detail even when they have a gm.

• Premium Member

Max Contract has 2 definitions.

Would 5 years at $92 mill (the max other teams can offer JJ) be enough to keep him as a Hawk ?

Would the ASG & Sund have to go 6 years $119 mill (the max the Hawks can offer him) ?

Either way....so much for the ASG being cheap. That sell of pick #31 makes total sense if your offering a 6 year / $119 mill contract or 5 year / $92 mill contract.

If the Hawks do sign Joe to a max deal I will as others will have to shut our traps about them being cheap. Unlike the past summers I hope they sign a veteran C backup and I would say Kurt Thomas is the man.

If the Hawks do sign Joe to a max deal I will as others will have to shut our traps about them being cheap. Unlike the past summers I hope they sign a veteran C backup and I would say Kurt Thomas is the man.

He would be a good option for the LLE. We just can't count on a guy like him all season. He is so old.

Asking the ASG to offer JJ a max deal AND getting a true big for the MLE's $5.5 mill is alot to ask of any ownership group with no cap room.

Flipping Crawford's expiring deal for a big is far more realistic option but they could be counting on his expiring contract to give them the flexibility to resign Horford next year.

Then there is alwasye the Chillz situation.

Man I can't wait until July 8 so the picture becomes more clear.

• Moderators

Hope my algebra is right, but I'm hoping the 6-year target number for the Hawks is [((Max*5)+14)/6], then allow Joe to spread that out over six years however he sees fit. Alternatively, if Joe thinks he can do more over six years with another team, have that team work out a SNT deal so we get something back.

~lw3

Hope my algebra is right, but I'm hoping the 6-year target number for the Hawks is then allow Joe to spread that out over six years however he sees fit. Alternatively, if Joe thinks he can do more over six years with another team, have that team work out a SNT deal so we get something back.

~lw3

[((Max*5)+14)/6],

What kind of equation is that ? Just give us the years and dollars.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

Hope my algebra is right, but I'm hoping the 6-year target number for the Hawks is [((Max*5)+14)/6], then allow Joe to spread that out over six years however he sees fit. Alternatively, if Joe thinks he can do more over six years with another team, have that team work out a SNT deal so we get something back.

~lw3

I think you're talking about the 6-yr, $100M I've been predicting. write%20a%20letter.gif

It's frightening:

Year 1: $13.2M (age 29)

Year 2: $14.6M (age 30)

Year 3: $16.0M (age 31)

Year 4: $17.4M (age 32)

Year 5: $18.7M (age 33)

Year 6: $20.1M (age 34)

-or-

Year 1: $16.7M (age 29)

Year 2: $16.7M (age 30)

Year 3: $16.7M (age 31)

Year 4: $16.7M (age 32)

Year 5: $16.7M (age 33)

Year 6: $16.7M (age 34)

The second one is more palatable long-term.

• Like 1

[((Max*5)+14)/6],

What kind of equation is that ? Just give us the years and dollars.

This is my interpretation of that equation.

The max for 5 years is $92 mill.

$92,000,000 + $14,000,000 = $106 mill over 6 years. That is about $17.6 mill per for 6 years if done flat without raises.

I projected 6 years at $105 mill last week may be enough to beat out a 5 year $92 mill offer.

I think your right on if my interpretation is correct.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yep, I didn't know the actual Max number for Joe's case, but whatever it is, offer the equivalence of a reasonable (to Joe) sixth year (I guessed $14 million would be enough), then let Joe front load or spread out that contract to his heart's desire. Then he either accepts that or uses it as a starting point for SNT offers with other teams. The total has to be enough to allow the Hawks (and not the Knicks/Bulls/Heat/Rox/Clips) to govern the market for Joe.

~lw3

• Premium Member

My logic is that a five-year deal puts Joe as a free agent at age 34, when he'll be lucky to get more than a few million on a short contract. (Look at Ray Allen for a current example).

In fact, I suspect a smart GM would try to give Joe a "flat" contract structure with the max allowable in his first season (30% of salary cap). Based on recent info, that would put the total around $101M.

ASG were set to offer Ilya Kovalchuk of the Thrashers a near $100M Contract to keep him on the Thrashers. Kovy still wanted $10-20 Million more. That contract alone would have handcuff the team. Kovy still wanted more money. They are willing to go that extra mile to keep a key player.

First thing to consider is the source NY Daily News. And there is one thing in the article that I think is suspect; we would rather him walk to NY than SNT.

I do not think him walking for nothing is really the case. We may be willing to match MAX offers for JJ, but losing him for nothing would be hard to recover from. Hawks sticking to their guns ( Sund vs Chilz ) is nothing new; but the source is suspect at best.