• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

KD Gets Max Extension (5/85): Horf's Turn?

lethalweapon3

Since Horford will be a RFA there is little, to no, risk in waiting to match a deal next off season.........if there is even a season barring a lock-out.

I know that you know this but much of the board is totally lost when talking contracts.

Al you get, be extending Horford early, is to save a couple mill by hoping he accepts something below the max for a player with 4 years of expierence. Why would Horford accept less then his max ? Surely his agent knows their is high chance that the market will demand that for him next year.

The max for Horford is 5 years at $85 mill b/c at the end of his contract he would just be a 4 year veteran......not like JJ's 6 year $119 mill.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

I wish we would sign him now and get it over with it. Something in the $50-$60M range should get it done. This team has shown no interest in the past on getting deals done those on rookie contracts after their 3rd year. Preferring to let the market set it price. While I don't mind that it is a huge risk. Never know some team which was shutout this year may come along and offer Horf the max. Let just throw two teams out there Bulls and Nets.

• Like 1

Expect the same process as with Josh Smith. In other words, Sund tells Horford to go get the best deal and we will match. The only difference is that taking the qualifying offer is a legitimate option and there should be more teams with cap space.

Since Horford will be a RFA there is little, to no, risk in waiting to match a deal next off season.........if there is even a season barring a lock-out.

I know that you know this but much of the board is totally lost when talking contracts.

Al you get, be extending Horford early, is to save a couple mill by hoping he accepts something below the max for a player with 4 years of expierence. Why would Horford accept less then his max ? Surely his agent knows their is high chance that the market will demand that for him next year.The max for Horford is 5 years at $85 mill b/c at the end of his contract he would just be a 4 year veteran......not like JJ's 6 year $119 mill.

I agree. Horf is going to demand more money than Smoove's situation awile back. I don't think 50-60 million gets him to sign. Nothing is going to happen with him until this time next year. In an earlier thread, Horf is quoted as saying he doesn't know...which is the right answer. We can pretty much let 2010-2011 season go forward...and not worry about this and speculate. I don't see an extension happening now, I would be ecstatic if it did, but Horf and his camp will let this all play out after next season.

Edited by buckeye242424

• Premium Member

KD is worth more.

Thankyou. There's no way Horf's contract should equal Durantula's. KD is a player you build your franchise around for years to come. You locka guy like that up with max money because you know he IS the franchise.

• Like 1

Thankyou. There's no way Horf's contract should equal Durantula's. KD is a player you build your franchise around for years to come. You locka guy like that up with max money because you know he IS the franchise.

You miss the point.

Some people just never get it. Its not about Horford being as good as Durant. This is not MLB where there is no salary structure or cap.

So if another team offers Horford 5 years at $85 mill you just allow our allstar center to walk away for nothing or take back garbage in a S & T ?

Edited by coachx
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

You miss the point.

Some people just never get it. Its not about Horford being as good as Durant. This is not MLB where there is no salary structure or cap.

So if another team offers Horford 5 years at $85 mill you just our allstar center walk away for nothing or take back garbage in a S & T ?

No need to get personal. I wasn't attacking you. I was just agreeing with the person who said KD is worth more. I understood the ASG's position on the JJ signing, but there's NO WAY Horf should get a max deal. At least not for his current production. Now if he's a 17-20ppg and 10rpg guy next season, that's a different story. But as it stands right now, signing Horf to a max deal would be insanity.

Let me clarify, I was saying KD is worth more than 85 mill, and I believe Horford will land those kind of numbers easily. And Coach yes I realize that, I just think the rule is stupid. KD to me is a max player.

In a league without a salary cap Durant would be worth more. Do you realize that is the most a 4 year NBA veteran can make under the current CBA ?

Right. People just don't understand that salaries are restricted. I think its pointless to continue to try and mention that fact over and over again.

Right. People just don't understand that salaries are restricted. I think its pointless to continue to try and mention that fact over and over again.

Its the only hope for many visitors of this board to be better informed.

Nothing is worse then a board full of fanatic fans who have no clue about the CBA in how free agency or trades work.

It is painful in that its the same people that don't get it no matter how many times you try to simplify it for them.....so your probably right. No need in me being a broken record.

Al you get, be extending Horford early, is to save a couple mill by hoping he accepts something below the max for a player with 4 years of expierence. Why would Horford accept less then his max ? Surely his agent knows their is high chance that the market will demand that for him next year.

The max for Horford is 5 years at $85 mill b/c at the end of his contract he would just be a 4 year veteran......not like JJ's 6 year $119 mill.

post of the day just for that

Congrats to K.D. and his jumper that should have a portrait in the Lourve Museum. I don't know if I want to live in a world where Joe Johnson gets paid more than Durant, and yes payroll geeks, I couldn't care less about the CBA or any of that garbage you could use to justify such a thing. I'm only concered with on-court matters and common sense, not spreadsheets and ridiculous rules that would even allow such a travesty. That is all.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

Rudy Gay got 5 years 82 mil.

If Rudy Gay is getting 5 Years 82mil and Durant 5 years 85mil then you best believe Horf is getting right in between that.

Exactly! If the Hawks wanted to sign Horford to an extension now, then he will likely get the same as Kevin Durant. The NBA salary structure league wide makes the worth of the contract almost meaningless, particularly when marginal players like Rudy Gay are getting near max deals for their level of experience.