• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin Article: "I Play to Win!"

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/jun/24/williams-remains-close-to-his-hometown-roots/#ixzz0sLjccL4L

Excerpts from a simple, pleasant article on Marvin Williams' summer so far, courtesy of his hometown paper back in the Evergreen State. BTW, belated happy 24th birthday to the Gemini.

They might want to work on that basketball camp name. "Marvin Williams" and "Attack" are antonyms, and besides, "Attack Youth Camp" doesn't resonate well.

And don't get on the writer for his error and misquote (I don't mean the "I Play to Win" quote; trust me, you'll find what I'm talking about). They can't possibly have knowledgeable sports editors way up there; I thought Kitsap was something you put on a hotdog with relish...

Marvin Williams Keeping Close to His Bremerton Roots

By Chuck Stark (Kitsap Sun)

Posted June 24, 2010 at 8:34 p.m

BREMERTON — It’s been five years since Bremerton’s Marvin Williams made his way to the podium in New York City after David Stern called his name at the NBA Draft...

As special as that day was, and as exciting as it was to win an NCAA championship in his only college season at North Carolina, or play on an NBA playoff team that won 63 regular-season games, Williams said having a community center in downtown Bremerton named after him “is probably the biggest thing that’s ever happened to me.”

Williams had been asked about the facility that Emmanuel Apostolic Church plans to call the Marvin Williams Family Center. His family has attended the church for a long time, and Bishop Larry Robertson said they’re naming it in honor of the hometown hoops star because of the support he’s given to the church.

“To have a city willing to name a community center after you, that’s such a blessing,” Williams said. “I’m really excited for it.”

Williams is also excited about hosting his first basketball camp — Marvin Williams’ Attack Youth Basketball Camp — July 6-9 at Bremerton High School.

“It is a chance to kind of give back,” Williams said. “Kids are begging for something to do in the summer time and I love being around those kids. I’m probably going to be more excited than they are.”

David Hudson, a former Rainier Beach and University of Washington player, is helping Williams run the four-day camp. Hudson’s operated similar camps for Jamaal Crawford, Nate Robinson and other Seattle-area NBA stars.

Williams, who turned 24 on June 19, has stayed close to his roots since becoming a young millionaire. On his bio in college, he listed Bremerton as his favorite place to visit and he meant it...

The 6-foot-9 forward is currently in Chapel Hill, N.C., taking a philosophy class while continuing to work toward his degree and participating in some serious pickup games with current and ex-Tar Heels...

On new Atlanta head coach Larry Drew, who was promoted to the top job after serving as an assistant to former head coach Mike Woodson: “The organization brought in some big-time guys who had head coaching experience (for interviews), but Drew has been doing it a long time. He has some great ideas and the players are excited to have him as the head coach.”

On whether his role, which seemed to diminish some this past season, will change: “There’s no telling. I haven’t even thought about it. ... All I’ve ever been about is winning. Period. You’ll never hear Marvin Williams complaining about his role. I play to win.

On this year’s Atlanta team: “This was the best team I’ve been on. People talk about our early (playoff) exit, but they don’t remember we won 63 games. That’s a lot of wins in the NBA. We had a great year.”

~lw3

All I’ve ever been about is winning. Period. You’ll never hear Marvin Williams complaining about his role. I play to win.”

I am sure Woody and JJ like Marvin for this reason. #2 pick does not complain about ISO JJ or going from 4th to 5th/6th option after having his best season. May not be a good thing but is certainly not a horrible thing considering our rumored bad locker room chemistry at the end of the season.

If Marvin gets back up to 14 and 6, he is worth the money.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/jun/24/williams-remains-close-to-his-hometown-roots/#ixzz0sLjccL4L

Excerpts from a simple, pleasant article on Marvin Williams' summer so far, courtesy of his hometown paper back in the Evergreen State. BTW, belated happy 24th birthday to the Gemini.

They might want to work on that basketball camp name. "Marvin Williams" and "Attack" are antonyms, and besides, "Attack Youth Camp" doesn't resonate well.

And don't get on the writer for his error and misquote (I don't mean the "I Play to Win" quote; trust me, you'll find what I'm talking about). They can't possibly have knowledgeable sports editors way up there; I thought Kitsap was something you put on a hotdog with relish...

~lw3

I'll keep it to a simple cliche line: Talk is cheap.

• Like 1

• Moderators

That's so awesome. Awesome.

Yes it is! It sounds like something out of an Airplane-type movie. I just can't figure out if the Youths are the victims or the aggressors.

• Like 1

Marvin seems like a guy that everyone gets along with. He has good personality and knows all the right things to say. I've actually been watching recorded Hawks games and other recorded Hawks related special edition episodes they had on NBA TV, and Marvin looks like he has a good relationship with everyone. You'll see him laughing, talking, celebrating, smiling with everyone in the team. He's a team player, give him credit for that.

I just hope and wish that he shows aggressiveness and willingness to score out there. He's fundamentally a good defensive player, he just needs to get it together on the offensive end and have a consistent production going.