• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I'm still pissed about the Pape Sy pick.

mrhonline

What I don't get is why they pick a guy who is only playing something like 14 minutes a game on the oveseas team. If he's that good, wouldn't the French be playing him? Come to think of it, why not draft the best player on the French team? Or if he's gone, at least a starter?

• Like 1

• Moderators

Starting Lineup on your [1990 and after] Picked After #53 team

PG - Sessions

G - Ginobli

F - Shandon Anderson

F - Scola

C - Blount

I didn't realize there had been so many useful role players take that late in the draft. I would have figured it would have averaged out to one every couple of years. Thanks for recapping.

If you take into account guys who were available but undrafted like Chuck Hayes and Anthony Morrow it deepens the pool and makes a pretty compelling case never to throw even these picks away.

• Like 1

We will not see Pape in a Hawks uniform till 2013 if even at that.

Pape Sy. Just look at the name.

Pape Sy.

Does the name Pape Sy look like an NBA stars name to you? Pape Sy's career highlight was getting drafted in the 2nd round.

I know your just trying to be cute but WTF ?

Does Dirk Nowitzki sound like an all stars name ?

If we are going by how a persons name looks or sounds then we are in trouble. Nothing like some good "name profiling" when scouting prospects.

Edited by coachx

What is the percentage chance of drafting a role player in the 2nd round ?

I would be interested to know. My guess is 15%.

What is the chance of signing a veteran role player with the $3 mill they got for pick #31.

My guess is 85%.

Edited by coachx

Pape Sy. Just look at the name.

Pape Sy.

Does the name Pape Sy look like an NBA stars name to you? Pape Sy's career highlight was getting drafted in the 2nd round.

God Shammgod's highlight was being named God Shammgod. I can imagine Magnum Rolle has a great career ahead of him though.

I know your just trying to be cute but WTF ?

Does Dirk Nowitzki sound like an all stars name ?

If we are going by how aperson name looks or sounds then we are in trouble. Nothing like some good "name profiling" when scouting prospects.

Dirk Nowitzki does actually sound like a superstar name. Just rolls off the tounge.

Pape Sy on the other hand..... I just can't picture him being announced at an all-star game.

"Starting at forward for your Eastern Conference All-Stars.... PAPEEEEEE SYYYYYY"

Take a look at his luxurious Wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pape_Sy

I didn't realize there had been so many useful role players take that late in the draft. I would have figured it would have averaged out to one every couple of years. Thanks for recapping.

If you take into account guys who were available but undrafted like Chuck Hayes and Anthony Morrow it deepens the pool and makes a pretty compelling case never to throw even these picks away.

Exactly AHF. The 2nd round is like a free lottery ticket the NBA just hands you. No risk, bad odds, but a shot at a role to starting type player. They needed the money that is obvious. Man I wish we had some owners with some bucks to spend; at least the three million they needed for our vet anyway.

The #53 pick since 1990 . . . and the best player picked after him in bold

Starting Lineup on your Picked After #53 team

PG - Sessions

G - Ginobli

F - Shandon Anderson

F - Scola

C - Blount

Thanks for the work northcyde!

• Moderators

What is the percentage chance of drafting a role player in the 2nd round ?

I would be interested to know. My guess is 15%.

What is the chance of signing a veteran role player with the $3 mill they got for pick #31.

My guess is 85%.

First, you are asking the wrong question if you ask what the chances of drafting a role player in the 2nd round are because we had the first pick in the second round. Using the entire second round's success % as a proxy for the % for the first pick in the second round is the flip side of using the entire first round as a proxy for the % chance of a pick working out that is the last pick in the first round. In both cases, using the entire round is just not a meaningful measure.

On the veteran free agent route, I'll take your 85% and put you all-in.

As posted in another thread:

Here is the list of the free agents we have signed over the last 4 years:

2006-07

Cedric Bozeman

Speedy Claxton

Matt Freije

Slava Medvedenko

Jeremy Richardson

Dijon Thompson

Lorezen Wright

2007-08

Mario West

2008-09

Maurice Evans

Thomas Gardner

Othello Hunter

Randolph Morris

Flip Murray

2009-10

Jason Collins

Joe Smith

Now lets divide them into categories:

Worthwhile players with a future:

None

Worthwhile players without a future that made an impacte:

Flip Murray

Worthwhile role players without a future:

Maurice Evans

Complete Busts On Significant Contracts

Speedy Claxton

Old and worthless

Lorenzen Wright

Jason Collins

Joe Smith

Young and worthless

Cedric Bozeman

Matt Freije

Slava Medvedenko

Jeremy Richardson

Dijon Thompson

Mario West

Thomas Gardner

Othello Hunter

Randolph Morris

This is the free agent history that frames my cynicism. If I believed for a second we would sign a free agent with a future or who could be a significant impact for the team, then I would be more open to this.

Edited by AHF
  • Like 1

Didn't they say that Pape Sy outperformed Stanley Robinson in workouts?

Stanley Robinson may have been the pick if he hadn't been outperformed.

Blame Stanley [not the Hawks] for him getting outperformed . . .

• Premium Member

Didn't they say that Pape Sy outperformed Stanley Robinson in workouts?

Stanley Robinson may have been the pick if he hadn't been outperformed.

Blame Stanley [not the Hawks] for him getting outperformed . . .

What I read suggested that Sy "wasn't overwhelmed by Robinson," not that he outperformed him.

What I read suggested that Sy "wasn't overwhelmed by Robinson," not that he outperformed him.

The Hawks liked him better than Robinson for a reason.

The Hawks encouraged him to not talk to other teams for a reason.

If he had been outperformed by Robinson, the Hawks would have selected Robinson and not made promises to Sy (after Sy originally had to pay his own way to come to the workouts.)

Here is an article about the selection (rough English): http://www.europeanprospects.com/2010-nba-draft-process/pape-sy-soaring-down-south-for-the-tall-pope/

Here is a decent video of his skills: http://www.lnbtv.net/?videos=3099

There was a rumor that Kwame Brown beat out both Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler in a workout to earn the #1 pick. I would take both Tyson's and Eddy's career over Kwame.

Hindsight is always 20/20 . . .

First, you are asking the wrong question if you ask what the chances of drafting a role player in the 2nd round are because we had the first pick in the second round. Using the entire second round's success % as a proxy for the % for the first pick in the second round is the flip side of using the entire first round as a proxy for the % chance of a pick working out that is the last pick in the first round. In both cases, using the entire round is just not a meaningful measure.

Ok.......then what percentage of players drafted at #31 turn out to be a role player at the NBA level of ZaZa, Flip Murray, or Mo Evans with long 10 year careers ?

Here is the list of the free agents we have signed over the last 4 years:

2006-07

Cedric Bozeman

Speedy Claxton

Matt Freije

Slava Medvedenko

Jeremy Richardson

Dijon Thompson

Lorezen Wright

2007-08

Mario West

2008-09

Maurice Evans

Thomas Gardner

Othello Hunter

Randolph Morris

Flip Murray

2009-10

Jason Collins

Joe Smith

Now lets divide them into categories:

Worthwhile players with a future:

None

Worthwhile players without a future that made an impacte:

Flip Murray

Worthwhile role players without a future:

Maurice Evans

Complete Busts On Significant Contracts

Speedy Claxton

Old and worthless

Lorenzen Wright

Jason Collins

Joe Smith

Young and worthless

Cedric Bozeman

Matt Freije

Slava Medvedenko

Jeremy Richardson

Dijon Thompson

Mario West

Thomas Gardner

Othello Hunter

Randolph Morris

This is the free agent history that frames my cynicism. If I believed for a second we would sign a free agent with a future or who could be a significant impact for the team, then I would be more open to this.

Here your are distorting my words.....and ZaZa got left off.

I said a $3 mill a year free agent...........not undrafted guys making $700 K or LLE vets.

Edited by coachx

• Moderators

Here your are distorting my words.....and ZaZa got left off.

I said a $3 mill a year free agent...........not undrafted guys making $700 K or LLE vets.

First, Zaza wasn't signed in the last 4 years so there is no reason he should be on my list of all free agents we signed the last 4 years.

Second, Zaza was signed and resigned both times for more than $3M so he can't be a comparison if you are talking about a $3M/year free agent. I am skeptical we get anyone worthwhile as a FA but if you list who you think are FAs that will get $3M/yr and would be willing to sign with the Hawks that might help.